Professional Axiom Lurker
Re: So many questions...
#138770 05/18/06 03:32 PM
A
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
Thanks everyone for your replies! I think i've decided to put the media center on the back burner for now. I can see how it isn't necessary, and if I got one it would have to be one that stored them, as currently hubby and I only own like 15 dvd's!! LOL. I would want to borrow collections of my sister and anyone else I know and save them! Is that legal? I like the idea of putting another M80 in the center, but what exactly is the difference between the m80 and the center that comes in the home theater package? I will need to look into the other projectors, i knew as soon as I posted that I could be swayed another direction. The funny thing about me doing all of this research is that this theater is hubby's dream and I'm the one spending ALL of my time figuring it out!!! I guess that shows i'm the bigger nerd Ajax: I don't have a theater yet, where I live there is a home show that shows off local home builders, and someone else's house had the theater playing phantom. I think he said the speakers were called alon or elon or something to that effect, it was a smaller room than mine though. Thanks everyone again for your help, and I'm sure i'll be asking more and more questions

#138771 05/18/06 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Ajax: I don't have a theater yet, where I live there is a home show that shows off local home builders, and someone else's house had the theater playing phantom. I think he said the speakers were called alon or elon or something to that effect, it was a smaller room than mine though.

AH! I mistakenly assumed you were referring to one of the Phantom soundtrack CDs, and not the actual movie itself. The sound you heard was probably encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 (an audio format used for most movies). It is a higher resolution format (I believe) than standard CDs, as are SACDs and DVD-As.

Are you saying you have no speakers at the moment, not even an ancient stereo to which you listen? If that's the case, then your audio must come from your TV, and all I can say is "are you in for a treat" (the same is true even if you do have that ancient stereo)

"Alon" or "Elon" doesn't ring any bells. A google search comes up with these monsters, and this small set. There seem to be other models as well, but I can't find a home web site for the manufacturer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#138772 05/18/06 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Found this info :
In reply to:

Recently Alon is now known as Nola speakers(Alon backwards)due to change in partnership in 2004.

NOLA

#138773 05/18/06 04:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Okay ...................think I should the Grand Reference IV System in the piano gloss black, it only list for $ 160k.

#138774 05/19/06 04:09 AM
A
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
I think I came across Nola when I was searching, but didn't think anything of it, the ones this particular home had were built in. I saw quite a few homes today that had theaters, but the were mostly built in. Someone once told me that when you build them in you have to box them because the sound from the speakers will escape from the back of them, which is why we are looking into these.....does anyone put axioms in wall? I don't really care either way if they are built in or not. So how do you guys recommend hooking up the projector? HDMI or rgb. Our electrician ran conduit in our theater so we would be able to chang out the wiring of the projector, and then when we were talking to him he says that we wouldn't be able to pull "monster" cables through this though, they won't fit. WHAT THE!!?? um that's the point so we could put anything through it...so now that leads me to yet another question...how should I hook it up? and if we get the panasonic 900 what is hdmi to dvsomething or other...??

#138775 05/19/06 06:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

how should I hook it up? and if we get the panasonic 900 what is hdmi to dvsomething or other...??

This tutorial might help explain about connections.

How to connect your Home Theater

HDMI and DVI are digital connections and provide the highest quality video. Though there are differences, you can connect DVI outputs and inputs to HDMI inputs and outputs with a DVI/HDMI cable.

DVI =

HDMI =

Speaking of cables, you'll find most of us recommend avoiding Monster cables. The quality is fine, but they're grossly overpriced. For quality cables at incredibly reasonable prices check out Monoprice.com. I think you'll be amazed at their prices compared to Monster, or even other brands from online vendors.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#138776 05/19/06 06:07 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Wow. I'm glad they tell you you can flip a Nola LCR Reference upside down if you use them vertically. I never would have figured that out...

One just has to wonder about a company whose prices range from $700/pair items to $160K items...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#138777 05/19/06 04:16 PM
A
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
Wahoo!!! hubby and i just got our check for our theater equipment...So i'm just curious...we have $28000 to spend on the whole room...keep in mind we've already spent 1400 in framing for the soundproofing, and about another $2000 for the double drywall we are doing, and I"m not sure the cost on the insulation yet..another 4300 or so for furnishings and carpeting...we will have about 20k to spend on equipment...so I'm wondering how you guys would spend the money!

#138778 05/19/06 04:31 PM
L
LRA Offline
devotee
devotee
L
well order my a pair of QS8 and I will be thankful!
Will even send you a postcard .. no-charge!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters