Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Purchase with Questions
#139698 05/25/06 07:25 PM
S
Sound12 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is my first Axiom board post and my first Axiom system purchase. I sold some old equipment (paradigm monitor 11s, HSU VF2 Sub, and a paradigm 370v3 center) and purchased Axiom M80s, an EP600V, a VP150, and QS8s from the Outlet. Expected arrival is the first full week in July. I have a Parasound HCA-1500A two channel amp, a Parasound HCA-1205A five channel amp, an Outlaw 950 preamp, a Denon 5900 Universal player, a Samsung Directv receiver with optical digital audio out but no HD, an Airport Express, and a very old Samsung 27” tube TV (no digital connections, waiting for the price to come down on a Samsung plasma HP-S5053). My home theater is setup in a finished basement which is rectangular shaped about 800 square feet twice as long as wide with the HT equipment at one length of the room and the rear speakers of the 7.1 system at the other end (Polk FXi3s dipole/bipole).

I know my preamp is long in the tooth, but what is the purpose of upgrading if I connect the video directly from the source (DVD and Satellite) to the TV, and music is bypassed for both two channel and multichannel. I only need the preamp abilities to decode movie soundtracks. Which I don’t think is worth the investment in a new preamp. Am I missing something?

Those of you who have been around the hobby for a while, can you let me know what I can expect going from my old setup to the Axiom system; with movies, two channel and multichannel music? Also if anyone is a Sub guru, can you share your expertise as far as the placement of the EP600V? In addition if you have any input as to bass management since the Denon, the Outlaw and the EP600V all have base management capability. Which component should do the base management for movies versus two channel music, versus multichannel music?

Whew... that’s a lot of questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New Purchase with Questions
Sound12 #139699 05/26/06 02:40 AM
shareholder in the making
S12, welcome, and I'll give you some of my thoughts. From what you describe for your use, there doesn't appear to be a compelling reason to replace your Outlaw 950.

On a new plasma TV, have you considered instead the excellent Panasonic 50" units?

If you mean that your space is about 20'x40' it would seem that you should have the FXi3s(bipole mode)closer than the back wall, since you'll probably be sitting well into the front half of the space. Some type of mounting, possibly from the ceiling, about 7-8' back from the listening position would be more suitable for the back surrounds. The QS8s for side surrounds should be directly to the sides of the listening position.

The better bass management would likely be the Outlaw for two channel material and movies and the Denon if you were playing DVD-As/SACDs.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #139700 05/26/06 04:16 AM
S
Sound12 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
JohnK, thanks for the reply I appreciate your comments. Several people at the AVSForum indicated that the latest Panasonic's did not present natural skin tones, and looked too much like a painting. I briefly viewed the 50" Panasonic and the 42" Samsung at Sears. But my viewing was too brief to form an honest opinion. Also who knows how the department stores have adjusted the settings to push one brand over the another. I did like the black frame of the Samsung over the silver on the Panasonic. Is there a reason you suggested the Panasonic over the Samsung?

I agree with your comments about the rear speakers, but the wife would freak if I had large speakers like the Polks or Axioms hanging from the ceiling. She has been fairly tolerant of my audio/home theater hobby so I’ll compromise on the rear surrounds. Do you have any input as to what I can expect going from Paradigm Monitor 11s to the Axiom M80s also going from the HSU VTF2 to the EP600V. I was also wondering about the VP150. I have read some people report that the VP150 has an off axis problem, do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks again.

Sound12 #139701 05/26/06 05:01 AM
In the stores where I saw both the Panasonic and Samsung plasmas the Panasonic looked better and exhibited nothing unusual relating to the skin tones. Also note(library?) the outstanding results they achieved in the recent March Consumer Reports tests.

Since I haven't heard either the M80s or the EP600, I can't speak to the comparison you propose, but you may have read previous posts here decribing the extremely high rate of satisfaction with each.

My preference has always been for a vertical center for wider and smoother horizontal dispersion rather than a horizontal MTM configuration, but again I have no experience with the TMMMT configuration of the VP150.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Sound12 #139702 05/26/06 05:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just to add onto the topic of the VP150, I think the VP150 does a great job as many on the board will attest to, I have not noted an off axis problem, but there have been some on the board that have replaced their 150's with vertical speakers.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Sound12 #139703 05/26/06 12:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I can comment on the difference between the HSU Research VTF-2 and the Axiom EP600 as I have made that progression myself. My listening area is small to medium and the VTF-2 blended beautifully with my Axioms. I had no complaints at all. However, when I got the EP600, I realized that the output and musicality of the Axiom sub was far superior to the VTF-2. For both movies and music the EP600 covers the LFEs very nicely. I can't comment on the Moniter 11s or the M80s as I have not heard either. I do enjoy my M60s though. Welcome to the forum.

David

Sound12 #139704 05/26/06 04:54 PM
buff
buff
If you like the black, look at the comercial version of the Panny. Same TV, flexible inputs, and lower price.

As for bad skin tones, to each his own. Judge for yourself. I think the Panny is top notch!

M80's QS8's VP150 SVS 20-39 PC-Plus Sony 60" SXRD Denon 3805
keend0 #139705 05/26/06 07:08 PM
S
Sound12 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely have to do some homework comparing the Panny and the Sammy before I buy.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup