Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 41 of 260 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 259 260
Re: Beer = civlization
#13836 08/11/04 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was more interested in extraction of the active ingredient rather than flavor. It's irrelevant, though. I haven't so much as seen a piece of weed since 1989.
It seemed like an interesting proposition - one that would certainly be popular up there in the Bay Area. Think how much of that beer you could sell in the parking lot of a Dead concert!

#13837 08/11/04 08:13 PM
shareholder in the making
You CAN buy hemp beer up here: Humboldt Hemp

Keep in mind that hemp and marijuana are not the same plant. They are cousins, but there is no THC in hemp.

#13838 08/12/04 05:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh! I thought it was the same stuff. That explains why nobody smokes their ropes.

#13839 08/12/04 06:04 PM
old hand
old hand
Interesting idea! Not sure how well it would work, since THC supposedly needs to be "activated" by heat at fairly high (ha!) temperatures. I don't know if I believe that, though.

Regardless, the effects of ingested THC are markedly different from inhalation. Onset can take hours, for one, and the effects tend to last longer and be far more intense. Plus, depending on your recipe, you frequently only get the THC and not any of the other psychoactive cannabinoids. That's one of the reasons why medical marijuana patients prefer to smoke rather than use Marinol, the (legal) prescription synthetic THC pill.

Speaking of alcoholic beverages that would appeal to Dead concertogers, though, I have heard stories of extracting the psilocybin from magic mushrooms by soaking them in vodka. I'm not sure who's crazy enough to be interested in drunken tripping (I'm not), but if anyone is, I imagine it would be the same sort of person who is still following the Dead around.

Maybe when I go to Bonnaroo again next year, I'll throw some pieces of portobello in a bottle of Five 'o Clock and try to make a few bucks off the dirty hippies stoned enough not to know the difference

#13840 08/12/04 06:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Funny stuff, Josh. You have a lot more sense than I did at your age - but that ain't saying much.

#13841 08/12/04 10:51 PM
BigWill, You're forgetting that part of doing well in college is learning to master the art of bullshitting. Don't let him fool you into thinking he's smart.

Just being hard on you josh. You're our favorite college student (who's currently in the country).

#13842 08/17/04 07:50 PM
local
local
*BUMP* Ok back to page one. You guys are slacking.
Anyway, thought I'd add a few things. First off, the Belgians have been dethroned this year. Westvleteren Abt12 lost to AleSmith Barrel Aged Speedway Stout in the RateBeer Best Summer 2004. GO USA!!!!

Also, I picked up a 6 of Hoegaarden (WHO-GAR-DEN) this weekend and I must say that this is the one beer that I could drink at any time other than winter (Stout and Porter season). It is by far the smoothest and most unique wheat beer I've had thus far. Well maybe a tie with Duvel. Anyway thought I'd let you guys know.

#13843 08/17/04 08:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
since it was bumped, i will add a story!!

i got out of the house for the first time last night since the baby was born, and went to drink a few and smoke some cigars and watch MNF with my buddies. i was in a hurry, and short on cash so i stopped at the convience store and they had MILLER HIGH LIFE in a 32 ounce tall-boy can for $1.49. now, i have NEVER had MILLER HL.. i have had miller lite, and genuine draft, but never the original. to be honest, i dont like miller lite or the GD, but a bargain is a bargain!! i looked in the beer cooler for something else to fit my needs, but there was nothing standing out to me. so, i grabbed 2 cold cans, a bag of pork skins, and headed toward the counter.

once i got to my buddies house, i pulled out one of the cans and sat it on the coffee table, and went to the kitchen to put the other can in the fridge. well, when i got back, they were all looking at me like i had grown a penis out of my forehead. their look of astonishment was rather unsettling.. i assured them it was OK, i hadnt been abducted by aliens, and that i was trying it out cause it was cheap. i mean, i got diapers and stuff to buy now.. i cant be wasting good money on expensive beer.

so, i pop the top and raise it up for a smell.. **sidenote**, a 32 oz can feels about like trying to drink from a 55 gallon drum. OK, take a whiff, and its not too bad. not great.. they are still lookin at me, so i think the penis on my head has gotten bigger.. finally take a drink, and to my surprise, its not all bad. it seemed a little bitter, but not unbearable.. it got easier with each drink, and by the second quarter, it was just like any other beer. i decided to start pouring the next can in a glass and keep the can in the fridge, it kinda got warm at the bottom of the first one. it went down fine, and i am proud to say that i have found my new choice, that is, as long as it stays $1.49 a can!! i am the consumate bargain shopper!!

BTW- i think this goes to prove, i am just a beer whore.. i have found that i will drink any beer, dark or ale, regular or light, cold or warm, thick and thin, expensive or cheap!! it dont matter very much at all.. to be honest, i think i have only turned 2 beers away in my whole life.. one was a samual adams, YUCK.. and the other was a german beer that had stuff floating in it.. the barback said it was to add flavor, i just felt like i was drinkin from some cowboys spit cup!

OK, story over.. point and laugh if you want, i dont care!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#13844 08/17/04 09:50 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I would point and laugh just on general principles (and because you invited me to), but I'm very much in the "whatever makes you happy" camp. I'm glad you enjoyed the Miller. I've found that those beers taste better if you can't smell them. No headache?

So, there was not ACTUALLY a peni$ growing out of your forehead, then?

Thanks for sharing!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#13845 08/17/04 11:23 PM
In reply to:

I've found that those beers taste better if you can't smell them.

Which is why they'd better be close to frozen if I'm even going to bother cracking one open.

Page 41 of 260 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 259 260

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters