Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: m50 to m80 upgrade questions
MarkSJohnson #140883 06/09/06 05:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I'm actually considering a pair of M50s. I think they would be nice down in my studio for XM, etc...

As I've said here many times in the past, I've wanted to try M3s to see how they would handle "less than stellar" recordings and sources, but I've found myself thinking that if it was music only (no HT) and very deep bass wasn't needed, the M50s would probably do very nicely instead of M3s...

M50 do a fine job all by themselves for music only. If the room isn't too hideous!! For near field monitoring all the good stuff is there in my room, just no real imaging to speak of!(unless I do the room rearangement, put up the towels, redistribute the pillows and put drapes on the fireplace routine, whew.)

I didn't have the M50s in the old house where my M3s did the hologram thing, so I don't know how well they really compare, but the M3s always did a fine job!(not QUITE as good in this house, though).

I do wonder about the new(current)v2 M3; as the graphs show not a bass hump, but more of a mid sag.

....but that's a different story.

Are the M50s a good set of speakers for those who understand that they are not exactly M60s and aren't getting them for the reduced cost only?

Absolutely!!

And like the M3s; they don't know how to make a rude sound!
Rich.

......unless it's "intended" to be rude.

F107plus5 #140884 06/09/06 07:22 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Not to start a flame er....scirmish, but I wonder if the M60 has been pulled a little closer to the uh, "Pleasant side"?

This is an interesting question. Does anyone have an answer??

F107plus5 #140885 06/11/06 02:17 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Regarding +5's question "Out of those; I wonder how many actually buy the M50s when they'd really rather have the M60s or 80s, but the wallet gets in the way? "

I just placed my M50 order via the factory outlet. I was almost set on a pair of M22's, but stretched my budget to the M50's. I do not own a sub (yet), and I'm upgrading from my Paradigm Titans which I've owned for approx 14 years now. I expect the M50's to give a new dimension (actual bass) to my system that I do not currently have.

I liked the description of the M50's as being "layed back" and "smooth". Since my two sons (5 yrs / 7 mo) enjoy many VCR tapes and DVD's of "questionable" sound quality (Thomas the Tank Engine, Veggie Tales), I didn't want a speaker that would sound at all harsh. Having never heard the M22's or the M60's, but reading plenty of reviews, I decided that the M50's probably fit my bill perfectly.

Of course, if budget was no option, perhaps I would have chosen the M60's. I'm not there, since even FO, the M60's are out of budget, so I don't know what I would have chosen, but I'm so looking forward to simply enjoying my M50's that I'm bursting at the seams (and driving my wife crazy).

Our usage is probably 98% HT, 2% music, so I'm not going to turn out the lights and try to determine if a certain musician's chair is scraping against oak or walnut floors... ;-) I do like firing up LoTR or Star Wars and just enjoying the heck out of a few hours of movies. To me, the M50's description is about perfect for this useage. When I get them (approx 10 days until shipment) I'll post my thoughts and compare them to my Titans which I know quite well.

- JasonEuc M50's, CC370, M3's, Rotel RSX-965, Integra DPC 7.5, Harmony 688
JasonEuc #140886 06/11/06 04:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Jason, I think you're gonna like them. I have the M40s (discontinued) and they are great for a two-channel system with no sub. Very capable of handling things by themselves.

I think you just made some of our resident M50 owners very proud.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
JasonEuc #140887 06/12/06 01:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well Jason, it looks as though you jumped into this whole M50 thing with your eyes wide open! At least you have a pretty good idea of what to expect!!

I also use my M50s primarily for HD and general TV vewing, and they work great in that role.

My acoustically challenged room conspires against them for music-only, but they still do a great job of coping!!

They are friendly sounding speakers though; they won't make a rude sound to upset little ones unless the recording really insists upon it!!

I almost bought a pair of Titans myself about seven years ago, but the dealer was just too long a drive, and then I found out I couldn't take the grilles off!!

The wait was the hardest part for me. I still have noseprints on the front window from when my M50s were delivered. I even brought my M50s in from the truck when it finally arrived near the end of the day.

I was afraid the driver was too tired!

So, looking foreward to hearing your impressions of your new speakers when they finally do show up. And hoping to welcome you into the "New Combined M40/M50 Posse"!!
Rich.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 365 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup