Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: m50s or m60's with outlaw rr2150 stereo receiv
#138791 05/20/06 09:54 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
No, the number of speakers doesn't change that; the sensitivities are identical.

The power consumption spec means that with both channels operating at full rated power, i.e. 100 watts per channel, about 400 watts are used. Amplifiers of that class are about 50% efficient at full power, so 400 watts are used to output 200 watts.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#138792 05/20/06 10:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I was going to ask the same question, as there are several forum members using the Outlaw monoblock/Axiom combination and are very happy with them.

I'm one of them!

Oh, and by the way...

"Enjoy the music. Trust your ears. Smile at those who won't wear blindfolds."

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
#138793 05/20/06 02:28 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

You'd have more than enough power for either of them.

One of the things I have learned since acquiring a power center is how little power it take to run my Axiom setup in my room.

At what I would call loud levels, the M80s use 6 watts or less. They will jump to the high 20s for some explosive HT scenes.

The whole system; TV, Receiver, 3 channel amp, 3 monoblocks, dvd, power center, run on less than 3 amps most of the time and less than 6 amps when "cranking it up".

BTW, I have found little difference in the sound of my LCR running on monoblocks or 3 channel amp. The 3 channel may be a little more responsive but I didn't blind test.

bugbitten #138794 07/16/06 10:19 AM
B
regular
regular
B
Hey, my first post here, hope it's not considered bad form to drag up an old post like this, but I have the same question, with some different details.

I'm looking at the same amp, and the same 2 speakers, but my main concern is matching the speakers to the room. My space here is about 2000 ft^3, and seriously live...hardwood floor, plaster walls and ceiling, large windows at the rear, and a glass fronted bookshelf built in on one wall. Based on the comments in here, I'm thinking the "laid back" sound of the M50s might be more appropriate? (and maybe I should pick up an area rug and some curtains )

Brock #138795 07/16/06 03:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Brock, what kind of speakers are you running now?

By the way, it's good that you are thinking about the room because it can have a great impact on the sound of things.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #138796 07/16/06 07:44 PM
B
regular
regular
B
Quote:

Brock, what kind of speakers are you running now?

By the way, it's good that you are thinking about the room because it can have a great impact on the sound of things.

At the moment, none...this is going to be my first step up from lousy HTIB type stuff, and I don't even have that at the moment because it didn't make the move out here (not that I didn't want to bring it, but while helping me move my brother dropped 'em down a flight of stairs. I guess in the long run he probably did me a favor).

My plan at the moment is to start with a good pair of main speakers, the Outlaw rr2150, and a good universal disc player (still hunting on this piece of the equation). I'll then add pieces as I can to get to a full 5.1 setup. I'm looking at the Outlaw stereo receiver instead of a surround receiver because it'll probably be a while before I start adding on, and it seems foolish to tie myself down to a surround receiver before I really need it - there's likely to be a better unit at a better price by the time I'm ready for it, but I figure a decent stereo receiver will always have a place somewhere in my home.

Brock #138797 07/16/06 09:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, you can check and see if anyone is near you for an audition. This way you can at least get a handle on how Axioms sound. It would seem important to get a speaker in your room, though, just to see how the room acoustics will affect it.

Talk to Axiom. If I remember correctly, I don't think custom made speakers are returnable. Maybe order a vinyl finish, live with it for a couple of weeks in order to evaluate it, and if everything sounds good put in an order for a custom finish. Then return the vinyl test speaker. I don't mean to be so liberal with Axiom's return policy, but give them a call and discuss the situation. They'll do their best to steer you in the right direction.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #138798 07/16/06 11:01 PM
B
regular
regular
B
Quote:

Well, you can check and see if anyone is near you for an audition. This way you can at least get a handle on how Axioms sound. It would seem important to get a speaker in your room, though, just to see how the room acoustics will affect it.

Talk to Axiom. If I remember correctly, I don't think custom made speakers are returnable. Maybe order a vinyl finish, live with it for a couple of weeks in order to evaluate it, and if everything sounds good put in an order for a custom finish. Then return the vinyl test speaker. I don't mean to be so liberal with Axiom's return policy, but give them a call and discuss the situation. They'll do their best to steer you in the right direction.

Yea, I do think I should definitely do an audition before putting in an order...I didn't know the bit about the custom finishes not being covered by the return policy, but I guess it makes sense - I can certainly see "lightly used" custom speakers being a little hard to sell. I guess I'll try to work out a local audition first, and if everything's a go after that, get in touch with Axiom to work out the details for trying something out in my own room. Thanks for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters