Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Understanding the EP600
#142639 06/27/06 02:11 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, I finally got the sub set up, with the new amp. that Axiom shipped, since the first one was faulty (volume control not working).

Now that I have it set up, I would like to understand it a little more. There are a few things that are new to me, so maybe some of you could make it easier to understand what the 'features' are for, on the sub.

The 'Trim' and 'Phase' settings...what do they mean? What should they be set at (as a general default)?

What is the difference between phase of 0 deg. vs. 180 deg.?

What is the difference between 'Flat,' 'Load,' 'Full,' etc. on the trim settings?

Any advice/guidance would be great. And TIA for your help, suggestions.

i.

Re: Understanding the EP600
inthedeck #142640 06/27/06 02:58 PM
shareholder in the making
There should have been a pamphlet that was shipped with the sub that explains most of what your asking.

Here is a link to the HTML version of the manual.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/manual_ep500600.html

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #142641 06/27/06 03:32 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks SQ...guess I must have missed the manual...while moving/packing/unpacking, etc. I will check the box, and meanwhile, thanks for the link to the document. Nice reading material for lunchtime.

See ya.

inthedeck #142642 07/18/06 01:35 AM
aficionado
aficionado
The EP600 is one of the finest sounding ported subs around. Those are all good questions which though well covered in the manual are not easy concepts to grasp at first.

Firstly Phase. Aside from the technical explanations, I like to think of it as a switch that synchronizes the in-and-out movement of your sub's woofer with the woofers in the main speakers or with the drivers in another sub. Depending on distance and time the in and out movements will be "in" phase or "out" of phase. Ideally they will all be moving together at the same time, though this is easier said than done particualrly if the sub and mains are positioned in different parts of the room. If the drivers are "out" of phase the resulting waves can cancel each other so pay particular attention to getting the woofers in phase even if that means moving the sub to a less preferable location. When subs are out of phase people often complain of weak bass. Try the phase switch in both 0 and 180 positions to see which position gives you the loudest bass at the prime listening spot. Invariably that is the best position for the switch.

Next Trim. The trim settings are a great feature which all subs should have but few do and is one of the great attributes of the Axiom subs. All rooms have room gain at lower frequencies which can result in a bloated response down low. The EP subs boost response above 33hz to compensate for the effects of room gain and flatten the response to compensate for the natural room gain. This feature is particularly useful to users who don't own an equalizer. I believe we will see more and more manufacturers incorporate trim settings into their designs and it is one of the many features which set the Axiom EP line apart.

The EP600 is a fabulously articulate sub and a tribute to Ian and Tom's ingenuity though it must be setup properly. If you don't have some diagnostic tools like an SMS equalizer, start with setting the trim flat and laying it in your prime listening position. ( I know its heavy but it will save you a trip to the weightlifting gym. )

Next crawl or walk around the room while playing a bass track you are familiar with the mains off until you find a place along the side or front wall where it sounds best. Place the sub there. Turn on the mains and flip the phase switch to where the bass sounds loudest. Next turn the mains off and measure the loudness with a radio shack metre.(You have to buy one, it is an essential item). Turn the trim switch up until there is less volatility in the metre. Adjust the crossover frequency at the receiver/processor to 1.5X the lowest +/-response of the mains. Measure and adjust the mains and subs volume to the same DB and enjoy.

John
jakeman #142643 07/18/06 03:10 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
^^ Thanks JM...I have been playing around with the settings, on the sub, and believe that I have found a happy medium where everything seems to be working in harmony.

I did buy an SPL meter, and have basically configured all of the HK's surround modes (took me a little while). I moved the sub to the left wall, and the mains closer together (I posted a pic of this in a thread a few days ago). So far, the bass has improved, and hits pretty hard. I have to keep it turned down some...since I might wake the neighbors (I am a late night type).

Other than that, I will take the advice above, and play around some more. At least I know the settings that I like, so far, so I can always revert back, if need be. Thanks again.

i.

jakeman #142644 07/18/06 02:10 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Still waiting for the espresso to kick in so maybe I'm not hitting all cylinders yet.....but how would one "turn the mains off"? I have the HK7300 and am drawing a blank.

Also, what happens when you're stuck placing the sub in only one or two locations due to room configuration? Any tricks worth sharing in that regard Jake?

michael_d #142645 07/18/06 02:27 PM
Not sure about the HK, but what I did is on my Denon Remote there is a "Front" button that cycles the use of A or B for the main channel. If you select B, and have nothing hooked to the B speaker terminals, you will get no sound out of the A speakers.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

michael_d #142646 07/18/06 02:46 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Quote:

Also, what happens when you're stuck placing the sub in only one or two locations due to room configuration?

Well, I would still do the sub-crawl, in that regard, and if need be, move something and replace it with the EP600. I did the sub crawl -- basically, placed the sub where my chairs are, crawled around the room, and found a place where the bass was nice and smooth. Move a couple of things, and placed the 600 there, and now, every seat (plus more) feels that bass!

If I were you, I would try that method (seems to be recommended by many) and figure out where the 'best' bass is, with regard to the room, and if possible, move things away from there, and replace with the 600. If it's not feasible, figure out which one of the two spots (that YOU have) sounds 'better' with the sub in the main listening position. That's where you should place the sub...imho.

Hope that helps.

michael_d #142647 07/18/06 04:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
If you can't do it at the receiver, the universal solution is to pull a wire at the speaker connection.

Another technique which I use when dealing with these time domain issues is to tweak the sub delay at the receiver. While not a phase setting in the strict sense delaying the sub much more than measured distance will tighten the sound and also help get the woofers moving together. At a minimum add at least 3 ft or a metre to measured distance delay to account for the DSP in the EP600. Assuming the sub is in front of you, add still more delay regardless of distance if bass notes sound less distinct when the mains are on.

John
jakeman #142648 07/18/06 04:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Adjust the crossover frequency at the receiver/processor to 1.5X the lowest +/-response of the mains

Or set it a couple of Hertz above the 3dB response point, depends on the speaker response and just how fast that dropoff is to a particular brand/model.

Alternatively you can have another individual turn up and turn down the sub crossover while you listen to material and decide where the bass gets too 'muddy' or overbearing (too much bass overlap with the main speakers) or when it gets too thin or lacking (an obvious bass hole).
Surprisingly the results should come pretty close to the 3dB response point. I have my EP350 set at the 55Hz mark with the M60s based on this adjustment and the bass is nice and smooth. Note the the 55Hz mark also conforms to the 1.5x concept.
No noticeable audible drop outs when testing with a bass frequency sweep so i continue to run my M60s as large, full range.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020