Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: upconverting or upscaling DVD players
chesseroo #143581 07/27/06 01:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hey chess

check out tv tuners that use the conexant chipset.
excellent quality.
I used to have the TVAnywhere model and I know scaled faster than the ATI chipset with the older 9500 ATI All in One cards.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=TV@nywhere_Plus&class=vga
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=Digital@nywhere-ATSC&class=vga

if you just want to go external then I would just recommend any of these model. I have the Nextvision N5
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/

Quote:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tuner card OTHER than ATI?
I've been looking at Hauppage and Pinnacle, but came across DViCO the other day.
I'm not sure if any of them have good track records for drivers, software, updates and overall quality products (not that i'm thrilled with ATI, but i would not care to venture something even worse).

Any opinions of experience would be appreciated. Opinions based on heresay or net reports are always welcome, but these are incredibly unreliable. It always seems that 50% of the people who use ATI cards have no problems, and then the other 50% get no rest at all. I'm in that latter category.
Have had great success with nvidia, but they dont' sell video capture/tuner cards. For some reason the ATI AIW cards i've used have always had at least one or two major glitches, sometimes fixed in driver updates, only to have another one popup.
I recently had to RMA two cards to ATI including one they had just returned to me. The last one i received (#3) had a broken pin on the HSF which i fixed with a chunk of cork and a wood screw, but damn, what idiot would send out a new yet broken card on a RMA return?
Bloody infuriating.

Saturn #143582 07/27/06 02:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Saturn,
What about the software apps for these cards? Any opinion?
ATI's solution is nice in features but short on function. After all this time you would figure they would have the major bugs worked out and a more simple method of installation for all required components.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #143583 07/27/06 04:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The MSI TV software is good. Had no issues. It scales rather well actually. The remote is less than desired. All I did is use a learning remote to mimic the remote presses or even better emulate the keyboard strokes & mouse movements on your learning remote using a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then your remote can control your PC.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup