Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on
St_PatGuy #143634 07/17/06 02:58 AM
veteran
veteran
Must agree here, with the content out there. I am really waiting for Ice Age 2 to come out, since I never got to see it in theatres.

However, here's what I have viewed recently: 16 Blocks, The Man, Underclassman, Bandits, Syriana, Nanny McFee, Prime, and a few others. None of them were really LFE ridden...and none of them were all that great.

16 blocks -- I was disappointed by 16 blocks -- thought it would be better. Not much action, but the little bit that was there definately tickled the system. Interesting story, though, but just rather boring (to me at least).

The Man -- Actually, a funny movie, with a couple of interesting car scenes. Some shooting scenes, as well. At least it was interesting, and kept my attention.

Underclassman -- Decent movie, not too funny, or boring, but it could have been better. Some decent shooting scenes, which bring the surrounds alive. A few boat scenes which do the same. Interesting enough story line, but I figure it has been done before...somewhere.

Bandits -- Could have been a better movie, if they trimmed some time off of it. Otherwise, the story was alright, and certain scenes brought the system alive. The end was a bit of a suprise...and what I thought to be the best part of the movie.

Syriana -- It made sense, but it didn't make sense to watch it. Rather boring to me...but others may disagree.

Nanny McFee -- A rather humorous and interesting childrens movie. It had some decent effects, especially with the magic stick. Some decent LFE there too.

Prime -- Not much LFE or anything, but it was a good movie. Again, a little long, but the story was good, for the most part. They could have made it a little shorter...and it would have gotten the point across.

Next up, Ghost ship and The Village (neither of which I have seen before). I hope they are good...and keep me interested...otherwise, I may have to listen to more music...hehe.

NEED ICE AGE 2!!!

inthedeck #143635 07/17/06 01:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I thought Ghost Ship was a good movie - one we rented for the very reason this thread was started!!
The Village was also rented for this reason, and personally, I did not think it was worth the few dollars to rent....

Ice Age 2 was a very good movie. Cars was also a movie I really enjoyed.

Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on DVD
2x6spds #143636 07/17/06 02:14 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Another trip to the DVD store and I left empty handed. Nothing worth buying. All this great equipment and such long waits between decent movies released to DVD.

Anyone else feel like this?

I did until I picked up "Running Scared" this weekend. This one was ignored in the theaters but it is a very engaging story. The best part is that the disc feature a very active DTS ES 6.1 mix. The movie is very violent, so I caution those with a weak stomach. Don't let the fact that Paul Walker is the lead character - he actually puts in a good performance.

royce73 #143637 07/17/06 03:02 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I bought that one and I agree with you. It's a good'n. – Definitely not a movie for youngins though…….

We watched "The Matador" last night. The sound track and LFE were excellent! I was quite impressed with it. In the beginning, a car bomb resulted in my drink jumping out of my hand and onto my girlfriend’s lap when I wasn't paying attention to the movie while fiddling with the remote, which resulted in me getting whacked upside the head as she got the effect of the car bomb from the ep600 and 12 ounces of cold sticky liquid at the same time. The story line itself was one where I found myself disgusted that I was laughing my ass off at times. I reckon that makes a good story eh?

Watched Ultraviolet with my 12 YO a couple nights ago. Even he thought that it well, …. to use his words “this sucks dad”.

michael_d #143638 07/17/06 03:52 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A friend brought over a copy of "Snatch." That is one funny movie - a Brit Pulp Fiction sort of effort. Terrific. I recommend it highly, although it did not have much in the way of audio virtue.

I'm going to get a copy of Matador and Running Scared ... never heard of them before - thanks.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
royce73 #143639 07/17/06 04:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

I did until I picked up "Running Scared" this weekend. This one was ignored in the theaters but it is a very engaging story. The best part is that the disc feature a very active DTS ES 6.1 mix. The movie is very violent, so I caution those with a weak stomach. Don't let the fact that Paul Walker is the lead character - he actually puts in a good performance.

I took a chance at this movie this weekend because nothing else on the shelves looked appealing. I wasn't expecting a lot from Paul Walker, but was pleasantly surprised. This is the best I've seen him act and the story was very entertaining.

I also rented "The Family Stone" which I highly recommend you pass on. What a waste of good actors.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
sonicfox #143640 07/17/06 04:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Just glad that I have a never ending supply of movies. I signed up with Blockbuster online, and now, I get two movies at home, any time, and also a free movie coupon every week, for 52 weeks. I tell ya, I love watching movies...as I can't stand cable (until the school season starts, and all the new shows come out again). Summer TV is lame...

I will check out some of the other ones (I have to return one movie tonight and pick up another free one). Always great to be able to go to the store, as DVD's are in the mail.

2x6spds #143641 07/17/06 04:57 PM
veteran
veteran
For anyone who likes "Running Scared", I would also suggest "The Cooler" staring William H. Macy, Maria Bello, and Alec Baldwin. It was written & directed by Wayne Kramer, the same writer/director of "Running Scared".

Also, another poorly marketed move that really pays off is "A History of Violence" starring Viggo Mortensen. Just as violent as "Running Scarred" but with some really good character moments.

royce73 #143642 07/18/06 12:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I liked "A History of Violence." You are right, though, it is more about character than plot and I think that dissaudes people from seeing it.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #143643 07/18/06 01:22 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I thought A History of Violence was a pretty good show.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters