Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
placing M80's with a TV in a "cut out wall"
#138493 05/15/06 05:20 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
hello everyone,

I'm currently building a home and I would like to put an 80-500 in my family room which measures 20x16. My fiance does not want a "entertainment center" piece of furniture-rather she wants a cut-out in the wall to put the tv and speakers and custom cabinetry to place the components. I looked around the internet to see if I could find a picture that kinda resembles the "cut out" if you don't know what I am talking about.
http://www.carolinacabinetry.com/gallery3.html
second row, first one, with red paint.

we aren't doing the exact thing in the pic, but i just wanted to show the cut out, i haven't decided where im going to put the cabinets-it won't look like the ones in picture. my question is, she wants the speakers to fit flush with the tv in the cut out part of the wall. what is this going to do for sound, and how far do i need to make the cut out extend so the speakers have some room to the side? I'm just wondering what it is going to look like asthetically; we haven't gotten to the stage of designing the cut out or cabinets (doing it in a month or so) I kinda wanted to hear what advice ya'll had first. if any of you have a "cut out" portion for tv and speakers, id love to see a picture, also, if anyone has some design ideas re: cut out and custom cabinetry for components, i would REALLY appreciate that as well.

jason

ps
tv is a 52628 mits dlp

Re: placing M80's with a TV in a "cut out wall"
#138494 05/15/06 05:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Link to photo (Hope I got the correct one)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#138495 05/15/06 06:25 PM
shareholder in the making
I think some others will reply, but I'm afraid your not going to have very much seperation between the two m80's, or 60's for that matter if you hide them in that small opening. Besides you need some beathing room behind the speakers to let the Low Bass frequencies to filter into the room, my guess is they will not give you the same experience as in a normal setting. You might want to consider the Architectural OnWall/InWall series like the W22's, since your going to have a Sub for the lows. I believe Axiom recommends around 8ft+ for the M80's for seperation. I have my M60's about 13ft apart.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#138496 05/15/06 06:40 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
thanks ajax for the pic and it is the correct one!
in regards to the depth of the cut out, the picture above is used as reference so one can know what I refer to a "cut out" as. in regards to separation; if we make the cut out 8-10 ft across, and add approx 4-6 ft posterior to speakers, do you think that would suffice for proper separation sound? have ya'll ever seen a cut out that was properly spaced, ive been looking at user HT pics posted on here and audioholics.com, and i haven't seen 1 cut out type enclosure yet. im beginning to think that my fiance needs to look a little further into other options...

i have the floorplan to the room in question in an adobe format, if i posted that perhaps that could help in terms of suggestions? however, i dont' know how to just take out 1 picture of the entire pdf file, it is a file of 10 or so views of the plans, i just want to post 1, any thoughts how i could do this with adobe?

jason

edited:
whoa, i just realized it really isn't a wall cut out!!!! it is more of a cabinet with space for the tv so its flush with cabinet blast!!! ok so i really need to get this adobe file on here....

Last edited by viscera912; 05/15/06 06:43 PM.
#138497 05/15/06 07:19 PM
Jason-
If you want to mail it to me, I can cut out the photo and post it for you....

I'll send you a PM ith my e-mail address...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#138498 05/15/06 10:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Often times, the wife and the HT do not mix well. Wife's like in wall out-of-sight speakers, but those speakers suffer big sound quality drops.

I would suggest putting the M80's on either side of that piece that you have shown. The VP150 could easily fit right above the TV. The M80's look very nice, espcecially if you get a custom finish, and can really just blend in with your home decor.

Good luck!

P.S. the TV could be the only thing in the "cut out" as you were saying. The axioms could be off to either side. Just keep in mind putting speakers inside another tight enclosure will really dampen the sound, so you need to make sure the M80's have at least 6-10 inches all around them. I know of a member on these boards who has put a tower speaker in an enclosure like the one you are considering, but made sure that there was plenty of space around the speaker.

Here is a pic:

You could have the M80's in a large space like that in wall, or simply have them on either side. I suggest having them on either side, but if you really wanted everything recessed, doing something like the picture above would work very well. Keep in mind the M80's are almost two feet deep, so you could probably have 1-2 feet "in the wall" and the rest sticking out a little bit.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#138499 05/16/06 02:10 PM
Here is Jason's Layout:

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#138500 05/16/06 06:34 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
thanks to mark for splicing my floorplans!!

as you can see the fireplace is on the northeast corner with the cutout in-between it and a closet. my fiance wants the tv and speakers to fit in this cutout, room is 20x16 so the cutout can be as large or small as possible, we haven't set that part up yet. also, she wants to place a L shaped-sectional couch and chaise lounge thing right in front of the cut out. thus, the surrounds will have to be placed on either side of the door out to the patio. i like the way Tharkun placed his M80 with that much space around the speaker. i had sent Tharkun a PM a couple weeks ago re: proper amt of room around his M80 and he replied back he would get back to me in a little while so I'm kinda anxious to hear his recommendations!

the Mits 52628 TV needs a base in the cutout, or like Tharkun, I can have a "shelf" for it to sit on, and place an opening such like Tharkun's for the R/L M80's and VP150. i would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations re: cabinet design, speaker placement, links to other pictures of a similar setup, or anything. I don't recall the dimensions of Tharkun's room, however, knowing that my room is 20x16, would i need the amt of breathing room he has around his m80, more, less? thank you very much!!

#138501 05/19/06 05:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Having a 7.1 setup would be sweet, but a 5.1 might be more practical for your room. Either way I, recommend hanging the QS8's from the ceiling like sirquack had done so wonderfully in his basement. He will be more than happy to post a picture or two of his setup .

The reason I recommend this is because you have a huge open area to the back right of your room, and there really isn't a good place to put a QS8 on a wall. That is my opinion, anyways.

I actually would recommend you do what tharkun did, but with 3 M80's, and not have a VP 150. I would make the "cut out" as wide as possible, and give each M80 a 2-3 foot wide cutout "chamber" and have them stick out slightly from the cutout. Then you should have about 1-2 feet of extra space inbetween each speaker, which would be prime space for shelves to put DVD's and movies in. Then, on either side of the TV you could have your equpiment, and some shelves to put some actual stuff on, like books, pictures, whatever.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#138502 05/21/06 12:18 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist

hello all,

Sirquack, could you please post a picture of your QS8's on your ceiling I would love to see how you set it up. As for the 7.1 yes that would be wonderful, however, at the stage of finances that I am currently in, a 5.1 is gonna be it for now. As for a 3rd M80, wow, that is just too tempting for me...

This is what I was thinking, please feel free to critique, at the rear of the family room I was planning on putting the QS8 on the walls on either side of the door out to patio. This was the reason for putting the "niche" in by the breakfast nook, the wall was extended so I could place the speaker there. Also, I was thinking about putting the subwoofer in the corner by the window. The only problem with that is it is flanked by 2 windows, thus, if volumes get higher and higher I am wondering what that is going to do to the panes? The fireplace is taking up one corner of the room, and other than the place by the windows there isn't any corner to place the sub. Oh by the way, my fiance wants to put a L shaped sectional with a chaise lounge in front of the TV cut out area with a rug.

jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020