Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Side Surround Speaker Placement
#136387 04/24/06 12:02 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Everyone's going to laugh their butts off, but I just watched my first action movie with the Qs (it's been over a year since I got them) and they sounded fantastic, even being mounted that high and that far forward.

Wow, that's an amazing display of patience. Or apathy, I'm not sure...

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#136388 04/24/06 01:19 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Edwin, from the diagram it would seem that there'd be no significant problem with the #1 location for the left surround. If as you now say it would be about 5" from the wall, that should give enough room for the sound from the tweeter on the wall side to bounce off toward the listening position.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#136389 04/24/06 06:45 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The wall where the QS8 would be mounted (location #1) is 18". Based on the the specs, the speaker is 11", which means there would be 7" between the side wall and the speaker.

If you think 5" is not a problem, it probably be ok for me to mount the speaker at location #1.

Alternatively, I could probably move the seats about 1 foot to the right, and get a speaker stand for the left speaker. With the speaker stand, I can place the speaker a little more to the right, which I think would allow the speaker to be free from the side wall. But QS8 speaker stand is expensive and there will only be about 2 feet from the right wall to the seating. The limited space between the seating and the right wall means I probably need to mount the right speaker to the wall, which creates the mismatch (one speaker stand for the left and one wall mount for the right speaker). But those are non sound quality issue. The only real issue that I think I might have from this is the fact that the left speaker would be so close to the left seat (almost directly next to it) while the right speaker has about 2 feet from the right seat. But I should be able to eliminate any problem from this by adjusting the volume of each speaker, correct?

www.geocities.com/edwinsukri

I would prefer having the speaker mounted on the left wall (original location #1) since the wall mount bracket is cheap and it looks nicer for the room. However, the revised position with speaker stand would probably ensure better sound quality for my 6.1 system.

What do you think? Anyone else beside John who also think 5-7" from the speaker to side wall is not a problem? I sure hope more people think that way since I'm kinda leaning toward mounting the speaker on the wall

#136390 04/24/06 06:53 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ok, I'm really dumb in html . Sorry that I can't put it into working link, but the url is this:

http://www.geocities.com/edwinsukri/index

#136391 04/24/06 10:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite

Just my .02, but I feel mounting the left speaker on the wall is preferable to using a stand, even if it's only a few inches from the other wall. However, I still feel mounting the left surround where I showed it in the diagram I altered (position #2, basically) would be even better. JohnK is usually correct, and I often defer to his wisdom, but I can't help feeling that having the left surround mounted in a corner, while it will direct the sound toward the listening area, it would I think (emphasis on the word "think"), cut off the sense of anything happening in the left rear 90 degree quadrant.

Also, In my room, when I'm seated in my sweet spot, my surrounds are slightly behind the listening area. However, when I'm seated at my desk, the surrounds are just in front of me. I know that others, like Ken, are content with their surrounds either beside the listening area or in front of it, but I feel the difference between my two seats is quite noticeable. When I'm in the sweet spot, I get a more enveloping sound field, like I'm in the middle of things. When seated at my desk, everything seems to be taking place in front of me, with little happening in the 180 degrees to my rear. But, that's just me. You may have a completely different experience.

The best advice I can give you, is go with what you think will work best. If you put the left surround on the wall (position #1), and you're content with what you're hearing. VIOLA! If you're not, then you can always take it down, spackle the hole(s), dab a little paint on the spackle, and try the speaker in position #2. I've moved my surrounds several times, and I've become adept at spackling and painting. (indecision is a terrible thing, but it can result a learning experience )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#136392 04/24/06 04:11 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for all of the suggestions. But you are right, Ajax. Ultimately, it would be my own ears that can decide whether the speaker placement is good or bad. I guess I will try mounting the left speaker on the wall first. If it turns out that it is really really bad, than I'll try position #2 or get a speaker stand for the revised position #1. If it's still acceptable, I guess I'll just leave it there.

I still have some time to make up my mind. I still need to put curtain over the big windows in the room, get couple book shelves to cover the bare wall at the back of the room, and maybe couple paintings to hang on the wall just to reduce the bare wall. Still need to look for a good A/V receiver too I don't think my 7 years old Pioneer is up to par with Axiom speakers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters