Joe VaSSallo
#141129 06/09/06 02:59 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Some of you have been a part of the Axiom family for a very long time now, and so many of you have interacted with Joe VaSSallo, who has been with Axiom for over 20 years. I am so sorry to pass on the news that Joe has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Joe has been a pillar of strength through this tough time, determined to enjoy every moment of these days. Joe has been coming in to Axiom most days to spend some time with his 2nd family at Axiom. He has also still been keeping an eye on the progress of the VaSSallo line, which will be a lasting part of his very major contribution to Axiom. We have felt so fortunate that he and his wife Ruth are sharing this time with us.
Joe truly did it all at Axiom - starting out in QC and doing a wide variety of jobs, from building woofers all the way to overseeing the design of the website and all the photography. He has always been an integral part of design and development at Axiom, helping with suggestions for new products and product tweaks, and doing all the first-line testing of our products for the last 20-plus years. Joe has as many new ideas as there are stars in the sky, and his bubbling enthusiasm for new projects is something everyone who met him could sense.
If any of you have messages for Joe - of encouragement, of memories, or just a 'hello', I thought you might like the opportunity to post them here.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Re: Joe VaSSallo
Ian #141130 06/09/06 03:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry to hear about the news.

Joe thanks for taking the time with your help on the phone with some tough decisions and for also being a huge part of the family here, I absolutely love your artwork. We'll have you in our constant thoughts and our prayers!

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #141131 06/09/06 03:46 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ian, thank you for sharing the sad news.

Joe, I have always been awed by your art, and it is obvious that you have made a profound, positive, lasting impact on many people in your life - some of whom you may not know at all!

Savor the moments of joy in your daily life. Know that you have the love and support of many people all across the world who will continue to derive their own joy and inspiration from your work and creativity.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ian #141132 06/09/06 03:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Joe,

I believe in miracles.........never give in, never give up!
You will be in my prayers.
May God bless.

Larry

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
RickF #141133 06/09/06 03:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I never know what to say in these situations.

Sad news indeed about "Dr. Home Theatre." I've always been intrigued by people with such thirsty minds.

You've made quite an impact on the world.

Bren R.

tomtuttle #141134 06/09/06 04:04 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Joe. Many thanks for all your kind help and sharing your knowledge with me. Your great phone manner, the generous time you spent answering my questions on the plant tour say much about you and Axiom. I especially appreciate how you went out of your way to meet me early on wintry Saturday mornings to pick up subs and those pleasant chats. Peace be with you and your family.

John
jakeman #141135 06/09/06 04:09 PM
shareholder in the making
Joe,

Thank you for everything you've done with Axiom to make it the company it is today--not to mention enabling this community! You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BrenR #141136 06/09/06 04:12 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I am also speechless, except I'm sorry to hear this.

littleb #141137 06/09/06 04:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joe, all our thoughts and prayers are with you, thank you for all you have given us.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Ian #141138 06/09/06 04:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joe, Ian and all at Axiom.

Upon hearing the sad news I couldn't help but go back over all the works published on line showing evidence of such a great talent.

......The Wife and Kids on one computer, me on the other, sharing impressions and comments!

There are no words to express feelings at a time like this. It is somewhat comforting to know that there is so much left behind for all to see, to enjoy, and to remember.

It is truly a measure of a life to bring enjoyment to so many by sharing ones labors and an extradornary craft.

I will always see another face in my mind each time I actually "look" at my speakers!

You are in our thoughts and in our prayers; Joe.

Thank you so much for all your efforts.
Rich, Kat and Family.

Ian #141139 06/09/06 04:41 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Joe,

It has been my pleasure to have talked to you on a number of occasions. Each and every time has been a sheer joy and educational experience.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Ian #141140 06/09/06 05:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
God bless you, Joe. Thank you for all of your outstanding work at Axiom.

Ian #141141 06/09/06 05:28 PM
Joe,

You are an inspiration to all who have an innate need to dig beyond the surface of things. I feel lucky to have, with the help of the internet, tangentially graced the same little corner of the planet with you.

The following are not my words (and are rather plagiarized), but I find them fitting.

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They're not fond of rules
And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them,
disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing that you can't do is ignore them.

Because they change things.
They invent. They imagine. They heal.
They explore. They create. They inspire.

Ian #141142 06/09/06 06:23 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
This is very sad to hear and you are definitely in my families thoughts.

I've spoken to you on the phone, through email and even had the privilege of meeting you at the picnic. You are a great man.

Like others have said, you will be leaving an impact on our world...through more ways than just your art.

May your remaing time be spent well with good friends and family.

Wishing you and yours nothing but the best.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Ian #141143 06/09/06 06:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Random thoughts.

How disappointing to know that, at a time like this, no matter what one tries to say, it will fall far short of lending comfort, or succoring a wounded heart. The impotence of the effort is mind boggling.

What a difficult time it must be for all at Axiom these days. My thoughts and heartfelt sorrow are with each and every one of you.

How wonderful it must be to live and work among dearly loved friends.

How wonderful it must be to spend your working hours on something that not only does no harm, but brings joy to those who own it.

I am not allowed to drink due to medication which affects my liver. If I drink, my liver falls out through my navel, or something. But, I swear I'm heading for the fridge and one of the bottles of beer I keep on hand for guests. I'm gonna raise a glass to Joe VaSSallo; to a life well lived. Well done, Joe!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #141144 06/09/06 06:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That is just terrible to hear, my thoughts go out to Joe and his family. I can't really add much, other than a big thank you to him for having a hand in creating something that has brought so much joy to others.

"Chickens don't clap."
sidvicious02 #141145 06/09/06 06:57 PM
Joe, I am very sorry to hear about this news. I've only been able to visit with you a few times over the phone, and I thank you for your time. I've always thought very highly of your artistic work, you are one of a kind, that is for sure.

I visit often with many of the other Axiom owners over the phone, and I can tell you everyone holds you in the highest regards and respect. I only wish I had more opportunities to get up north and meet you in person.

Be strong, have faith, and God Bless you my friend. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Ian #141146 06/09/06 07:26 PM
devotee
devotee
I have only talked to Joe once or twice so most people would say that he is pretty much a stranger to me. The thing about it is, I feel like he is a friend, a good friend at that!

I like to think of myself as a tough guy but I will admit that I am in tears as I type this. Joe, you must be something special to have such an effect on me!

All my best to you and your family. Live life to its fullest! You have all the respect in the world from me.

Ian #141147 06/09/06 07:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Having known Joe all my life, I thought I would post some of my memories.

Joe is the only boy of 8 siblings. Yep, that's right - he has 7 sisters!! Over the years, no matter which sisters may be fighting or on the "outs", everyone still remains on good terms with Joe. He always seems to be the binding neutral force within the family. Looking back, I've never seen him angry. Always a smile. Always happy to see you.

Joe is the "fun" uncle. With such a zest for life, going to his house is always a treat. He does nothing half way. It is full-boar, all or nothing, take no prisoners. And man, he loves his toys. Back in the seventies, he had the loudest stereo I ever heard. I remember being 7 or 8 and the thing bringing me to my knee's and making my eyes water. I was hooked. Come to think of it, he still has the loudest stereo......

When CB's were popular, he threw up something like a 100ft tower for the antenna. Back when they made real 4x4 pick-ups and jeeps, he took his and jacked it up 5 ft in the air, and threw on the biggest mud tires that were available.

He has had street bikes, and his son's have had numerous off road bikes. He even hand welded an off road sand/mud buggy from scratch with a roll cage and 6 forward gears. Not to mention the boat and all the cars.

Whenever something new electronically comes out, he's the first one to buy it. Top loading Beta & VHS machines, Laserdiscs, CD players, DVD players, the Commodore 64, the very first Sony walkman, video projectors, and on and on. There is always something new. Shoot, even just last month when I was up, we were playing with some prototype electronics that I'm not allowed to talk about.

Then there is the air brushing and the art school. And something you may not know about is his VaSSallo Girl skin care products.

Being around him is exciting. He has this "can do" attitude about everything in his life. Never any self doubt. He grabs each day by the horns and has fun with it. We all love him dearly.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
NEW2AXIOM #141148 06/09/06 07:40 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Wow, I find myself unable to articulate my feelings at this news other than to wish you the best and hold out hope for you. For sure, you will be in my prayers. You are the best. You were the single biggest impact on my original decison to buy Axioms and for that I will aways be grateful to you my friend.

real80sman #141149 06/09/06 08:39 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

Having known Joe all my life, I thought I would post some of my memories.

Joe is the only boy of 8 siblings. Yep, that's right - he has 7 sisters!! Over the years, no matter which sisters may be fighting or on the "outs", everyone still remains on good terms with Joe. He always seems to be the binding neutral force within the family. Looking back, I've never seen him angry. Always a smile. Always happy to see you.

Joe is the "fun" uncle. With such a zest for life, going to his house is always a treat. He does nothing half way. It is full-boar, all or nothing, take no prisoners. And man, he loves his toys. Back in the seventies, he had the loudest stereo I ever heard. I remember being 7 or 8 and the thing bringing me to my knee's and making my eyes water. I was hooked. Come to think of it, he still has the loudest stereo......

When CB's were popular, he threw up something like a 100ft tower for the antenna. Back when they made real 4x4 pick-ups and jeeps, he took his and jacked it up 5 ft in the air, and threw on the biggest mud tires that were available.

He has had street bikes, and his son's have had numerous off road bikes. He even hand welded an off road sand/mud buggy from scratch with a roll cage and 6 forward gears. Not to mention the boat and all the cars.

Whenever something new electronically comes out, he's the first one to buy it. Top loading Beta & VHS machines, Laserdiscs, CD players, DVD players, the Commodore 64, the very first Sony walkman, video projectors, and on and on. There is always something new. Shoot, even just last month when I was up, we were playing with some prototype electronics that I'm not allowed to talk about.

Then there is the air brushing and the art school. And something you may not know about is his VaSSallo Girl skin care products.

Being around him is exciting. He has this "can do" attitude about everything in his life. Never any self doubt. He grabs each day by the horns and has fun with it. We all love him dearly.

Sounds like a damn fun guy to be friends with. Your lucky to have him as a friend. Good friends like that are hard to come by.

On top of him being a good friend, he sounds like 1 cool cat!

NEW2AXIOM #141150 06/09/06 09:05 PM
Sound like he's an uncle AND a friend.

real80sman #141151 06/09/06 09:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
7 sisters! Holy Mackerel! When they were all growing up, I'd bet the bathroom traffic schedule was interesting. Poor Joe must've gotten about 20 seconds per day. YIPES!

Thanks for sharing that with us, Shawn.

Jack

pmbuko #141152 06/09/06 09:29 PM
local
local
i was saddened to hear about the news.......joe helped me make speaker choices in a very professional and calm manner.....thank you and good luck....

newkid2005 #141153 06/09/06 09:40 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I too believe in miracles. My prayers are with the whole Axiom family.

bugbitten #141154 06/09/06 11:09 PM
D
D
My first post here. This thread is becoming a testament to Joe, and I'd like to add to that process...

I've known Joe and the Axiom folks for years now, ever since they first asked me for some help with their Web site (it's my business). Their dedication and near-crazed passion for delivering amazing sound struck me on our first meeting. And they've not needed me after the first month or two as they are the fastest learners I've ever seen.

Since then, I've become a huge fan of Axiom. We have their speakers all over the house. Most recently, I upgraded our home theatre system to 7.2, adding their "beast" subwoofer and two more QS8s.

(The professional installers were totally blown away by the sound. Now, these guys have installed every super-high-end system you can imagine in some of the best homes in Montreal, but they asked me how THEY could buy Axiom for their homes!)

Every step of the way, Joe's been there to advise with passion about what works best for whatever it was that I wanted to do. And I do mean "passion." The man eats, lives and sleeps audio.

A few months back, Ian and Amie called (I'm also a physician). Joe had been diagnosed as having inoperable cancer. No panic, let's get a second opinion. You can almost always do SOMETHING and that first diagnosis can be wrong.

Full investigations revealed the worst. Palliation only.

I've talked to Joe many more times about his current disease than I ever did about speakers. That first call, and every one since, have formed the most amazing experience I have ever had as a doctor. (I'm not his family physician, just a second opinion and someone he can call anytime, although he never has.)

Dying patients normally go through a process, from denial to anger to depression and finally, acceptance. Joe STARTED at acceptance.

Calm and realistic, there was no question about doing anything heroic that would reduce the quality of the good days he had left. No rage. No depression. Joe is EXACTLY the same person we all know and love. If you talked to him, you'd have no hint that he is dying. He is LIVING the weeks that remain to him on this earth.

This is way beyond courage. I don't even have a word to define Joe's response, except to call it "Joe."

He continues to go into work because it's not "work" -- it's what he loves to do. THAT is part of how he figures he can get the best of the days remaining to him. Family is another big part, of course. And through it all, he does indeed have one brother...

Ian Colquhoun. Their love for each other goes beyond friendship. We will all miss Joe, but Ian and Amie are losing a family member, in the most profound sense of that word.

Joe, you are an inspiration. Thank you for the lessons I have learned by knowing you. You are the kind of person who makes me hope that there is an afterlife.

I know you'll live THAT journey with the same smile and passion as you have this one.

Your friend,
Ken Evoy

DrKen #141155 06/09/06 11:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for insight Dr. Ken, Joe sounds like an amazing individual ... as is everybody there at Axiom.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #141156 06/09/06 11:46 PM
Joe:
We've never met, nor even talked on the phone, but it's obvious that you're one of the (very) good guys! It sounds as though you have the love of several families and you are passionate about the various endeavors and work you've shared with others. I wish you Peace.

I didn't see a link to this earlier in the thread: Joe's Page.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #141157 06/10/06 12:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joe,

I've never met you but you have obviously touched so many lives in such a positive way.

Thank you for being you.

Wayne Cook

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
FordPrefect #141158 06/10/06 01:11 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
This is very sad news to read. I don’t know what I’d do if I ever received similar news, but have thought about it from time to time. And each time I do think about it, I come to the conclusion that I’d just spend as much quality time as I could with my remaining days with the ones I love, doing the things I love to do. It sounds as if that’s what you are doing Joe. I’m not much of a religious fella, but I do believe that our life on earth is only the first step in a greater journey and that our lives here are just the beginning. I wish you and your family happiness and that you can all enjoy the time you have left together.

michael_d #141159 06/10/06 01:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Joe, after reading all these posts I regret the fact that I've never had the pleasure of actually interacting with you. You've touched many lives on a personal level and have helped build a company that has touched countless people by offering extraordinary products, outstanding service, and a wonderful forum. I believe your extended family is offering you one giant hug and a heartfelt thanks.

Sean

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #141160 06/10/06 01:57 AM
Going through the Home Theater section I read Amie's message, came to this shocking and distressing news, and now am typing this with tears in my eyes. God bless you, Joe, and my prayers will be with you.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

DrKen #141161 06/10/06 02:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks to DrKen and real80sman for allowing some insight into the life of Joe. Often people hear about a tragedy that has occurred to someone they knew even if only in brief or as an acquaintance. As these odd or amazing facts come to light showing yet another incredible facet of their lives, people often feel a pride in saying, "hey, i knew that guy".

Both my wife and I had the pleasure, however brief, of meeting Joe on our tour and i can honestly say that unlike Alan, Joe actually does look like his photos online. Although our chat was short, he seemed a gentle and thoughtful person.

We will follow Jack's lead in raising a glass to the illustrous Joe Vassallo and echo everyone else in saying we wish you the best of luck!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #141162 06/10/06 02:29 AM
I posted this on the "What are you listening to tonight?" thread, but thought I would add it here as well...

For some reason right now I've got "My Way" by Frank Sinatra cranked up to about 0dB's. I've been thinking about Joe V's situation and I just thought of this song. From what I've known/heard about this great person, it seemed this song was written for him.

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, Ill say it clear,
Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.
Ive traveled each and evry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

Ive loved, Ive laughed and cried.
Ive had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,
I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!

God Bless you Axiom Joe

Last edited by sirquack; 06/10/06 02:31 AM.

SirQuack #141163 06/10/06 03:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just wanted to offer my condolences as well. It is extremely obvious how important you are to Axiom and everyone else around here. Thank you for all the little things we don't even know about as I imagine they were numerous.

Ian #141164 06/10/06 05:39 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Joe, I've never had the pleasure of directly speaking to you, but I've known of you even before I officially joined these message boards back in May of '02. As I searched through the posts and saw people with concerns about their speakers, your name came up the most as someone who was always willing to help. As confident as I was in my decision to purchase Axiom speakers, it really put me at ease knowing there was someone who cared about their customers so much as to go the extra mile to make sure they were happy. Axiom is very fortunate to have someone like you. This thread so far is like a testimony of your character and it's been really moving reading everyone's wonderful experiences with you. It's no wonder why people have spoken so highly of you! Please know my thoughts are with you.

Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
sonicfox #141165 06/10/06 04:32 PM
veteran
veteran
Joe, I am new to the world of audio, at least in terms of the quality that you have contributed to the world, and I stand in awe of your accomplishments as well as you as a person.

Upon reading these comments by the readers that have had the priviledge of knowing you, I too feel the sadness of the situation. You and your family are in our prayers.

With any luck, I'll get a chance to see you on the other side... Bud

"Never, never, never give up "... Winston Churchill
sonicfox #141166 06/10/06 04:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This stuff is very difficult to read no matter who it happens to. My condolences to all.

curtis #141167 06/10/06 11:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You are loved and admired by all who've met you. That's a hell of a testament to a life.

spiffnme #141168 06/11/06 12:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I too am deeply saddened and wish my heartfelt condolences to you and your family, Joe.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

Ian #141169 06/11/06 09:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Terrible news. Hang in there, Joe.

RickF #141170 06/12/06 02:08 PM
old hand
old hand
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. As said before, miracles happen,don't give up. Guy

Ian #141171 06/12/06 07:26 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Joe,

You and your family would be in my thoughts and prayers, God Bless.

Cheers!
Ian #141172 06/13/06 11:57 PM
M
moe Offline
M
As i sit here and read all the very nice words so many of you people have written i feel like the luckist man ever because i am proud to say that Joe is my Dad and i'am very lucky to have him as a father, any one that has meet him or even talked to him will know he is a great man. Joe makes anyone around him feel the same even in these hard time. He still cracks jokes he has told me he has had a good life. If i can do half the things he has done,seen,and accomplished in life i will have him to thank for that. He has more drive than any person i know he will not give up or take no for a answer he has been a great Husband,Father,Grandfather,brother,father in law,friend and mentor we will all miss him greatly.I would like to thank everyone for all the support and very kind words everyone has sent. Dad reads them daily and appreciates them greatly. I would also like to thank Ian and Amie words can not say how much we appreciate every thing you have done for Dad and the family i can not thank you enought i know Dad loved working there very much.Thank you all
love ya Dad
sincerly Todd

moe #141173 06/14/06 02:55 AM
Todd, my heart goes out to you and your family. That was very touching, and it made tears come to my eyes. It is obvious you have received some of your fathers gifts, like strength and courage. Family is everything, and it sure sounds like you have a great one, especially one of the greatest dads in the world.

Be strong and know we are all here for you if you need anything. That is the least we can do for all that your father has done for us.

My prayers will continue to be with you and your two families, the VaSSallos and the Axioms.

God Bless all of you.

Randy

moe #141174 06/14/06 04:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
A loving child is a great testament to a life well lived. Thank you Todd.

Jack

moe #141175 06/14/06 12:26 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thank you for sharing Todd. My most sincere sympathies to you Joe and all you’re family and friends.
~Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Ian #141176 06/14/06 03:50 PM
O
O
Hi Joe:

We can’t allow all these people to post messages to you and not post one ourselves. The three of us have had the good fortune of getting to know the man behind those glasses for oh so many years.

Joe you have been an inspiration to us all. You have an inner strength that can only be described as amazing. We all would like to thank you for allowing us to be a part of your life, as we are better people for having known you.

Axiom is un-like any other place that we have worked. Sure, we all have our jobs to do and we all strive to do our best, but what makes us different is that we really do all care about each other, we ARE one big family. We laugh together and sometimes we cry together. The employees of Axiom are living proof that people can all work together to get a job done and fully enjoy every step along the way.

Joe has been a brother to us here, always with a spring in his step and a smile on his face. And as with any family member, we are devastated that one of our own is battling such an unforgiving disease.

We are already missing our morning coffee chats where we are updated with fellow co-workers family life happenings, exchange recently heard jokes, debate with one another over some sort of controversial issue, and sometimes we even talk shop. Joe could always be found sitting by Noreen’s desk with a smile; an eager participant, as well as an excellent listener with heartfelt advice to share with all of us.

Joe has told us so many stories from his life, his journey through this world has been an incredible one, too many successes to mention. Sure he had his pitfalls along the way but, with any endeavor that he has undertaken, Joe never gives up. He literally went from starving artist one night to accomplished artist the next, an amazing tale in itself.
We are all in awe of this man who has such a love of life, but there is no bigger love in his life than his family. He and his wife Ruth share an incredible love for each other, they are truly soul mates, and just recently celebrated their 42nd wedding anniversary. He often talks proudly about his sons, grandchildren and sisters, and of course we can’t forget mentioning his wonderful sidekick companion “Porsche” his dog.

Joe you are in all of our thoughts daily.

Enjoy each and every moment you have, and always know that you are loved by each and every one of us here.

Joe, I am very proud of you and even at this time in your life you show your unselfishness nature by focusing all your energies on making sure that those around you are going to be okay.

Love you, and always your friend
Noreen Solman

No words can really describe what you have instilled in me. Your love and general outlook on life is so absolutely amazing. I am a better person for having known you.

All my Love
Tracy Simunek

Joe, you’re inspirational, plain and simple!! Because of you... I’ll be forever sporting cargo pants and a tan! Wishing you and your family all the best!!

Love
Amie Lucyk

Ian #141177 06/20/06 10:51 AM
V
V
Joe VaSSallo is the best grandfather any granddaughter could ever hope for,he's loving,careing,funny,and is always showing you some new gadet that is just "dynamite" as he would often say.

As kids me,joey,jessy,and vinny (the grand kids) called him "multi talented grandpa" and that is exactly what he is,he can do it all , from knowing every trick about the yo yo, to self taught computer wiz, artist, and knowing everything there is to know about audio. He's also very passionate about cars in particular his 1976 porsche 911S in which he got his second nickname from the grand kids "porsche papa".

Papa has taught me so many things from how to use photoshop to airbrushing and airbrush tanning, as well as life lessons. When i was younger i used to go with him on wednsdays to his airbrush school in Barrie, and i remember watching him in awe as he would teach and how i wanted to be just like him . Unfortunatly i didnt inherit his artistic abilities,but i do share one interest with him Photography! He gave me my first camera, a disposible camera when i was about 7 years old and i have been taking pictures ever since.

I look up to papa so much and always have we've always have had such a strong connection, I love being in his company.

He's always made me feel special, just little things like buying me roses just because or talking about me to whoever and he has had a nickname for me since i could remember"punky", every time he said it I would have the biggest smile on my face, now when i hear it, it brings me to tears.

There is so much to say about my grandfather I could be at this all day, and still when i read what other people have wrote about him I learn things I never knew about him,which makes me even more amazed by him, but i have to end this somehow.

Papa, you are an incredible person, you've touched so many peoples hearts, and you've changed the way i look at life.I am so proud to be a VaSSallo and better yet your granddaughter.I love you so much and i'll be there to the end and even after.

Love you: Tara VaSSallo
Punky

Ian #141178 06/20/06 03:01 PM
devotee
devotee
Sorry to hear this news. I've been away for awhile. I do believe in miracles and healing and I do believe that God still heals-sometimes miracously and sometimes through doctors. I do know this truth-God is in control. Joe, my prayers are with you and your family.

cgolf #141179 06/20/06 05:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I also have been away, and it has been amazing to come back and read this thread. Joe, your family and friends have painted a great picture of you for those of us who have missed out on the opportunity to know you personally. What a great testament to you and your family. All I can say is Wow!

vassallo #141180 06/21/06 03:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Two generations after you of intelligent, compassionate and eloquent VaSSallos - what more could one ask for. Well, I guess most of us wouldn't want them to be VaSSallos, but our own surname... but, you get the idea.

Bren R.

Ian #141181 06/21/06 09:54 PM
N
N
My name is Frances Vassallo. I am married to Joe's youngest son Mike. We have 2 boys Jesse and Vinny. I am writing this letter to let Joe and everyone else know what my husband and boys think of their father and grandfather. They are too shy to do this on their own but I am not. Joe's son Mike has told me many stories about his Dad when he was growing up. Mostly it had to do with cars and having the first of every new invention. Joe spent alot of time with his 2 boys whether it was in their garage or at the races that he raced in. His boys will have great memories of this. Things like under their Xmas tree their being new bikes etc.He gave them everything and pretty much anythingt they wanted. Todd raced dirt bikes and Mike has his love of cars. My husband(Mike) thinks the world of his dad but has never told him so. I know Joe knows this now even with Mike's silence. They say pictures( silence) speaks a thousand words. Joe gave both his boys everything they could imagine and more. They both know this and love him for it. The thing is in this world today there is lack of respect but I know that boys Joe's sons respect him more than anyone could imagine. Joe is a master of words when it comes to everyone else but when it comes to his family I think he is lost for words because his family mean so much to him that he is actually lost for words.He has in his final months said these words the only he knows and everyone loves hi for this. When Vin-Man was little Joe took him everywhere and let me tell you I have a video of when Vinny was little and he looked just like Joe with the curly hair. Jesse has taken to airbrushing like his grandfather. I hope he goes as far as Joe has gone with this art. Jesse also has the love of cars and respects them as does his dad his grandfather. Once again I am only the daughter in law writing this because they wouldn't but want everyone that has known and loved Joe to know that he is a loved, respected and looked up to kind of guy. My heart and thoughts are with him though I don't tell him. I know what a hole it will leave in my heart and all 3 boys in my family alone. But knowing him and having loved him for this many years will leave us with great memories. I love you Joe like you were my own dad and Mike and Jesse and the Vin-man feel the same way but are less expessive.

We love you as always and forever,
Your son Mike, daughterinlaw Frances and 2 of your grandsons Jesse, and the Vin-Man.

narfiebabie #141182 06/21/06 10:55 PM
If I read any more of these testimonials, I may turn into a blubbering mess. Still, it is comforting to know so much of Joe has rubbed off on the people in his life.

pmbuko #141183 06/21/06 11:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

If I read any more of these testimonials, I may turn into a blubbering mess.

Too late for me.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I feel so strongly that loving children (and grandchildren) are the mark of a successful life. Blessings on you all.

Jack

Ajax #141184 06/21/06 11:57 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Echo Peter and Jack.

I want to thank the VaSSallo family for so bravely sharing their stories with us. Doing so connects us in ways we cannot yet begin to understand. It furthers and deepens the joy Joe brings to our shared experience. It makes the world just a little bit better for today.

Since this thread started, I've been hugging my kids just a little tighter, just a little longer.

Salut, Joe.

Ajax #141185 06/22/06 12:54 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Quote:

Quote:

If I read any more of these testimonials, I may turn into a blubbering mess.

Too late for me.

There's a tear in the corner of my eye right now!

tomtuttle #141186 06/22/06 02:58 PM
Amen to that Tom.

tomtuttle #141187 06/23/06 12:43 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Echo Peter and Jack.

I want to thank the VaSSallo family for so bravely sharing their stories with us. Doing so connects us in ways we cannot yet begin to understand. It furthers and deepens the joy Joe brings to our shared experience. It makes the world just a little bit better for today.

Since this thread started, I've been hugging my kids just a little tighter, just a little longer.

Salut, Joe.

Thanks Tom, well said...

Ian #141188 06/23/06 02:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Reading Todd's, Tara's, and Fran's posts certainly bring back lots of memories. Yes it is true - the word "dynamite" is something that comes out of Joe's mouth constantly. It is part of who he is. But Uncle Joe wouldn't be who he is without Aunt Ruth. This lady is the definition of class.

As you have read, Joe gets completely enveloped by the "project of the moment". He dives in, and puts his whole heart and soul into it. All the while, there is Ruth quietly supporting (and tolerating) the next "greatest thing". And the next "greatest thing". She has this quiet confidence about her that you have to admire. She is the stability that allows Joe to soar, and just lets "Joe be Joe". She happily lets him have the spotlight, and I'm sure he would not have been able to achieve the things he has without her. I have never told her this, but I have the greatest respect and admiration for her.

Ruth is also very health conscience. She keeps herself in shape, and would put many women 20 years her junior to shame. And, she is the reason Joe bought his beloved Porsche in the first place. If I remember correctly, he was looking at new twin turbo Dodge Stealth's / Mits 3000's. It was Ruth who pointed out the huge depreciation factor, and suggested a classic Porsche instead. And so his love affair with the fabled German automaker began.

I know this thread is supposed to be about Joe but a large part of who he is, is because of her.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
Ian #141189 06/23/06 07:03 PM
T
T
Hey joe its randy! I meet joe about 8 months ago, I was the manager of H.E.Brown supply and PBE paint rep for muskoa parts,with in the first 10 min of meeting joe I felt like i had know the man for 40 years.We worked together to produce the first piano finsh for AXIOM. It took some hard work and major thinking on both our parts. I became very close to JOE and the staff.A new spray booth was installed and things progessed,Joe mentioned his 911 porshe needed a complete paint,No sooner that the 2 months later joe was sick,I decided to get the car done as soon as possible,After a month of hard work with STEVE AND MIKE who work at AXIOM we finshed the car! The feeling I got from JOEs expression was pricless,But it even gets better,for 40 years of my life things have not be the best,this has all change.I was offered a job by JOE and IAN and become part of the AXIOM FAMILY.

JOE THE GIFT I GAVE YOU ISNT CLOSE TO THE GIFT YOU GAVE ME FOR THE REST OF MY CARRER,I LOVE AXIOM,I BREATH AXIOM,I NEEDED AXIOM. YOU WILL ALWASY BE IN MY HEART

thepainter #141190 06/27/06 07:09 PM
buff
buff
On joining Axiom 6 years ago, to a great extent, it was Joe that mentored me in my new position. That has remained a constant.

Our industry speeds along, your tireless dedication and insights has been a benefit to your customers and to all of us in the Axiom family. Joe, it has been my privilege to have worked with you.

The sharing of good times, of the tragic times, of the past and of the future, I will hold deep in my heart.

You are not alone now or ever, you have all of our love.

Brent Tombari
Axiom Audio Expert
Ian #141191 06/30/06 03:07 PM
V
V
Well Joe i'm working here at Axiom. I will tell you i do miss the sound of your foot steps coming up to the grille room for a chat or to get parts for service. It has been fun working with you.

Todd has told me so may stories about what you and Ruth have done. Like the time Ruth wanted to see the Grand canyon. You two got into the jeep drove down seen the sunset and came back home.

You are a very strong man to have accepted what has happened to you. I do think of you as a father and will miss you very much as will Todd, Tara and Joey.

I'm not to good at this.
Love You Joe
Your daughter-in-law Maureen VaSSallo

vassallo #141192 08/01/06 04:58 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I was just thinking of Joe and wondering how he is doing. Likewise, the VaSSallo and Axiom families remain in my thoughts and prayers.

tomtuttle #141193 08/01/06 11:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good for you, Tom. I've thought of Joe & family a thousand times and just didn't have the courage to post. Thank you.

Jack

Ian #141194 08/02/06 10:31 PM
M
M
I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and kind words. Joe and I have spent a lot of time doing things for the last time over the past few months. Last dance last
Porsche ride and list goes on. On August the first early evening we kissed for the last time he closed his eyes for the last time and flew to the other side. Joe you have left me with so many wonerfull memories.
Ruth

Mrs_V #141195 08/02/06 10:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ruth that is very sad to hear, you must be a very strong and special lady to have gone through the turmoil you have during this tough time. Our thoughts and prayers are out to you, your family and friends ... God bless you and Rest In Peace Mr. Joe VaSSallo, you were obviously loved and adored by many.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Mrs_V #141196 08/02/06 11:03 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

So sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

RickF #141197 08/02/06 11:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very Sad to head that Joe has left us. However the time will someday come for all of us, sometimes sooner than anyone could predict. Your lucky to have gotten to spend quality time with him in his last moments and say goodbye which so many people dont ever get the chance to do. I did not know Joe personally but Like everyone else who has been on this board and "known" the people behind axiom there is truly a sense of greatness which surrounds him. From the comments that others have left about Joe, he really seems like a person who fully believed that you get out of life, what you put into it. My thoughts go out to all his family and friends.

Mrs_V #141198 08/02/06 11:10 PM
God Bless you Ruth, God Bless Joe, and God Bless your family and friends. Please know we are all here for you if you need anything. I am very very sad to hear of Joe's passing, he truely was a great man. I only wish I would have had more conversations with him over the years. He is in a much better place right now, and most of all he is no longer suffering. God Bless you Joe and I hope you use your many talents up in Heaven.

Randy

SirQuack #141199 08/03/06 12:23 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Don't even know what to say.

Joe, you will be missed.

Bren R.

Mrs_V #141200 08/03/06 12:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My heart goes out to the VaSSallo and entire Axiom family. Quoting Abraham Lincoln, "I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming."

There are no words.

Jack

Mrs_V #141201 08/03/06 01:05 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I can't even attempt to type the appropriate words.

God bless all of you in your grief.

Mrs_V #141202 08/03/06 01:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ruth; We are so sorry for your loss.

Our families' thoughts and prayers go out to your entire family.
Rich, Kat and Kids.

Mrs_V #141203 08/03/06 01:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ruth, I am deeply saddened to hear such news. Time is precious, and I am glad you guys made the time to do things together over the last few months that brought you joy. A wonderful way to celebrate the life of a loved one.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Mrs_V #141204 08/03/06 01:42 AM
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let the perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.

Ruth, condolences to you and your family.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

St_PatGuy #141205 08/03/06 01:46 AM
Ruth:
Please accept my condolences for yourself, as well as Joe's immediate and extended family on your loss. It's obvious based upon the number of testimonials here that Joe was much loved by all who knew him.

Peace,
Mark

Mrs_V #141206 08/03/06 03:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Our sincere condolences on the loss of Mr. Joe Vasallo.
We offer an Irish blessing for you Ruth.

Always remember to forget the things that made you sad.
But never forget to remember the things that made you glad.

Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue.
But never forget to remember those that have stuck by you.

Always remember to forget the troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember the blessings that come each day...

chesseroo #141207 08/03/06 06:56 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I aspire to the eloquence of our friends.

Joe obviously made a tremendous difference in the lives he touched. Let's resolve to celebrate his life and spirit in ways large and small throughout the years.

Mrs_V #141208 08/03/06 07:03 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It's difficult to know what to say in these situations, but please know that my heart goes out to you, Ruth, and to all of your family.

Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Mrs_V #141209 08/03/06 07:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ruth, my thoughts are with you and your family. God bless.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
Mrs_V #141210 08/03/06 02:09 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences on your loss.
~Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Mrs_V #141211 08/03/06 02:59 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Ruth,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I just don't know what to say, except you'll be in my thoughts.

littleb #141212 08/03/06 03:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am saddened to hear this news, but I know he is well now, and in no more pain. Thank you so much Ruth and other friends and family of Joe for sharing the stories and memories of such a great man.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
littleb #141213 08/03/06 03:59 PM
Ruth,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing with us.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Mrs_V #141214 08/03/06 05:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am very sorry to hear of Joe's passing. I hope you all were able to enjoy the time you had together before he past and can keep him alive in your hearts and memories.

You are in our thoughts.

James

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
Ian #141215 08/04/06 07:01 PM
S
S
Hello Everyone,
I am Joe’s sister (as you know, one of 7 - third oldest sister and next youngest sibling to Joe). On June 21, 2006 my son Shawn emailed me a link to this site with the message “Mom, I thought you might want to read this”. At first I thought it might be another article on health and safety or maybe even a news article on something amazing somewhere in the world or some crazy - you gotta shake your head - fall off your chair laughing, piece of tidbit; because Shawn often passes such things along to me, keeping his mother either well informed or putting a smile on my face (he is in many ways like his Uncle Joe!!). Never in a million years would I have guessed that this link was going to take me to the most overwhelming, truly extraordinary and most astonishing place I have ever gone. The never ending, heartwarming and remarkable messages on this board stirred a rush of emotions within and those who know me, know very well that I don’t get emotional or sentimental much. But this was staggering, moving, gratifying, uplifting, touching, heartbreaking and cheerful laughter all in one. What all of you don’t realize is that what you have done here “was Joe”. This was the kind of stuff he loved. This was the greatest gift any of you could have given him because what motivated Joe, what made up his adventurous nature and what pushed his crazy pursuit of “the next greatest thing” was people – people like all of you – people who loved him – people who laughed, cried, joined, jumped on his band wagon - with him. You have no idea but this was the essence of his being.

Thank you, all of you, for your kindness and for sharing your thoughts and feelings with him. It is the most befitting exit for a man who had a heart of gold, who’s only passion was touching the hearts of others and who always made sure that the only expressions and sounds around him were laughter and music. Even his art made you either smile, stand in awe or took your heart to a warm place.

As I read the endless string of sentiments on this board, I smile and I cry all at the same time; but I never intended to respond or place my own feelings here. I just enjoyed and treasured each and every one of yours. But now at the end of all of this, it became increasingly clear that it would be totally remiss on my part if your compassion was left unrecognized. Joe and I have always had this unspoken understanding of love and respect for eachother and even our last words to eachother were whispered. I’m sure some of you had experienced that infectous laughter or giggle he had. That was all that was ever needed to cherish a special moment with him. But your thoughtfulness and open display of generosity is truly remarkable – again I say thank you.

To Ruth, Todd, Mike, his daughter-in-laws and his grandchildren, the only words I will express publically are those of the greatest love, respect and gratitude I have for you. You gave your love and devotion to my brother unconditionally and everyone should know that. You are the epitomy of greatness as he was, for you are all part of him. The rest of my warm feelings for you will continue to be shared privately.

My wonderful, beautiful brother, I know that you are looking down and reading this right now, giggling your little butt off at me for getting so soppy. Your soul and your presence will always be here with us. You left too much of yourself here to ever be erased. Your legacy to us is your laughter and zest for life. These are the memories you leave behind. The only sadness we will know of you is that we can no longer share that intensity of you here on this side. You did this last journey with style and grace, you truly “Did It Your Way” and you showed us what ‘Class’ really is – Kudos Big Brother – We Celebrate You!

Until we meet again on the flip side my sweet brother………..………..I love you dearly. Monica

sister_sister3 #141216 08/04/06 10:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Beautifully said, Monica. Thank you for sharing with us.

Jack

Ajax #141217 08/05/06 09:00 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It's taken me a long time to respond to this thread, and for that I apologise. I just never knew what to say or how to go about saying it. Even now I'm at a loss for words.

To learn the news of Joes passing saddens me greatly, and Monica's post has left a lot of tears streaming down my face. Joe was a great guy who was always there when you a had a problem, or a question that needed answered. He'll be greatly missed by everyone.

My heart and prayers goes out to the VaSSallo family. May God bless you all. I offer my deepest condolences during this hard time.

God bless you Joe, I'll never forget you.

sister_sister3 #141218 08/05/06 01:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes Monica; beautifully said indeed. Every word and thought.
Rich.

F107plus5 #141219 08/05/06 03:46 PM
There are many stories above evidencing Joe's ability to touch someones life even after a brief meeting.

Most telling, I believe, are writings from those closest to Joe such as Monica's post above.

Please accept my condolences, Monica, and thank you for allowing us a further look into the deeper ways that Joe made this a better place.

Mark

MarkSJohnson #141220 08/05/06 06:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Ruth, Monica and all of the Vasallo family, you can be assured that you are part of the dynamic strength that was, and still is, Joe's life. Huge parts that each and everyone of you played major roles. You were there for him each and every day for the good times as well as the difficult times. That is what family is all about, that is what makes life so precious. Thanks for sharing his life, and yours with us. God Bless.

cgrface #141221 08/06/06 02:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Heaven surely looks and sounds just bit more heavenly now.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
MarkSJohnson #141222 08/06/06 04:42 PM
S
S
All my heart and prayers.

sonic #141223 08/15/06 06:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Shit.

I never spoke with Joe, but being a long time board member, I've heard countless wonderful things about him over the years...what's the point. Words can't express it. I've been through it myself with my own step father. There simply aren't words.

Sorry.

MarkSJohnson #141224 08/17/06 04:28 AM
I wants to offer has all the VaSSallo family my sincere condolences

Robert Lussier
Québec Audio & Vidéo Mag.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16