Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on
samandnoah #143664 07/19/06 09:28 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Good post, Rich. btw, I liked Chocolat, too. My wife usually is more successful at picking movies we both like than I am. Although we both select our share of films where you just look at each other at the end and wonder why you spent two hours of your life watching that.

I need to re-view Edward Scissorhands.

I had to check, because I always used to get them mixed up too, but it was Tatum O'Neal in Bad News Bears, not Jodie Foster. It was a long time ago!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #143665 07/19/06 10:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I need to re-view Edward Scissorhands.

A very interesting movie, as most all of Tim Burton's films are. I have become a bigger fan of the soundtrack to this film, and all of Danny Elfman's work. Especially since I use a lot of it as mood music to our Halloween display.

Elfman has an impressive resume of film and TV themes. IMDB is definitely a great resource to find out everything Elfman has done.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
samandnoah #143666 07/20/06 12:47 AM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Boy, there is a movie from my childhood that I saw on "Million Dollar Movie," that I just can't find ... David Lean's "Breaking the Sound Barrier." Saw it when I was a kid and loved it then ... would like to see how it plays now that I'm all grown up.

Some great recommendations out there - thanks! When I'm done with my current project, I'll have a bunch of movies to try out.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on DVD
michael_d #143667 07/20/06 03:19 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Watched End Game last night. I thought it just had to be good with Cuba Gooding Jr in it, and I reckon it was for the most part. Until the end that is. It had me guessing “who did it” the whole way. Then you find out in the end, and whole conclusion / ending sucked. I’m still pissed at it. Good sound, good all around movie…..with a crappy ending.

Good movie. Just watched it this evening. I must say, the ending wasn't all that spectacular, but you gotta say...the secret was kept. THe movie itself was pretty good...and yes, it did keep us guessing, all the way.

Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on DVD
inthedeck #143668 07/20/06 02:29 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Thanks Jack. I wander into IMDB from time to time. I have had a jones for movies since I was a kid and I watch the ones I like several times.

When I see the title for an older movie I enjoyed, that usually triggers a Netflix request. Problem is, it''s tough going through years of a mental catalog to pull out a title. Especially as the room the catalog is in gets dimmer as the years march on.

tomtuttle #143669 07/20/06 02:39 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

I had to check, because I always used to get them mixed up too, but it was Tatum O'Neal in Bad News Bears, not Jodie Foster. It was a long time ago!

As always, Tom, you are correct. But she was in the original "Freaky Friday".

There are some good recommendations out there I'll have to check out. Y'all have fun. I'm off on vacation....

Rich

samandnoah #143670 07/24/06 05:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Just watched "Ghost Ship" and "House of Sand and Fog" this past weekend. Ghost Ship was ok, and had its interesting moments. HoSaF wasn't 'action packed' but the end was really good. The movie itself was kinda slow, but the story line was definately something interesting. In the end, no one won (try saying that fast three times -- ).

Also saw PoTC: Dead Man's Chest...and it was OK. Kinda long, at 2.5 hours...and some material could have been left out...but I gather it will be used somewhere in the third movie. I did wait for all the credits to go by...and saw the 'last scene' of the movie...which explains nothing...but, shows what happened to one particular character, in the movie...so I would suggest waiting (in a theatre) to watch that little bit of info.

I also happened to watch the first episode of 'Lost' (don't know how I missed it...) on DVD. Nice, and action packed, good surround/LFE, and best of all, no commercials!

Now, waiting for Fantastic 4 and Derailed -- another set, that I have never watched before.

inthedeck #143671 07/24/06 07:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks like another lousy week for DVD releases, but next week V for Vendetta comes out and I haven't seen it

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #143672 07/25/06 04:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Looks like another lousy week for DVD releases, but next week V for Vendetta comes out and I haven't seen it

Awesome! Loved V for Vendetta. Can't wait to rewatch it.

HomeDad #143673 07/25/06 04:06 PM
veteran
veteran
I bought this DVD a=on a whim ($7 at DeepDiscount DVD), but I think it is a must watch for any comic book fan: Daredevil - Director's Cut. VASTLY superior to the theatrical release. There is about 30 extra minutes that improves the pacing and expands on the characters.

SPOILER ALERT!!! In the theatrical version, while on the rooftop with Elektra (Jennifer Garner) Daredevil senses someone in trouble but forgoes saving the innocent and instead bangs Elektra. In the director's cut, Daredevil pushes Elektra's advances aside and saves the victim. Now, I like watching a Jennifer Garner love scene as much as anyone, but I felt the scene in the original was way out of character. The new version is more in line with the actual hero.

The "making of" extra is revealing as well, where the director passionatly talks about his love for the director's cut and the movie exec stoically talks about the theater version and why it is better. Definately worth a seond luck for those dissapointed in the theater cut.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters