Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Where Does Television Sound Come From?
#140662 06/05/06 03:05 PM
LHawes Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hope that doesn't look too dumb as a post title but I was wondering where the sound I hear through my Onkyo receiver and M22 speakers comes from when watching a TV show, and what effects the quality?

I've noticed some television shows sound wonderful and others not so great so I was wondering if I'm not using the TV speakers then the source of the sound is what? The station itself? And does HBO (or any station for that matter) send a clearer signal and that gets processed through the tv tuner then through the receiver?

Does the the TV tuner have an effect on sound quality? Like if I got a killer latest and greatest tv would the sound be better, or is it only the recevier/speaker combo and the processing in that receiver that effects the sound?

Am wondering because it seems some shows sound better but I'm not sure if that's true what can I do to make them d sound better.

Thanks

Larry

Re: Where Does Television Sound Come From?
LHawes #140663 06/05/06 06:12 PM
veteran
veteran
I am going to try a shot in the dark here, but I would wager to say that a cable signal is a cable signal, unless it's HD cable.

I would also venture to say that you should watch TV through the receiver in 'Stereo' mode, and not surround mode (unless the station sends a signal for that sort of viewing -- such as HD cable stations).

I generally watch TV through 'stereo' mode, and most channels are exactly the same. Maybe you could get a cable 'amplifier' which would boost the cable signal a little, thus, increasing the sound...

Again, that's all speculation...I am no cable TV guy...but routing the cable through the receiver works for me.

Good luck...hope that helps.

LHawes #140664 06/05/06 06:17 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I have found that the quality of sound varies from cable station to station and OTA is the same.

What ever box you use for tv is splitting out the signal coming in over cable, sat or OTA. My digital/analog feeds OTA/cable go through the tv tuner first then out to the receiver. The Denon sees analog for some cable, no definitive signal type for others. The Denon sees 2.0 or 5.1 for OTA.

Charter cable puts out a lot of crappy signal. However they process their feed is the best and mostly worst they can do.

Would a newer tv do better? It is possible. If you have multiple tvs in the house, just listen to the same channel on the different tvs. Some do better than others. But if your getting a crappy signal, there is not much your processor can do.

inthedeck #140665 06/05/06 08:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Maybe you could get a cable 'amplifier' which would boost the cable signal a little, thus, increasing the sound...

Not much an RF amplifier can do once the SNR ratio's been dropped... you raise the noise floor with the audio signal then.

As for where the audio comes from - the station, of course. For OTA and cable, it's a mono or stereo signal, for digital cable, it is sometimes a Dolby Digital signal (for us here it's a 2-channel signal... your provider may differ)... and satellite, could be just about anything.

As for audio quality... again, talking mostly about cable here... still what most people here have (though I understand OTA and Satellite are much bigger in the states) for quite a while, everyone was bashing tape at Master Control, VTR operators loading and unloading 2" quad hi-band, then Type-C, then U-matic, then BetaSP/SX... now a lot of stations are going to video servers. And when Phineas J. Beancounter finds out they can store 100hrs of programming at great quality or 1000hrs at "at least it's not VHS" quality... guess what data rates the servers get set for.

Bren R.

LHawes #140666 06/05/06 11:19 PM
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Here in Minneapolis I have Comcast HD.The digital out's on the STB all put out Dolby 5.1 regardless of analog-digital-or hd.However the analog outs will vary And put out the broadcast signal whether Dolby-mono-stereo.It also will vary depending on if I am watching digital or analog channels with the digital being better.My Hitachi has digital outs but if I run the analog signal in it only passes through what it gets coming in.Basicly if you have a stb with digital outs your odds are better using them.

M60-VP150-M3-EP350
Boston AVR7120
kingaljr #140667 06/06/06 02:09 AM
LHawes Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the replies. My Set top Box (I hope that is what STB stands for) processes all the signal before it gets to the receiver so I imagine the capabilities are in the box and the original signal. I have seen only a few time where I can use anything other than stereo, which I use all the time.

So if I understand the science the sound originates with the station (Doh), then gets processed through the set top box, then gets played with or passed through the receiver depending upon whether it is digital, digital surround, or analog and not much of this sound reproduction having anything to do with the TV itself.

So a great receiver MIGHT make a difference but if the station is broadcastng junk there's nothihg but junk going to get through to my wonderful M22's. And on the rare occasion a station is broadcasting in dolby or some other such modern new technology, then my receiver can decode that and voila' surround sound from the TV?

Anything I missed? EDIT: Can't for the life of me figure out what OTA stands for.

Thanks
Larry

LHawes #140668 06/06/06 02:20 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Over The Air - ie, antenna

LHawes #140669 06/06/06 12:43 PM
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
The cable companys all pretty much work the same.They recieve signals from satelite and then pass that signal through the cable.Most network and premium cable shows broadcast Dolby digital 5.1.Your reciever should de-code the signal and you should see the result on the display panel.When I used either basic cable or premium with a box and ran the l-r cables into my reciever the display would change with the station being watched,eg.mono-stereo-dolby prologic.To get Dolby digital you need a digital out on the box otherwise you will probably get pro-logic.My box has both optical and coax digital outs and outputs DD for all channels.I don't think the tv matters that much because of the limitation on the built in speakers,when you change channels about the only change might be the stereo indicator changing.If your box has a digital out by all means run it direct to the reciever and more than likely you will get digital on all channels,really nice if you get music channels through cable.I believe satelite also outputs all digital to.
Kind of a long winded reply but yes,using analog into the reciever makes you a lot more dependent on the original signal from the station and about all you can do is play with various sound fields on the reciever.BTW if your box is digital it should still work fine even if not HD.Look for a digital out.

M60-VP150-M3-EP350
Boston AVR7120
kingaljr #140670 06/06/06 01:08 PM
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Just a quick follow up to my follow up .If your box lets you access an on screen menu,tv guide-recordings-search etc,see if you have a audio set-up option.Mine is a Motorola and if you can modify the settings look for a audio compression menu.If it is set to low or off your sound can vary quite a bit.A heavy compression setting will equalize the sound between channels especially if you have 2-tier cable,some analog,some digital.This will have no effect on a digital output but with standard l-r it might make quite a difference.

M60-VP150-M3-EP350
Boston AVR7120
kingaljr #140671 06/06/06 05:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Most network and premium cable shows broadcast Dolby digital 5.1.

Most do? Is that true down there? Again, I'm curious... not up on what American stations are making available.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 365 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup