Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Home Theatre Questions
#1404 02/06/02 01:24 AM
A
Agent Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This is a 2 part question. First, for a mostly-closed room that's 20x16 feet, would 4 M1Ti speakers (2 front and rear) with a VP50 center channel and an EP125 sub be a good match, tibre-wise and everything else? Also, if I were to go with the Qs2 rear effect speakers, I can't mount them on the wall, so is there another way I can use them without losing any sort of effect? By the way, I'd be using a Harmon/Kardon AV120 or a Marantz SR4200 for power. Any input on which receiver is better?

Edited by Agent on 02/05/02 08:39 PM.

Re: Home Theatre Questions
#1405 02/07/02 11:15 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The system you are looking at is very well matched. Your only limitation will be achieving high volume levels in your room. This may not be a concern for you. We have a CSS1 stand which is designed for the QS2s if you cannot wall mount them. It has an adjustable pole so you can set the hieght anywhere up to 48". As for the recievers I have not heard any complaints from anyone about either but I have no first hand experience.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#1406 02/08/02 12:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perhaps some background would help.....I'm currently using a JVC RX-888 amp with Cerwin Vega towers for the front, Cerwin Vega center and Sony towers for the rear. The JVC amp is rated at 100Wx5, and that setup there makes way too much noise for what I deem practical for my living room. I was hoping that the Axiom setup that I chose would not necessarily be louder, but loud enough so that I can enjoy my movies. As far as the speaker stands go, I can't go that way at all, it's either cheapo stands or I use the M1's. Would the QS2's be better or worse than the M1's if I didn't have those specific stands? Thanks again!

#1407 02/08/02 01:18 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Without the ability to wall mount or stand mount I think the M1s would be the best choice for the surrounds. The QS2s with the down firing mid-bass would be a problem in your setup. You are definitely making the move from loud to accurate between these systems. The EP125 is an excellent sub woofer; I think it will give you what you are looking for with this system for movie watching

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#1408 02/09/02 04:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What speakers would you suggest for my living room? It's a 40W Harmon/Kardon amp, and the actual viewing area for movies is 16x16 roughly (the dining room and living room are attached) My goal is to get good sound, loud enough where I will have lots of fun with it, but stick to a very strict budget.

#1409 02/09/02 11:24 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
For your system we may want to boost up the sub-woofer a bit to get over those open areas that are not part of your listening area but are open to it. Could you tell me how large the overall space is, both the listening area and the other areas combined? Also what is the number associated with the strict budget? From here we can get your system to be as dynamic (fun) as possible while suiting your particular needs.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#1410 02/09/02 02:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My living room/dining room is roughly 16 feet long by 20 feet wide. When you're dealing with the actual living room itself, where the movies are watched from and from there alone due to the lack of seating positions, the area is effectively 16 feet long by 14 feet wide. I have my TV against one wall with my mains and all the components, and I have a couch at the other end of the room with 2 speakers on either side of it, sitting on boxes. I have to revamp my current system with one from Axiom with exactly $1000 CAN.

#1411 02/09/02 05:48 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The best compromise for your space and budget would be the M3s, VP100, and EP125. If you go with cabinet blemish products then you will be almost at your budget number. You could then use a pair of your existing speakers for the surround channels with an eye to change those for QS4s down the road.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#1412 02/09/02 08:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've read many reviews of the M3Ti speakers, and I was very impressed. If I were to go the blemished speaker route, would I be able to go to the authorized retailer here in Ottawa to get them, or would I have to get them direct from you. THe store offers a package price if you buy a receiver, which is what I'm doing. On top of that, I get an employee discount as well at that store. So assuming I can get the blemished speakers from them, would the package price and/or employee discount still apply?

#1413 02/10/02 03:37 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I think that it is unfair to ask Ian to honour the individual dealers sales incentives and specials. As to if the dealer would substitute FO for regulars and still honour the incentives would be strictly up to the dealer and his/her business practices.

Regards,

BBIBH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup