Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best bang for the buck amp/wattage to push Axioms.
Shugs1037 #143444 07/14/06 03:24 PM
shareholder in the making
Not sure what I said that you would disagree with? If you read my post, I just asked him what was wrong with the HK. It is fact about how HK rates their AVR's. I also mentioned that he could add some Monoblocks, so I don't see what your disagreeing about?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #143445 07/14/06 05:41 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Ooops, sorry bud, I wasn't clear on what I was disagreeing with. I think having an amp and pre/pro power the whole system makes a difference for all the speakers. I really noticed it on my DVD Audio disc of the Eagles Hell Freezes Over. The surround channels became more enveloping and made me feel as if I was there at the concert.

There is no question the HK receivers are good and provide nice solid current. I have owned them for years. In fact, I still have the HK 435 in use until my Outlaw gear gets here.

So, to summarize, I basically disagreed with using just two channels of amplification and the HK (to power the rest) and instead going for the gusto and having all channels powered by an external amp and pre/pro if the funds will allow.

Like I said before, it's all in the ear of the beholder. Some folks may prefer the sound of a receiver and vice versa. This was my own take on the situation.

I didn't mean to upset you or dis you in any way. I'm just expressing my experience with the gear. I know a ton of stuff out there really hypes the reviews and such...I was just validating it with real world application.

Chris

"What's the writing on that treasure chest say...EP600?"
fraink #143446 07/14/06 05:57 PM
local
local
I have experienced the DTS problem. Sometimes it will make your speakers sound as if they are blown. They sound really really bad. Usually it starts off OK but everynow and then the sound just goes to sh*t. On the Dolby Digital track it will sound just fine. I need a new receiver but will have to make due with the 300 for now. I never tried using it to power my Axioms. I use a HK signature 2.1 5 channel amp for center and surrounds and a Sunfire 300-2 channel for the M80's. It will play much louder than a person with normal hearing can stand, and do it extremely clean. I do like overkill. At one time I was considering the HK7300 that puts out about 145watts per channel up to 5 channels. The sound and vision lab test was very impressive. In the end I decided to go with seperates. I wish Denon or HK would put out a processor that has all the current formats. I don't need any more amplification.

M80ti's, VP150, QS8's
Shugs1037 #143447 07/14/06 06:40 PM
Not a problem Chris, I thought maybe you were addressing JohnK, as he likes to argue the seperates Versus AVR's from time to time.

I would like to go down that path at some point, when funds permit. Would I experience the same feeling you did if I purchased Monoblocks to drive my other speakers, and let the Denon 2805 do the decoding? Or would it be better to get a 7 channel amp/tuner at some point?

Thanks man. By the way, my son likes your Avatar.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #143448 07/14/06 08:49 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
It's all good then....sweet!

I love the avatar too...took me a long time to find one I liked!

It's funny you mention doing the Denon and using it as a Pre-Amp....I had pondered doing the same thing with the HK.
You will definitely hear an audible difference from your internal Denon amps and seperate amps even if they are rated at the same power output. You could go that way first and build up to the complete package.

To further improve the overall sound characteristics, a dedicated pre/pro gives you a better signal to Noise ratio and a bunch of other technical advantages because it only has to work on decoding the signal and not amplifiying your speakers too. You can crank it up much, much higher without clipping.
It's not really about being louder but more dynamic and impactful. Honestly, it's hard to describe but trust me there is a difference that is worth the extra cash IMHO.

My opinion is...try out the Outlaw gear (or any other seperates for that matter) to see if you think it is worth it. If you are not pleased you can send it back within 30 days. Even at a dealer demo you are not quite sure how it will sound in your specific room. I did a home demo using Rotel gear and wow, even my fiancee who is generally clueless about this stuff remarked how much better is was. I returned the gear (I know the store manager ) since Rotel was too expensive for me and stumbled into the Outlaw stuff.

You will be shocked at the performance difference....I know the Axioms are great through a receiver...take those babies to a new level!

I'm sorry if I sound like a sales guy...I'm just a boring accountant. But I know great sound when I hear it. Heck, if you are not happy, just send the stuff back.

I know this stuff ain't cheap but it is worth every penny. If the woman in your life sits up and takes notice, that is saying a whole lot!

Chris

"What's the writing on that treasure chest say...EP600?"
Shugs1037 #143449 07/15/06 12:00 AM
local
local
Watch EBay's HK site for a refurbed 630 or 635. Good prices and lots of power.

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020