Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
AVIA speaker calibration
#142301 06/23/06 04:56 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I know that there are other similar postings but my question is a little different than those other postings.

Ok, so I'm using AVIA to calibrate my speakers using the SPL meter mounted on a tripod about a feet in front of the sweet spot (the sweet spot is on a home theatre recliner which is kinda hard to move).

My first question, why AVIA doesn't have the test tone for my rear surround speaker (I'm using 6.1 system)? How would I know the exact db of my rear surround ? I currently assume that it is the same as my left-right surround speakers since my left-right have exactly the same db.

Second question, I couldn't seem to get exactly 85db from my speakers (I set the master volume to 0). I get 86db from both my front speakers and center speakers (tried to reduce it down a bit, but I always get less than 85). My left-right speakers initially at 83db, now they are at 84db (the meter reads 84 with occasional 85). My subwoofer was initially 92-93db, I have tweaked it to about 85-86db. As for my rear surround speaker, I just set it the same as my other surround speakers but I couldn't measure it with AVIA since I don't see any option for 6.1 test tone in it. Am I ok with these calibration?

Third question, using my receiver (Denon AVR-3806) test tone at master volume 0, I get around 73-76db from all the speakers. Why is it different from AVIA test tone? AVIA's test tone does sound a lot louder than my receiver's test tone.

With that said, here is what I've done with each speaker channel.

FL 0.0db
C +0.5db
FR 0.0db
SR +3.0db
Rear Surr. +3.0db
SL +3.0db
SW -5.5db

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: AVIA speaker calibration
Seattlelite #142302 06/24/06 02:56 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Edwin, I don't use Avia and haven't studied it so as to reply to your first question. On your second and third questions, however, don't worry about getting exactly 85dB or any other number; the main point is to have all the speakers as close to each other as possible. Avia sends out its calibration tones at 20dB lower than the 105dB maximum which movie soundtracks might theoretically hit, so 85dB is the target. Most(all?)receivers have their built-in test tones 30dB down from the maximum, so because of that lower level the target is 75 rather than 85dB.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: AVIA speaker calibration
JohnK #142303 06/24/06 05:11 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks John.

I was listening to Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. The Axiom speakers are awesome. I listened to Sarah Brightman with just 2 channels, it sounded so good. I could hear some detail that I haven't heard before.

Now, if I could just get some room treatment for the wall. It would probably sound even better. But they're so expensive and I'm not much of DIY guy I did the "hand clap" test, I didn't hear any echo but I did hear a slight ringing sound almost immediately after I clapped my hand. Not sure how much the sound would improve if I install absorber, diffuser panels and bass trap. It sounded good as it is right now. I have big drapes on one of the side wall (it's actually a big window ), big bookshelf on one of the side wall behind the listening area, poster frames around the walls.

How much improvement would I get if I put those expensive room treatment? Is it really noticable? My room size is 16x13 btw.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044