Rating: 3
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
De-sensitized zone?
#139611 05/25/06 05:11 PM
Amie Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Like most families, we have had our share of spats, arguments, and out-and-out fights on the boards. A number of suggestions came up over various threads in the last couple of days, and I think it would be a good idea if we talked about them.

I think it's unrealistic to ask people not to post about any controversial topics since you're such a chatty bunch, but I think we can look for a solution to this so that it doesn't result in members being offended enough to leave over them.

As a first suggestion, we can make a new section for this sort of thread - an 'at-your-own-risk' sort of place to bring up those topics that you are burning to discuss. As part of this, I think we should also move threads that become hot in those ways down to that section. Typically we haven't taken a really active moderator role in things like that, but if that is the next evolution of the boards than I guess we should.

For those of you who don't know Axiom's stand on people's posts and deleting them, we do believe that you stand on what you have said. I think that constantly deleting offensive posts in fact encourages them - people figure the insult will magically be erased and I don't think that is healthy. Just my opinion.

I would also like to point out that we now have the option of putting someone on our 'ignore' list, and that might be a good idea to use as well.

There's my piece - please reply with your thoughts and hopefully we can come to a resolution. Eg - assigning one of our crazy new graemlins to let other members know - gently - that they're crossing a line! Better suggestions welcome.

Re: De-sensitized zone?
Amie #139612 05/25/06 05:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds good to me. I was a part of a recent thread that was twisted this way and that, and people would defend their comments by slamming others and so forth. In general, we all get along pretty well, so this sound be good.

I also like the idea of being able to ignore someone, but the problem is, we have had the rare user come in, just flame people like crazy, and so forth. They were asked to leave because it was so bad. Anyway, my example is this. Let's say that someone chooses to ignore me, I know, I'm sooo tough on people, then I could keep slamming that person and they wouldn't even know it.

Stick with the "At your own risk" forum, and don't worry about the ignore. It will just hide the issues.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Amie #139613 05/25/06 05:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Amie, I think a De-sensitized zone is a great idea, should help in keeping the forums on topic

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Amie #139614 05/25/06 06:12 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I just don't think having a war zone will help. Some folks will go to war over any issue.

It is easy for me to decide when I wish to ignore a thread.

bugbitten #139615 05/25/06 06:28 PM
devotee
devotee
I can see both sides... A Desensitized zone would make sense to avoid clashes in other parts of the forums and keep threads on subjects. But as bugbitten mentioned this zone could encourage conflict since it would come accross as an area where anything can go (which I'm sure isn't what Axiom wants).

I don't think there's an easy answer really... I have to say that I enjoy this forum and the maturity of the posters and I really hope we can keep it that way and minimize threads that go crazy. Most of us come on here to read and talk about Axiom - audio/video, and I think we would all apreciate it if people would keep that in mind when they post. I can find political/religious/etc arguments in any forum... I can't find such a great forum as we have here anywhere else and I think we should keep it that way guys.

Ok my rant/monologue is over.

bugbitten #139616 05/25/06 07:09 PM
shareholder in the making
I agree with Bugbitten, this is a speaker forum, there are plenty of blogs and other forums they can go to if they want to talk about that stuff. I would say we need some way of keeping people on topic and close posts if they get carried away.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Amie #139617 05/25/06 07:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
First, let me say that I loathe political correctness, and, in general, am opposed to censorship. On the other hand, I greatly favor tact, and consideration for others. Because I have the "right" to say something doesn't necessarily mean that saying it is the "right" thing to do.

The difference between censorship and tact is that tact is voluntary. It is the generous gift of taking other peoples feelings, beliefs, and opinions into consideration before stating one's own. It is a gift I enjoy giving. That's not to say that I haven't stepped on some toes at one time or another. I'm sure I've failed at times. But, at least I am secure in the belief that such was NOT my intent.

I feel that, all too often, things go to downhill because someone is too lazy, to self indulgent, to inconsiderate to think of others before stating just exactly what is on their mind. For example, I have taken exception to some posts which have included references to bodily functions. Since this is a public forum with unknown numbers of women and children, and not a locker room, I feel this is not the place for that.

If that makes me appear to be a namby pamby in anyone's eyes, so be it. I can assure you it's not the words that bother me. At my age, most of you would have to use each of those words 100 times a day to catch up to the number of times I've used them. What bothers me is the self indulgent lack of consideration for others. That has, and will, always bother me, and I suspect I will always respond negatively to it. I am a firm believer in the doctrine of everything in it's time and place. I don't know about the "time," but I feel strongly this just ain't the "place."

One of the mistakes we regular board members make is we start being proprietary about this board. We start thinking of it as "my" board. I think this is what Mike was referring to in his last post, and he has a point. It's not "my" board and it's not "your" board.

There are people on this board who say and do things I don't like and don't respect. There are people on this board who hold opinions with which I disagree. None of that matters. I try very hard to use only two standards for my approval/disapproval of any board member. Does that person make a meaningful contribution to the collective knowledge of this board? Does that person treat others fairly and courteously? (disclaimer: perfection is neither expected nor required. However, striving for perfection is.) If I, within reasonable expectation, can answer "yes" to those questions, then it doesn't matter whether I like them or agree with them.

Regarding politics. I am, I suppose, opposed to political threads. Not because I am opposed to discussing politics, but because we seem incapable of discussing it without getting into a cat fight. We tend to make it personal by attacking the other person as being an idiot for holding their opinion, rather than disagreeing with the opinion itself (see my sig, which is meant more as a reminder to myself than to anyone else).

Regarding religion. I believe there is no God. I would hope that I would not lose anyone's respect for believing as I do, but since it is the truth, I will bear the consequences. However, though I cannot understand how anyone does believe (just as they cannot understand how I don't), I would never try to impose my belief on anyone else, or talk them out of their belief. I try very hard to respect other's beliefs, no matter how different from mine. I only have trouble with believers when they try to impose their beliefs on me or others.

I am, at this point, opposed to a "De-sensitized zone" for basically the same reason that Axiom is opposed to deleting posts and threads. My fear is that such an area, where it is implied that one can say anything one wants, will simply degenerate into one big flame war and insult fest, and be a most unpleasant place.

Frankly, after agonizing over this post for an hour, I can offer no credible solution to the problems we face. Hopefully, something I've said will spur someone else to offer reasonable solutions.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #139618 05/25/06 07:33 PM
devotee
devotee
Ajax put it better than I could ever have.

SirQuack #139619 05/25/06 08:05 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

I agree with Bugbitten, this is a speaker forum, there are plenty of blogs and other forums they can go to if they want to talk about that stuff. I would say we need some way of keeping people on topic and close posts if they get carried away.

I think this is the best idea. I have been frequenting AVS and the structure they have is basically No religion (I do happen to believe in God ) No politics etc and they shut down threads that transgress or generally get out of hand. Yes, it does require a lot of extra effort and they have many moderators to keep things in line as it IS a big job.

skyhawk669 #139620 05/25/06 08:32 PM
Quote:

Ajax put it better than I could ever have.

And far, far, far better than I could have!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020