Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
So many questions...
#138759 05/18/06 04:21 AM
A
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
I have so many questions, it seems the more I research the more I learn and the more questions pop up. Hubby and I are building a house and are putting a dedicated theater in the basement. Our room is 15x28 with ceiling starting at 8' and ending up at 10. We have decided on the Epic 80-600 system and have somewhat decided on a Denon AVR 4306 and the Panasonic PT-AE900U. I have read great reviews about the projector, so am mostly convinced about it. the receiver sounds good, but the review I heard said it's hard for a newbie. And both hubby and I are new, but we are capable of learning. So based on the dimensions of the room, would this reciever handle these speakers without having another amp hooked up? I don't necessarily think that we'll be deafening ourselves in this room with crazy loud music, but I also don't want to be limited on our options . Also I have looked at a few places that have what I think is called media centers where there are hundreds of DVD's stored and hooked to the "client" for watching. One place told me $5500 for a set up with 3 clients and this other guy told me starting price is $7,000 for one client, but others can be added. I would love any information and advice on our set up. We are movie watchers and music listeners. but not everyday. Although today I went to a home that had a theater and they played the phantom of the opera song in there and it nearly brought tears to my eyes because the sound was so intense and amazing!! So i am thinking I could be found down there immersing myself in the music. we have a fair bit of money to be spent on this project, but like everyone else, we need the most bang for the buck! Sorry for the novel, i just feel like I have so many questions.

Thanks!!

Re: So many questions...
#138760 05/18/06 04:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I have so many questions, it seems the more I research the more I learn and the more questions pop up.

Welcome to the dreaded life of a scientist, or blooming audiophiles.

In reply to:

Our room is 15x28 with ceiling starting at 8' and ending up at 10. We have decided on the Epic 80-600 system and have somewhat decided on a Denon AVR 4306 and the Panasonic PT-AE900U.

Lovely choices. I'm considering that Panasonic myself.
In reply to:

So based on the dimensions of the room, would this reciever handle these speakers without having another amp hooked up?

Yes and if you are at all concerned about turning up the volume beyond the capabilities of the receiver, that Denon has "pre out" connections such that you can hook up an external amp to power everything from just the main speakers to the rest of your system if necessary. A small addition in the future if it is needed. Otherwise, test out the setup with the receiver first. If you don't run into any distortion or clipping problems at your standard listening volumes, you are all set.
Good used amps (e.g. Anthem at 225W/channel rating) can run as little as $600 Cdn.

Sorry i can't comment on the dvd client thing.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#138761 05/18/06 04:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i would reccomend one of the sony mega changers..

i have one it holds 400 dvd's/ cd's onkyo also has a mega changer, i think theirs holds 600 dvd's and the onkyo can be linked to give you a total of 600 disks.. and going with either the sony or onkyo will be WAY less than 5000$ i think the sony is at best buy/ circuit city for 400$ or so.. and the onkyo product is in the same price range i think..

the way that i kept all of my disks in order was i made an access database, with muptipal fields, so i could search by many different options, actor, type (action comedy ect) and you could get a in expensive dell and place it on a table if you have one in your room, I kept my laptop on my coffie table, sense I had my HT set up in my living room, and this worked out wonderful, I could find exactly what I wanted with in a minute. I also have a projector, and I definaly think this is the way to go, nothing like watching HD on a 100” image, I don’t even want to watch regular tv after watching HD.. one other item you might want to think about adding is a video scaler

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30_packs.php#packabt102

dvdo vp30, you any input in any input out, so you can always have 1080p/I output..

just an idea.

#138762 05/18/06 12:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome to the forum! Always good to have another distaff forum member. Sonicfox, Amie and, I believe, Gena are our current female members.

In reply to:

have so many questions, it seems the more I research the more I learn and the more questions pop up.

As Chess said, "Welcome to the dreaded life of a blooming audiophile." This hobby proves the old adage "the more I learn, the less I know."

In reply to:

...based on the dimensions of the room, would this reciever [Denon 4306] handle these speakers without having another amp hooked up?

From what I've heard, it will be more than adequate for your room and your system. It's a highly respected brand and model. And, repeating Chess, again, if you want more, you can always add a separate amplifier at a later time.

In reply to:

the receiver sounds good, but the review I heard said it's hard for a newbie. And both hubby and I are new, but we are capable of learning.

We all started out "new,"and we all learned. You will too. You can always seek help here and at other forums. We're always glad to lead someone astray . The worst thing about your choice is that Denon's poorly written (translated?) manuals can drive one to distraction. But hang in there, ask questions, and we'll be happy to help you figure it out.

I'm no help with the "media center" thing either. Apologies. I'm not sure how a media center works but that seems a lot of money to spend for the convenience of being able to call up a movie, particularly in light of the fact that you aren't an everyday movie watcher. My ignorance of how a media center works prompts the question, what is your objection to a good universal player, like the Denon 2910 or 3910? Should you, like me, become interested in high resolution music, SACD and DVD-A (and judging from your comment about the Phantom of the Opera music, I would recommend you give it a try), you'll want a player capable of playing those formats.

In reply to:

today I went to a home that had a theater and they played the phantom of the opera song in there and it nearly brought tears to my eyes because the sound was so intense and amazing!! So i am thinking I could be found down there immersing myself in the music.

What equipment, particularly speakers, are you currently using? Knowing this will give us a good idea if you are going to experience the rejuvenation of your music listening that so many of us have enjoyed. I was approximately a 95% movie watcher/5% music listener when I replaced my 30 year old stereo equipment. Now it's closer to 50/50. And, when I have a well recorded CD (preferably an SACD) of music that I really enjoy, and can turn off the lights, sit back and close my eyes, I sometimes think I have croaked and gone to heaven (which, at my age, is not an unreasonable possibility...............except for the "gone to heaven" part. )

In reply to:

we have a fair bit of money to be spent on this project, but like everyone else, we need the most bang for the buck!

Well, though there are others as well, you've come to one of the best places for "bang for the buck."

In reply to:

i just feel like I have so many questions.

Fire away! Just keep in mind that you'll be receiving a myriad of opinions and you'll have to separate the wheat from the chaff. In the end, only YOU can tell what is best for you. But, as I said, we'll be glad to lead you astray.

Once again, welcome!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#138763 05/18/06 12:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
With so many questions, I guess that you start somewhere and work through the list. If you have some time, I think that you will find it somewhat enjoyable.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#138764 05/18/06 01:51 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I would also recommend you read about the Sanyo Z4 projector. Spend some time on http://www.projectorcentral.com for more information. The Panny is also a good projector, I love my Z2. The Denon won't have any problems driving that system, and you can always buy an aditional amp to drive the 80's if you want. Or, you could be seperates right now versus a receiver. I also would say you don't have to spend 4-5,000 on a solution for your DVD's. I originally planned to by a Un-Raid Server from Lime Technology to rip all my movies to hard drives, but it is easier to just put the DVD's in my Home Theater PC, you can still use a Media Center software for music, internet, HD TV watching, etc...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#138765 05/18/06 02:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
For those who are interested in finding out about "media centers," this could be what ablack311 is talking about (ablack311, please correct me if I'm wrong). Kudos to Dennis for finding this site.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#138766 05/18/06 02:54 PM
old hand
old hand
Media centers are nice and convenient but they are far from necessary for most Home Theater setups. The only time they really become necessary is if you have a HUGE movie collection. Personally, I'd suggest putting the Media Center on the back burner until you figure out the receiver/speakers. I'd worry about room acoustics long before I'd spend a moment thinking about a media center. If you are dead set on getting one, you can look into HTPC's (Home Theater PC's) that can store your movies on a hard drive or look at the Escient Fireball system which is far from cheap but works very well.

Professional Axiom Lurker
#138767 05/18/06 03:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

#138768 05/18/06 03:10 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M

Greetings….

I’m about a year ahead of you. I started this same trip as you, and can emphasis with you. Lots and lots of info…..

I wouldn’t worry too much about the learning curve on AVR’s. They all suck in that regards. It doesn’t matter what you get, there will be some irritation and plenty of booze to drink before you figure it all out. The Dennon you are looking at is a dandy from what I can tell. You should have no problems driving the M80’s with it either. There’s lot’s of helpful folks on this sight that can walk you through the setup, so no worries there.

I just picked up a panny 900au myself. To be real honest about it, if I were buying today, I’d get the Optoma H72. While the 900 is supposed to be a great projector, I think the H72 has the winning edge. http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/OptomaHD72p1.php The Optoma has HDMI inputs and it will vertically stretch the image with either component or HDMI input. What this means is that it’s one of the very few projectors that will manipulate a digitally up-scaled image. With component, you just get 480P verses 720P or 1080i. Too much info for this post on these pro’s / con’s, but check out the 2.35:1 screen input thread I started a few weeks ago. Lot’s and lot’s of screen information on that thread.

I haven’t even opened the box on my 900, and I’m not sure if it has HDMI or DVI inputs (its specs say HDMI-HDPC and I don’t have a friggin clue what the hell that is). DVI input has a max VIDEO data stream of 8 bit, verses the HDMI of 12 bits. Don’t ask me what that means technically, because I don’t know! I just know it’s a good thing as 12 bit information is 1.5 X’S that of 8 bit. The Optoma has HDMI and HDMI-HDPC. Maybe someone else can answer that….JOHN??

I don’t know what all that is about the DVD program you mentioned above. Not a clue……sounds funky to me though. I’d just pick up a player and be done with it. I need to buy one too. We are right in the middle of a time where DVD technology is taking a big step towards something new. You have two immerging technologies that are in competition with each other (remember bata and laser disks?). In one year I’m fairly certain that there will either be HD-DVD or Blue ray DVD technology in the main stream, or possibly both. There are currently two different manufactures with HD-DVD players on the market now (Toshiba and RCA). Within one month, there will be two Blue Ray players on the market (Pioneer and Samsung). The Toshiba and RCA HD-DVD players run $500, while the Pioneer will be $1800 and the Samsung will be $1000. The picture quality of HD-DVD is vastly superior to standard DVD, but the players have first generation bugs. ………………so, all that speculation aside, I have made the decision (just yesterday) to pass on these new players and pick up an OPPO standard definition DVD player. It has an amazing picture that scores higher than the $4000 Dennon player, and it’s only $200. In few moths when the HD DVD / Blue ray war is over, hopefully there will be reasonably priced and dependable players available. And if we are all real lucky, there will be universal players that play both technologies. But in the meantime, the $200 OPPO will do just fine.

For your speaker choice, I’d recommend that you go with a third M80 as your center channel speaker if you have room under your screen, which I think you will. Not much more $$$ than the VP.

Later. ………mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020