Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Best American Band?
littleb #143739 07/18/06 02:32 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
And I'm pretty sure David Crosby oiginated from some other planet!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #143740 07/18/06 02:37 PM
local
local
In a pure American genre

The Allman Brothers (and now)
Gov't Mule
The Derek Trucks Band

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
littleb #143741 07/18/06 03:17 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I gave up trying to figure out my favorite group’s nationality when I found out that my all time favorite group (AC/DC) was NOT from the US. I must have been a fan of theirs for better than 20 years before I figured that out…….goes to show how observant I am.

I like Green Day quite a bit, but for some reason I thought they were from England.

While I do like my classic hard rock groups (most already mentioned), I tend to listen to more of the new rock that’s been coming out past five years or so.

Nickelback is one of favorite groups, but they’re from Canada.
Theory of a Deadman is in my top ten list. Another Canadian group produced by Nickleback’s Chad Kroeger. No wonder I like them.
Shinedown is bumping AC/DC for the top honor. I think they are from the U.S., but not certain. Their latest CD (Us and Them) is friggin awesome, both musically and recording quality.
Three Days Grace is bound to be a kick ass group if they don’t fade out. I’m enjoying their One X album right now. Don’t know where they’re from.
I’ve always liked the Goo-Goo Dolls. I think they’re U.S. I got to meet these guys when they visited Alaska and didn’t ever think to ask them any personal questions. Their new CD has got to be the best one yet.
Collective Soul is always good. I think they’re U.S.
Hoobastank is quite good, especially their new CD. It’s got to have the most ‘unique’ sound to it I’ve ever heard. Still ‘their’ sound, but just different. I’m really enjoying it. Don’t know where they’re from.
Seether also on my top ten list. U.S.??
And then there’s always Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He's gotta be from the U.S.?? Heck, I'm not sure now that I ask myself the question.

I just realized that I don’t know much…………

michael_d #143742 07/18/06 04:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll second Nine Inch Nails. Best World Wide band for me, let alone American.

michael_d #143743 07/18/06 05:10 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Geez, Mike, thanks for the tips! I've always been a big AC/DC fan, too. See the Live at Donnington video (it's Brian Johnson not Bon Scott, but the production is pretty darn cool).

Guys, you all know that "best" is entirely subjective. I mean, many of the bands mentioned were clearly innovative, influential, creative, successful, etc. But how do you measure "best"? Does it equate with "most enjoyable to me"? Do musicianship, longevity, live performance, etc. count?

Since we've thrown national origin into it, would you include as a criterion whether or not the music expressed a particular and identifiable "American" character? I'm sure it will not surprise many of you to learn that my personal answer to that question is "yes". To echo BrotherBob's sentiments, there are many bands from America who make wonderful and powerful music, but yet fail to express anything that resonates with me as uniquely American. Likewise, it is common for US-originated genres to be improved by the perspective and interpretation of musicians from around the world.

I will grant that - as I get older - the nature of my emotional involvement in music has evolved.

Here are some of my favorites:

John Hiatt (with whatever incarnation of his backup band)
Lyle Lovett and his large band
Allman Brothers
Count Basie Band with Joe Williams
Duke Ellington Orchestra
Miles
SRV and Double Trouble
BB King Blues Band

Now, some of you may object to my list in that it is composed almost entirely of groups dominated by one particularly talented or charismatic leader. I would contend that in all of these cases, the spontaneous creative interplay between musicians is well respected and represented. If that were not true, the music would simply not be as rich as it is.

Mark, get a job.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ken.C #143744 07/18/06 05:47 PM
Quote:

I believe Dave Matthews is South African.

Dave was born in South Africa (1967), moved to the States (NY) when he was two, and the band formed in Charlottesville, VA in 1991.

Thank you wikipedia.

michael_d #143745 07/18/06 11:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>> Collective Soul is always good. I think they’re U.S.

>>> And then there’s always Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He's gotta be from the U.S.??

I do know that Collective Soul is from Atlanta, GA ... isn't R.E.M. and The B-52s from Atlanta also? And Kenny Wayne Sheppard is from Shreveport, LA., I don't know about the others though. Nice list Mike!

Rick
Our Room

smile
pmbuko #143746 07/19/06 02:09 AM
I sit like a lump on my couch corrected.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
RickF #143747 07/19/06 12:51 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Ah-ha!! Southern routs, no wonder I like them.

Southern gets me thinking about 38 Special. Damn I sure like that band…….the seamed to have lost their sound for a spell, but their last CD (Drive Train) is a pretty good attempt to get back to their roots.

Hey Tom, if you like BB King, pick yourself up Kirk Fletcher, Shades of Blue. The CD sounds great on the Axioms too. Nicely recorded……

Copy / Paste from Amazon

Editorial Reviews
About the Artist
KIRK "ELI" FLETCHER
Guitarist Kirk "Eli" Fletcher is, ironically, a rare presence on today’s blues scene: a 20-something African-American man who has thoroughly immersed himself in the classic blues sounds of the 1950s and '60s. Son of a Baptist minister, Kirk's introduction to the blues came as a teenager, through his older brother's copy of B.B. King's "Live At the Regal", and he hasn't looked back since. In Kirk's relatively short time playing music, he's made some big waves and impressed a lot of the right people. Coming up through the ranks of the West Coast blues scene, he's spent valuable time with Al Blake (former frontman of the legendary Hollywood Fats Band), Richard "Lynwood Slim" Duran, and Junior Watson, among others. Eventually he was handpicked for Kim Wilson's Blues Revue, the modern day equivalent of joining, say, Muddy Waters' band in the 1950s. From there he was recruited for veteran harp man Charlie Musselwhite's band, and not long afterwards, with help from Wilson, Blake! and Duran among others, he recorded his first CD, for England's JSP label. While continuing to work as one of the most sought after 'hired hands' on the West Coast blues scene, he began an association with blues producer and promoter Randy Chortkoff, which resulted in Kirk's most recent solo CD, "Shades Of Blue". On that project Kirk was supported by some the hottest and most experienced West Coast blues veterans, among them vocalist Finis Tasby, laying the groundwork for his most recent recording with all-star supper group The Mannish Boys.

Product Description
"Raw blues does not get any better than this"
The essential album by dynamic guitarist Kirk Fletcher, "Shades of Blue" can only be described as classic electric Chicago, Delta, and West Coast blues played with passion and fire by one of the best blues guitarists in the business, with a little help from some high-profile friends.
This is the first time that "Shades of Blue" has been available in the US, newly re-mastered and with 3 previously unreleased tracks!
The album also features a powerhouse of blues talent including: Kim Wilson, Janiva Magness, Finis Tasby, Ronnie James Weber, and more!
With a total 17 tracks this album is a must have for music lovers worldwide.

michael_d #143748 07/19/06 12:57 PM
M
buff
buff
M
Just a few more

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Blue Oyster Cult
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Marshall Tucker Band
Montrose