Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
My Superchunk Bass Trap Project, Graphs included
#144079 07/25/06 04:50 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
As most of you know, I've gone graph crazy. Not sure what it is, but there is something that is interesting about improving your room response and overall sound.

Before I get started, I want to thank "Bridgman" for helping me become an Excel expert on graph plotting.

Ok, so I've been spending some time lately on various websites reading about the topic of improving your room response by using a combination of bass traps and mid-high treatments. Many believe this type of setup is mainly for recording studios, when in fact the same rules apply to a HT environment. There are tons of great websites out there on this subject. Audioholics even has some great articles on bass traps and acoustic treatments. Another great starting point is http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html or reading some of the other articles by Ethan's company at www.realtraps.com.

I decided to take the DIY route as usual to save a buck. What I really appreciate about people like Ethan from RealTraps, Bryan from SensibleSoundSolutions, and Glen from GIK Acoustics, is that they were willing to give me advice on building my own treatments using some of the same materials they use, versus trying to talk me into buying from them.

Based on my research I decided to purchase some Owens Corning 703 Rigid Fiberglass board from a local insulation distributor. This is a popular product that has been proven to have great absorption properties when installed correctly. Many people use foam products, but if you look at the stats, they just can't compare to Rigid Fiberglass board, Mineral Wool board, or cotton. The 703 I purchased came in 2' x 4' x 2" thick sheets. Many people will double these up and straddle a corner which provides good results for bass trapping, just ask Royce73. However, an even better method is to use superchunks, which basically are triangles that fill the entire void in the corner.

The OC 703 is very easy to cut. Just make sure you have some gloves on as it can make you itch, just like regular fiberglass. For starters you cut the 2' x 4' piece in half. This gives you two 2' x 2' pieces. You then cut these each diagonally to make triangles which are 24" x 24" x 34". Many people use this size for their corner chunks, however, I decided to make another cut to those pieces which gave me 17" x 17" x 24". This size worked better next to my screen and gave me room for my m60's.

Here is a picture of some of the precut OC703.

Once they are all cut, you basically stack them in the corner. I built a frame out of some 1 x 2 pine, and used general purpose velcro to attach the black felt I purchased at Walmart.

For low bass frequencies the material is not as important as it is for higher frequencies. With the higher frequencies you don't want a material that will reflect the sound. A good test is if you can see some light passing through or if you can feel your breath through the material you'll be fine. Muslin is another material often used.

Anyway, I know Bridgman told me not to worry about graphs, but I could not help myself. I didn't figure I would see much improvement just by adding two rear wall bass traps. In reality, it is best to have all your corners treated with some form of bass trap, this can include corners where ceilings meet walls also. I would then move onto treating some of the first reflection points with mid-high frequency traps. But one thing at a time.

Sooooooo without further ado.....Here is my most recent graph. In both situations I used the Real Traps test tone CD which covers from 10hz upto 300hz in 1hz increments. The master volume was set at 70dB's per the instructions. Prior to the tests all my speakers were calibrated for SPL, Delay, and dB levels using the Denon built in mic and setup. In addition, I verified the dB levels with my SPL meter prior to starting. M60's were set to small with a crossover of 80hZ.

Overall, I feel there is some good improvement if you compare the before/after plots across the entire graph. You can see the severe dips I had around 145hz and 235hz have improved. In addition some of the higher peaks around 40hz, 55hz, and 80hz, have been reduced slightly.

The most important thing that really suprised me is the sound has improved just with two rear traps. I've been listening to a variety of cd's in my collection and I am being 100% honest that I truely hear a positive difference. The bass is much tighter and individual notes are clearer and easier to hear versus the "one note bass" that some experience, especially in the lower range.

Sorry this has been such a long post, I hope some of you can provide some positive feedback for me.

Thanks for listening, Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: My Superchunk Bass Trap Project, Graphs included
SirQuack #144080 07/25/06 05:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow -- those are mighty impressive looking bass traps, and they really seem to disappear once you get the frame and grill installed. VERY nice. I'm tempted to load up the back of the Magnum with OC 703 sheets, grab a sharp knife and head over to MarkSJohnson's house.

Just a quick thought -- we look real hard at the +/-3 dB frequency response specs for speakers, ie 6 dB deviation within the listening range. Very roughly, those traps took the deviation from 42 dB (!!!) down to 26 dB. The big bass peaks came down by 5-7 dB, and in most of the other frequencies the excursions were down by a few dB.

Very interesting results. Conventional wisdom is that you need a lot more traps, but those are BIG honkin' traps. Thanks very much for taking the measurements and posting so much good information.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/25/06 05:22 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
SirQuack #144081 07/25/06 05:19 AM
Randy my observation is that the significant improvement appears around 140-150Hz, but the total variation around 220-250Hz seems the same or a bit greater. Maybe just that upper bass area improvement does make an audible difference.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

SirQuack #144082 07/25/06 11:31 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Very professional looking job, Randy! I am glad to hear that you are pleased with the outcome as well. Keep us informed if you decide to add more traps.

bridgman #144083 07/25/06 01:56 PM
OP Offline
Thanks guys for looking at my results. One question I have is in regards to toe in of the main speakers. Most of the acoustic websites say the best place in a room is to be 38% back from the front wall, if this is not available, 38% from the rear wall is a good second choice. By default, these locations have the least amount of modes present and a good starting point, before bass traps.

38% back from my front wall is almost 12ft. My m60's are a tad over 10ft apart. If I have the m60's aiming just slightly behind the main seating position they are toed in very much. I wonder if this excessive toe in is not a good thing and may alter the graph above? I've read you should have an equilateral triangle to the primary position, but how is this possible if the speakers are not toed in somewhat?

SirQuack #144084 07/25/06 02:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Looking good, SirQ!!

Glad to see that can tell the difference like I have. It is nice to know that it just wasn't my mind playing tricks on me. I got the day off work today and the nanny is here, so your post was has inspired me to post my RealTraps Graph as well. Once you get the time, I am sure you will see a bit more improvement with the third and fourth chunk traps

I noticed you had a dip around the 140-150 area like I have as well. Anyone have any thoughts as to improving those frequencies?

royce73 #144085 07/25/06 03:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Here's my first REALTrap measurement done a few weeks ago. I believe I was running my sub too hot.

Here is my room layout as well:

Any expert advice as to how to fix my highlighted problem areas?

royce73 #144086 07/25/06 04:28 PM
OP Offline
Hey Royce, nice graph and drawing. Is the room drawing to scale? To me it appears the side reflection points may be to much into the room. How did you arrive at those locations, using the mirror trick, or the equation on the RealTraps website? If you imagine making a Pool Bank shot off the wall, it does not appear you would hit the speakers. Also, I wonder if it might help if you move the sub a little closer to the corner, not sure? I'm no expert, YET.

Re: My Superchunk Bass Trap Project, Graphs includ
SirQuack #144087 07/25/06 04:55 PM
veteran
veteran
My statistics / econometric methods are a bit rusty. I'm wondering what the best way to interpret the data would be from an objective statistical standpoint. I suppose one would want to calculate and compare the standard deviation, variance and the number of outliers (and their magnitude). Oh oh, of course one should always be on guard for "heteroskedaticity".

I'm sure Chess will chime in. He will know.

Cheers,

J

SirQuack #144088 07/25/06 05:17 PM
veteran
veteran
Randy,

No, the room picture is not to scale. The side traps are about two feet away from the end of the corner trap. I used the trusty mirror trick. I did also view it as a "Pool Shot" and the bank shot would hit the side trap in the real room.

I had the sub in the corner for my first measurements. There was a HUGE dip around my crossover point so I moved the sub closer to my sweet spot. The difference was noticable sonically and on the graph, so I decided to use that location. The sub is right up against the side trap like in the diagram, but os only three feet from the corner of the room.

I just finished another reading, this time I moved my CD/DVD shelf to the back wall and the table to the side. The bookshelf should be better for disfussion against the back wall. I will post soon.

royce73 #144089 07/25/06 05:53 PM
veteran
veteran
Okay, I turned down the volume on the sub as my first graph showed that my lower frequency were charting a bit higher than my mids and highs. Here is the result:

Now compare my two REALTRAP readingds side by side:

Looks like I fixed the dip at the lower frequencies at addressed the big problem between the 220-260 mhz a bit. A definate improvement.

royce73 #144090 07/25/06 06:56 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Now, here you guys go again trying to quantify "quality". Did the 1960's teach you nothing?

Nice work, Randy. Really fantastic looking, and it makes good sense to me that you would hear an improvement. I'm jealous of you guys that have dedicated rooms.

Quote:

and head over to MarkSJohnson's house

Now THAT is some funny stuff, right there.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
royce73 #144091 07/25/06 07:29 PM
OP Offline
Wow Royce, that seems like a large improvement over the first graph. Amazing how making minor adjustments to the sub gain and/or moving a few items around in the room make such a big difference. Just placing a throw blanket over to top of leather chairs can make a difference. Ethan Winer on realtraps mentioned a table in front of his couch was skewing results, so he just put a nice doily over the top and that tamed the response.

It appears that you have reduced your overal deviation from about 30dB down to 20dB, and the larger bass peaks appear to have dropped by about 5dB's. This is fun stuff.

royce73 #144092 07/25/06 07:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>There was a HUGE dip around my crossover point

That is nature's way of saying "fliiip the phaaaaaase switchhhh....". If your sub and mains are out of phase they will cancel at the crossover point and you will get a big dip.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
royce73 #144093 07/25/06 07:48 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm intrigued that the treatments helped with your ~60Hz null. I'm going to be upgrading my treatments soon (just adding more fiberglass in the corners behind existing traps). I've got a 60Hz suckout too. Perhaps I'll see some improvement as well.

Professional Axiom Lurker
SirQuack #144094 07/26/06 12:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice job Randy, man those traps look extremely good! I just did get my GIK Tri-Traps in today and due to working late just did get 'em in the corners, wife loves the look and I am enjoying the sound ... a significant difference? Probably not, but man the Axioms are sounding extremely good while playing Joe Bonamassa and the new Los Lonely Boys 'Sacred' CD. Whenever I get the time I'll do a couple of more manual graphs to see if there is a difference there but to my ear everything *seems* to be quite a bit tighter.

Upon searching I have found there must be a million ways and suggestions to *properly* set up the speakers but I did the Rives suggestion of having the mains 1/5 the distance of the room from the front wall which put my 80s 5ft from the front wall and I also put the listening position 38% from the back wall, I had to patiently adjust the toe-in 'till everything just clicked and by George the system is sounding mighty fine. My mains are 11.5 ft apart and the listening position is 13 ft from the mains and center...while listening in 2 ch stereo my son lost a bet over the weekend believing the center channel was playing.

It's amazing just how minute adjustments and tweaking does for the sound, it is fun and the music never sounded better!

Rick
Our Room

smile
mrnomas #144095 07/26/06 01:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the before and after graphs also included moving the subwoofer from a corner to the side wall.

Again, suckout at crossover can often be fixed with the phase switch -- that's why it's there.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
Jordan #144096 07/26/06 02:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I suppose one would want to calculate and compare the standard deviation, variance and the number of outliers (and their magnitude). Oh oh, of course one should always be on guard for "heteroskedaticity".

Now we're talkin!! None of this subjective "hearing" nonsense that everyone keeps talking about.

Actually i think royce has had noticeable improvement towards linearity in his graph by eliminating a huge dip and reducing the magnitude of change in SPL from top to bottom. Whether the increased linearity sounds better is still subjective and obviously difficult to A/B test.

Listen to bridgman, "the phase is all around you, use the phase Luke...use the phase"

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
SirQuack #144097 07/27/06 04:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So Randy, does this mean you will have to do all these tests over again once you get your M80's

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #144098 07/27/06 11:20 PM
OP Offline
I've got it figured out, your really WID, under a new alias. ha ha

I'd love some 80's but not sure if it will happen for some time. To late to trade up with Axiom, I've owned them to long. Even though mine are like new, it still has been over a year or so... To be honest, the 60's sound awesome.

SirQuack #144099 08/01/06 07:30 PM
OP Offline
I thought I would update the above drawing to give you all a better idea of what the room looks like. Keep in mind this is not to scale.

Since I have completed my Superchunk Traps on the front wall, my next plans are to build some column traps to go in the rear corners.

I would also like to put some bass traps where the walls/ceiling meet in the HT area above where I'm thinking about putting some 1st reflection treatments. Also, I eventually might put some 1st reflection on the ceiling locations.

As you can see, there is a 10" bulk head dropped along the entire width of the room, I might be able to put some smaller bass traps up in the corner facing the screen?

What do you all think?

Also, I have a few questions for using 703 for 1st Reflection Treatments:

1) First of all, am I correct in saying I want to leave some space behind the 703 and the wall, within the frame I build?

2) Also, do I want to use the FRK(scrim) on the side facing the room, or use regular 703 with no facing?

3) For those wall/ceiling treatments do most people use 2" thick or double up and use 4" thick 703?

Thanks in advance, Randy

SirQuack #144100 08/02/06 01:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Take all of the following with a LARGE grain of salt...

>>1) First of all, am I correct in saying I want to leave some space behind the 703 and the wall, within the frame I build?

The space helps with bass trapping but I don't think it helps so much with absorbing higher frequencies. There was a chart somewhere with cutoff frequencies vs. thickness of 703-style fiberglass, will see if I can find it.

>>2) Also, do I want to use the FRK(scrim) on the side facing the room, or use regular 703 with no facing?

If you're talking about paper facing, I think that helps with bass trapping but reflects a lot of higher frequencies. For treating first reflections I would say "no facing".

Note that you probably want a ton of absorbtion (sp) on the left wall to balance off the fact that you have no right wall.

>>3) For those wall/ceiling treatments do most people use 2" thick or double up and use 4" thick 703?

I'm pretty sure 2" is enough for higher frequencies -- the question is whether it's worth putting more FG in there and getting more absorbtion in the lower frequencies.
I'm REALLY tempted to pick up that $150 ETF software package from Rives (also needs mic, cables and decent sound card) which indicates decay & resonances at all frequencies. That would shed a lot of light on what the room needed.

One common treatment for mixdown rooms seems to be what they call a "cloud" over the listening position, basically a big chunk of fluffy fiberglass near the ceiling with enough framing to look half-decent. Not sure if you have enough height to keep it out of the projector light cone though...

BTW I don't think bass traps at the bulkhead would be as effective as bass traps at the back wall/ceiling boundary.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144101 08/18/06 10:08 PM
OP Offline
Well I just got back from getting some more OC 703 Rigid Fiberglass panels and some 1 x 4's. Hope to start building some FRZ's tomorrow, and eventually some more column bass traps for the rear corners. Gotta consider the Wife Factor.

SirQuack #144102 08/22/06 04:03 AM
OP Offline
Just a quick update, I've got 3 of my FRZ (first reflection zone) panels built and installed in the correct locations on the side walls. I still need to hang 2-3 on the ceiling FRZ's as well, and then onto a few more bass traps for ceiling/wall corners and then rear column bass traps for the rear corners of the room.

I can't believe how much better the music sounds, just with the front wall superchunks and FRZs up so far. In the mids/high categories the clarity has improved greatly. I am no longer hearing the same sounds that were reflected off walls and coloring the overall sound. Percussion, Strings, etc...just sound crystal clear. My 60's sound better than I ever thought possible.

Ok, don't break out the tissues. I'll try to get some pictures up within the next week. I just wanted to let you know I'm amazed at what I'm hearing with my cd's....

talk to ya later.

SirQuack #144103 08/22/06 05:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds good Randy, I can't image how good some M80's would sound in your setup

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #144104 08/22/06 01:54 PM
OP Offline
My 60's sound better now than 80's with no bass traps or FRZ treatments.

SirQuack #144105 08/24/06 02:59 PM
local
local
Great read, thank you for sharing this.

I might of missed it in this thread, but what is your ceiling and floor like? Have you done anything to help reflections/absorptions there?

KC23 #144106 08/24/06 03:18 PM
OP Offline
My current project includes "first reflection" treatments on the side walls and ceiling locations. Then I can move on to finish a few more bass trap locations...

SirQuack #144107 08/24/06 08:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am a bit worried about my theatre room. If I order M60's, i have a 16 foot long room. I don't think I'll be able to place the speakers 3 feet from the front wall (1/5 distance) because there is a door to the left of the screen and I don't want people running the risk of kicking the speaker or anything when they come into the door.

Is there a minimum distance of placement from the front wall? Ideally 1 foot for me would be best..

I am kinda freaking out about all this acoustic stuff wondering If I screwed myself over when I designed the room before It was drywalled...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #144108 08/24/06 08:46 PM
OP Offline
My M60's are about 7-8" from my front wall, most people have them closer, 3ft seems to far. I would not worry about the acoustic stuff to much, I didnt' add my treatments until after everything was done either.

SirQuack #144109 08/24/06 08:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Geeze,

thanks for calming my fears. I have no idea whats wrong with me. I spend countless hours each day researching acoustics etc...I feel like I am loosing my mind with all the decisions that have to be made concering a theatre room.

My wife seems to think I am going crazy as well I feel much better that I don't need to be 3ft out! lol.

-Robb.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #144110 08/24/06 09:11 PM
OP Offline
YOu'll get there, don't worry...

Hutzal #144111 08/24/06 09:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No you don't need to worry about this. Mine are 1 foot from the front wall (the back of the speaker is 1 foot away I mean). I think the 1/5 guideline you are talking about is referring to the front of the speaker anyway. Sure the further away from the walls the better as far as wall reflections, but most of us have these types of limitations.

I am sure they will sound great to you, wherever you need to place them.

Last edited by dllewel; 08/24/06 09:18 PM.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Hutzal #144112 08/24/06 11:31 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Don't get too sucked in by the Golden Measurements thing. Just so you can leave enough space behind the speakers for the ports to breathe, you'll be fine.

It's supposed to be FUN, remember?

tomtuttle #144113 08/25/06 01:28 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Quote:

It's supposed to be FUN, remember?

Ain't that the damn truth.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #144114 08/25/06 04:55 AM
veteran
veteran
People with OCD find fun in perfection.

DrunkenWolf #144115 08/25/06 02:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thankfully I do not have OCD

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #144116 08/25/06 05:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I spend countless hours each day researching acoustics etc...I feel like I am loosing my mind with all the decisions that have to be made concering a theatre room

>>Thankfully I do not have OCD

That's good to know

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144117 08/25/06 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hahah...really...i don't...

You guys all know how it was when you first started looking at this home theatre stuff. I want to know everything there is to know before I start purchasing things ya know? There is a wealth of information on the internet, it can get quite overwhelming.

-Robb.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #144118 08/25/06 08:48 PM
veteran
veteran
Yeah, it's annoying-you think you've figured it all out and then you realize that you just peeled away another layer of the HT onion. Sure, get your acoustics perfect and your room to a 'magic' size, but then you'll need computer software to calculate exactly where the speakers and couches should be placed to avoid any acoustic anomolies in the listening area.

Oh, and before I started my quest for making a 'WOW' home theater, I had never found something that triggered my latent OCD.

Last edited by DrunkenWolf; 08/25/06 08:52 PM.
DrunkenWolf #144119 08/25/06 08:54 PM
OP Offline
38% back from the front wall is the best 1st choice, followed by 38% from the back wall as a good 2nd choice. 50% is about as bad as being right up to the back wall, however, some people just don't have any options.

DrunkenWolf #144120 08/25/06 11:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Oh, and before I started my quest for making a 'WOW' home theater, I had never found something that triggered my latent OCD.

Same here. If Hilary Clinton ends up as President I imagine do-it-yourself home theaters will be banned as a mental health risk.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144121 08/26/06 02:04 AM
OP Offline
John, if that happens I will move to Ontario and go to work for Axiom, that is if they would take me. That would be worse then if one of the main 3 automakers ever goes under.

Hutzal #144122 08/26/06 04:51 AM
Quote:

Thankfully I do not have OCD

Neither do I. Neither do I. Neither do I.

SirQuack #144123 09/05/06 12:52 AM
OP Offline
Wanted to show you some recent pictures I have on my website. These include the recent "front reflection zone" panels I've built for the ceilings/walls.

John, I plan to create a page on my website showing the construction of these panels, just have not got around to it yet.

Enjoy.

SirQuack #144124 09/05/06 01:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Very nice looking room, Randy! Wow!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #144125 09/05/06 03:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Wow Randy, your theater is really looking awesome buddy! I'll be looking forward to seeing the construction process added to your website. If it's not hard and is cheaper then GIK's panels, I might have to give it a try.

SirQuack #144126 09/05/06 05:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Randy, that *really* worked out well. Ignoring the impact on sound quality (which is probably significant) the treatments sure make the room look good. Congratulations !!

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
SirQuack #144127 09/05/06 01:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Awsome room man...I am planning on having a drop ceiling in my theatre, otherwise I would be putting those pannels on my ceiling as well!

Your theatre is looking great man!

-Robb.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
SirQuack #144128 09/05/06 08:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Randy,

Looks great, dude!

BTW, you planning your own Mega Movie Marathon so that you have to put in a tent to catch few Z's in?

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
SirQuack #144129 09/05/06 08:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have another question regarding those bass traps.

I have a 14 x 16 room and the back of the room there are no doors anywhere (door is at the front of the room). I am going to be mounting my QS8's on the side walls. I don't have alot of room to work with (16 ft long room) So I was wondering if 1 foot wide bass traps would be as effective? It IS a smaller room after all. I don't want to mount my QS8's more than 1 foot from the back wall due to seating restraints.

Will 1ft wide mini bass traps be effective?

-Robb.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
SirQuack #144130 09/05/06 08:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Looking mighty darn fine and dandy Randy ... actually darned awesome, I love the look and I'm betting the sound is just as awesome to boot!

I just ordered some panels and a couple more tri-traps from GIK this morning, man I've retired my hammer and nail apron after these last couple of years slaving on our house. Can't do the DIY at the moment.

Rick
Our Room

smile
WhatFurrer #144131 09/05/06 09:12 PM
OP Offline
Quote:

BTW, you planning your own Mega Movie Marathon so that you have to put in a tent to catch few Z's in?

Funny, actually the tent is for the kids, they like laying in there and watching movies while the adults get to use the couch or recliners.

Hutzal #144132 09/05/06 09:21 PM
OP Offline
Quote:

Will 1ft wide mini bass traps be effective?
-Robb.

Hey Robb,

Some bass traps is better than no bass traps. The easiest method is to use 2'x4' panels with at least 4" of good absorbtion material stradeling the corners, floor to ceiling if possible, but not required. For my rear walls, I'm also considering making some columns, versus superchunks or stradeling using panels. This is to make my wife happy. I will still use the Owens Corning 703 which comes in 2' x 4' x 2" thick sheets. If I cut it down the middle lengthwise, I'll have 1' x 4' x 2" sheets. Then if I stack the sheets up in a prebuilt frame I'll have a 12" wide x 6" or 8" thick column in each corner.

So to answer your question, yes, it will work, depending on how thick you make the material, the thicker the better. Some use acoustical cotton, which works well also. Bryan from GIK and Sensible Solutions has an online website for the type of material to look for.. http://www.sensiblesoundsolutions.com

SirQuack #144133 09/05/06 10:15 PM
OP Offline
Ok, since John Bridgman has been begging like a little puppy wanting a bone, for me to show the construction steps of my DIY FRZ panels, here we go...

First of all I would like to thank our fellow Axiom member "mrnomas" from audioholics as I used his DIY instructions to get me motivated.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/DIYabsorbersacoustics.php

Keep in mind, these panels below are for FRZ's (first refection zones) not bass trapping. Although, they do absorb some low frequencies, the 2" thick material is more geared towards mid/high absorbtion. Treating FRZ's has dramatically improved the clarity of the music and pretty muched zapped any echo of the same signals reaching your ears at the same time.

OK, before I get started, I want you to realize that my wife noticed I was working on top of my recently re-felted pool table. Since I had many tools, including scissors, she thought I better place something on the pooltable. So that explains the tiger blanket underneath on the pictures.

This first picture shows the owens corning 703 rigid fiberglass board next to the frames I built. I just went to Menards and got the cheapest/straightest 1x4's I could find. Now that they are all finished, next time I might have spent a little more money to get the better quality boards, as a few of mine ended up being slightly warped.

Luckily, I used those on the ceiling locations, which are hanging down a few inches using wires/hooks. You can't really tell they are warped. The wall panels were perfectly straight, so I just hung them using some picture wire/hooks, etc...

I pretty much cut the longer boards exactly 4ft, and one of the end boards exactly 2ft + the thickness of the boards. I then went ahead and pre-drilled and screwed them togethor, around the panel. The final 2ft piece I cut just slightly shorter, to help hold the 703 in place. I then added a board across the back for extra support, but I don't think it was required.

The OC 703 is a great product to work with. For the most part, as long as it is not disturbed, the fiberglass particles will stay in tact. However, most people like to cover it with white batting or muslin cloth. I used white muslin from Walmart. I precut the pieces, and then used a putty knife to tuck the material nicely around the 703.

Once, I had the white muslin on the front/back of the panels, it was time to attach the black material around the front of the panel. I found some black polyester material at Walmart that had some stretch to it, and one side looked almost like speaker grill cloth.

The key here is you don't want a material that will reflect the mid/highs. Bass will pass pretty much through anything, but mids/highs can easily be reflected if you use the wrong material. If you can breath/blow through the material easily then you should be fine. Just don't use something shinny or reflective looking.

Here is a picture of the material that I precut laying under the panel. I made sure that I took the stretch into consideration before cutting the material. Next, I started on one side and stapled 4-6 staples about 2" apart. I also doubled up the edge of the material for extra support.

I then moved to the opposite side and repeated the process, then the ends, etc.. As I moved around the frame and pulled the material to staple, the front side became nice and flat and tight.

Here is a picture of how it looks once all stapled. The hardest part was figuring out how to make the corners look nice. After a few attempts, it was pretty simple. Basically, I had to trim a little excess material off, tuck one side under the other side, then take the outer piece and pull it around the back and staple.

If you scroll above a few posts, you will see some pictures I posted yesterday of the finished products in my HT. My next step is to build some more BASS traps for the ceiling/wall locations and then some rear wall columns.

ps: Bridgman, yes I will have some graphs asap.

Hutzal #144134 09/06/06 01:40 PM
veteran
veteran
Incredible work Randy. I really admire the ability to research, build, install and get it past the "significant-other" when it comes to puting audio enhancements in your living space. The negotiations can be the hard part!

"Never, never, never give up "... Winston Churchill
cgrface #144135 09/06/06 05:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Randy, nice job!

What did you use to hang the panels from the ceiling, eye hooks? How difficult was it to hang them (getting them tight up there and seeing what you are doing)?

Your room really looks nice and I'm sure sounds as good or better than it looks

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #144136 09/06/06 06:25 PM
OP Offline
I can't believe the sound Dave, before it was awesome as you would expect from Axiom, but it really is much better. I can distinguish the vocals/instruments on the various stage locations now.

In regards to the panels on the ceiling, I used hooks in the ceiling similar to what you would use to hang a plant. I placed eye hooks at each end of the back of the framing and used picture frame wire at each end of the panels with a little slack in them, so they hung a few inches below the ceiling.

SirQuack #144137 09/06/06 07:49 PM
old hand
old hand
Good job Randy. They look very well done. And your theater is to be admired (envied). Watch how many people will now enter your theater and point at the treatments and say, "Are those speakers?" completely ignoring the actual speakers in the room.

Professional Axiom Lurker
mrnomas #144138 09/06/06 08:24 PM
OP Offline
It has already happened. My wife thinks I should rename the theater to the Monolith Theater from 2001 A Space Odyssey.

SirQuack #144139 09/07/06 01:36 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Party at Randy's House!

Looks great, buddy. Very inspiring.

SirQuack #144140 09/11/06 03:46 AM
OP Offline
Ok, some more graphs. I was going to combine everything into one graph as I did earlier in this thread, but it was getting hard to distinguish between each one. So, here are three graphs: no treatments, front wall superchunks, and supers with ceiling/side wall first reflection panels.

I'm a little confused why it appears my lower bass numbers seemed to improve in the second graph, but have risen slightly in the third graph. I have toed in my mains a little more, and it is possible my sub dB might have been bumped up a dB or so in calibration, not sure.

Anyway, it does appear the higher bass frequencies have improved even more since adding my 6 first reflection panels.

SirQuack #144141 09/11/06 04:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Can I try to talk you into combining the graphs anyways, maybe with different colours for each situation ? I'm trying to look at them together but it's kinda hard on the eyes

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144142 09/11/06 01:53 PM
OP Offline
John, I can combine onto one graph tonight when I get home. The first graph earlier in the thread comparing "no treatments" to "superchunks" looked good with Red and Blue, but when I tried to throw a 3rd color in the equation the lines intersected and it was hard to make them out. Maybe if I change the X/Y settings to make is easier to read, I'll see what I can do...

SirQuack #144143 09/11/06 06:50 PM
Yeah, it gets kinda busy with all three datasets on the same graph...

(The "Darken" blending mode and the "Replace Color" feature in Photoshop make quick work of superimposing charts of the same scale )

From what I can see, your most recent tweaks result in the best curve. The dip at 145Hz has been brought up by 8dB. The dips at 175Hz abd 196Hz have also been greatly improved. The unfortunate part is that the treatments don't seem to be doing much for your peaks.

Last edited by pmbuko; 09/11/06 06:57 PM.
pmbuko #144144 09/11/06 07:09 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Peter,

For those peaks, other than the superchunks in the front corner, I have done nothing else for bass trapping. The first reflection panels are more geared for mid/hi freq's. I still have plans to incorporate more bass traps to handle the lower frequencies.

I do like the improvements from about 160 and higher, represented by the red line in your masterpiece.

bridgman #144145 09/12/06 12:34 AM
OP Offline
OK, here is my combined graph. What do you think?

SirQuack #144146 09/12/06 02:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>> What do you think?

Patriotic!

That 35-40 Hz range sure took a swing in the opposite direction...why would that happen?

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #144147 09/12/06 03:15 AM
OP Offline
Ya got me Rick? I was pretty pleased to see the improvements in those lower numbers after just adding the front superchunks. Seems now that it is similar to my original readings. There is good improvement in the higher frequencies.

I think my sub placement may be not ideal, and I've always struggled to understand where to put the 500. Also, I think I had it running a bit hot, again, not sure where it should be when calibrating with SPL meters. I usually put everything at 75dB using the test tones on the AVR.

SirQuack #144148 09/12/06 04:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Is there any chance you have a bunch of things "two feet from the wall", specifically the M60s ? Only guessing, but the dip around 140-150 Hz corresponds to cancellation from being "just under two feet" from a wall.

I don't really know where to start, other than to say that it's probably mains rather than sub at that frequency, and that measuring from the fronts of the mains is probably the right thing to do.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
SirQuack #144149 09/12/06 07:05 AM
Well Randy, I'm suitably dizzy from looking at all the response curves and trying to equate the four or so different room effects with them. The most prominent features are still the dips around 140-150Hz(wavelength about 8') and 240-250Hz(wavelength about 5'). At those frequencies the sub shouldn't have a significant cancellation effect on the mains, so the likely problem is main driver cone to room surface distance of about .25 to .30 wavelength. Following up on John B.'s reply, it appears that your M60 cone centers are about 7"+15"+4"=26" from the wall behind, so that would fall into the quarter-wavelength area around 140Hz. It might be interesting to see if moving them out at least a foot farther had a significant effect on the frequency of the lower dip. As to the higher frequency dip, possibly the floor? Get rid of it!

Of some interest relating to the alternative(or realistically, complementary)electronic room equalization process is the article by Mark Sanfilipo in Audioholics. This appears to be by far the most thorough analysis(the math doesn't necessarily have to be studied)of the Audyssey system used in some Denons and Onkyos, and explains some of the difficulties in getting good results. The graphs are interesting.

JohnK #144150 09/12/06 12:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite

NERRRRRRDS!!!

JohnK #144151 09/12/06 01:55 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Johns

Well if you look at the white line, you can see there has been some improvement in those 140hz and 240hz dips.

The 145hz dip has gone from 52dB to 56dB to now 60dB, so an overall improvement of 8dB from when I had no treatments.

The 240ish hz dip has gone from 53dB to 63dB to 70dB which is a great improvement.

And the 250hz dip which started showing up after I added Superchunks, is now at about 70dB as well.

To me the overall results from about 160hz to 300hz have improved a lot and are much narrower than the two previous results, everything contained within about 12dB.

On the lower end, I think I need to work on my sub placement and calibration. I had my crossover on 80hz, so the mains would not have contributed to the results getting worse after my second graph, which showed much improvement in the 40hz and 55hz peaks.

You can see from my picture where I have the speakers. I already have the panels in place for first reflections, so I really don't want to move the mains much as they are imaging great. However, the sub can be moved. Also, I still have some more 703 to finish some more corner bass traps, which should help on the low end.

SirQuack #144152 09/12/06 05:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wait wait wait...

You've spent how much time and money on that (gorgeous) setup but you won't entertain the notion of moving the mains?

Don't MAKE me come over there....

Do you actually listen to any music anymore, or just make graphs?

My favourite way to encounter nuts is in a chocolate chip cookie.

Randy, I've learned a lot from you. Thank you very much for documenting your adventures.

tomtuttle #144153 09/12/06 06:13 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Tom.

Prior to starting down the venture of treatments, my mains/sub have been placed in a variety of locations. Keep in mind, I am limited as I can't go in front of the screen, and the stage is only so deep. Right now the sound is amazing compared to no treatments, everything is much clearer and better clarity. I know some people think this is another "snake oil" topic, but I am not one of them, my ears tell me that much. There is also plenty of research to back treating a HT/Recording room properly.

I hate when I encounter a raison in a chocolate chip cookie, even though I like raisons, it just ain't right.

medic8r #144154 09/12/06 06:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

NERRRRRRDS!!!

Lost it laughing ...good one man!

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
SirQuack #144155 09/12/06 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry, we're saying "move the mains temporarily so we can confirm their placement is the cause of your 145 Hz dip", not "move the mains and invalidate all of the other work you have done".

There are other options for fixing the dips, but you need to know the cause first.

I share your sense of horror at the idea of mucking everything up again and having to start over

Last edited by bridgman; 09/12/06 08:01 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144156 09/12/06 09:44 PM
OP Offline
Thanks John,

I'm sure things will improve more if I ever get more bass traps. In reality, I should have completed them first, and then worried about first reflections later. Oh well, I guess that is why my wife thinks I have A.D.D.

bridgman #144157 09/12/06 09:53 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Who is "we"? Are we amused?

John, if rearranging Randy's room "horrifies" you, I think you need to see more and larger spiders.

Really, Randy, I'd just start over. John's just shining you on. You'll NEVER be able to tame those two enormous frequency chasms in that room, no matter what you try. And - now that you have quantified the defects - you'll never be able to REALLY enjoy it anyway. I mean seriously, aren't you going to be constantly listening for those giant suck-outs at 145 and 240 Hz? I certainly would be.

You know the family and I were planning on a big visit to Iowa next spring to spend time with you, but since I am SO susceptible to discrepancies in the 120-150Hz range and you are obviously unwilling and/or unable to actually show some sensitivity to my plight, I think we better just call the whole thing off.

Pity.

"Enjoy the music, not the big, oddly-shaped black things"

tomtuttle #144158 09/13/06 01:48 AM
OP Offline
You know your welcome anytime I can talk my wife into it. ha ha

I'm sure the kids and wifes would get along great while you and I run down to a few pubs.

Don't worry, I'll have that freq response as flat as Colorado by the time you show up.

tomtuttle #144159 09/13/06 02:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>You know the family and I were planning on a big visit to Iowa next spring to spend time with you, but since I am SO susceptible to discrepancies in the 120-150Hz range and you are obviously unwilling and/or unable to actually show some sensitivity to my plight, I think we better just call the whole thing off.

Speaking of "are we amused", you just made me blow tequila out my nose. I hope you are happy

Seriously, I don't think this is so bad. All kinds of high quality audio systems <Bose> have big dips in this frequency range and people are really happy with them...

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144160 09/13/06 03:06 AM
OP Offline
Something just popped into my head, isn't there some RS Meter corrections or something like that, wouldn't that change my results?

SirQuack #144161 09/13/06 03:49 AM
OP Offline
OK, I think I found them for the latest analog meter on Home Theater Shack, providers of RoomEQ Wizzard software. Appears, it might help a little in the 20-40hz range, other than that it is pretty close.

20 -3.25
21 -3.15
22 -3
23 -2.9
24 -2.8
25 -2.65
26 -2.58
27 -2.45
28 -2.25
29 -2.09
30 -2.01
31 -1.91
32 -1.8
33 -1.71
34 -1.55
35 -1.4
36 -1.27
37 -1.15
38 -1.07
39 -1
40 -0.98
41 -0.93
42 -0.86
43 -0.75
44 -0.69
45 -0.63
46 -0.59
47 -0.55
48 -0.5
49 -0.49
50 -0.46
51 -0.46
52 -0.45
53 -0.46
54 -0.47
55 -0.47
56 -0.48
57 -0.49
58 -0.5
59 -0.51
60 -0.53
61 -0.55
62 -0.57
63 -0.59
64 -0.61
65 -0.63
66 -0.65
67 -0.67
68 -0.68
69 -0.72
70 -0.75
71 -0.77
72 -0.79
73 -0.79
74 -0.8
75 -0.82
76 -0.83
77 -0.84
78 -0.86
79 -0.85
80 -0.86
81 -0.87
82 -0.88
83 -0.91
84 -0.94
85 -0.94
86 -0.93
87 -0.92
88 -0.92
89 -0.91
90 -0.9
91 -0.89
92 -0.88
93 -0.87
94 -0.86
95 -0.85
96 -0.84
97 -0.83
98 -0.83
99 -0.82
100 -0.82
101 -0.81
102 -0.8
103 -0.78
104 -0.76
105 -0.73

SirQuack #144162 09/13/06 05:35 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Randy, you're the best. We're going to have a good time one day.

But, you know, the Rocky Mountains run through Colorado, right? How about as-flat-as-Kansas?

John, NOTHING makes me happier than getting you to shoot tequila out your nose. But JP is trying to help me out.

Randy, thanks for the rows and columns. I don't get quite enough of that at work, so I appreciate you inserting data tables into my leisure time.

SirQuack #144163 09/13/06 10:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Randall ... how tall is your ceiling? In the awesome pictures it looks very tall but I thought yours was a basement system? If I haven't already said it, man your room and color combination is extremely nice!

Rick
Our Room

smile
SirQuack #144164 09/13/06 12:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The Rives test cd is also pre-corrected for the RS meter, which is nice. I don't think it works very well though -- the CD has been sitting shrink-wrapped on an M60 for two weeks now and my system doesn't sound *any* better.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/13/06 12:14 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
RickF #144165 09/13/06 01:48 PM
OP Offline
Rick, the ceiling is 9ft 2" tall, and yes it is our basement HT/Recroom area. If you look at the pictures, the screen area is set back about 6ft from the rest of the room. You can see on the right side where the AV equipment is, how it then blends into the larger room, which is 900 Sq Ft. overall.

Tom, when I said "Flat as Colorado" I was being sarcastic, , meaning I most likely will never get a flat chart no matter how hard I use Access and export/import data.

SirQuack #144166 09/13/06 08:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Isn't that a pretty tall ceiling height for a basement? Forgive me if I sound stupid but basements are completely non-existent down here in south Florida.

I did some manual graphing today using the Rives CD and charts and although crude compared to Randy's presentation, I'm curious what you fellas gather from this chicken scratch ... that is, if you are able to read it.

Bass Traps without any acoustic panels...

Bass Traps with 2 acoustic panels in the first reflection point on the sidewalls...

Wow, scanning, picture posting ... SPELLCHECK! I'm beginning to feel like a real computer wiz.

Rick
Our Room

smile
bridgman #144167 09/13/06 09:31 PM
Quote:

the CD has been sitting shrink-wrapped on an M60 for two weeks now and my system doesn't sound *any* better.

Jeeesh, John....
I thought you knew that the Rives sounds best with the green marker.....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #144168 09/14/06 05:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey! Mark's Back!

tomtuttle #144169 09/14/06 05:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
WHERE?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
RickF #144170 09/14/06 08:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

I did some manual graphing today using the Rives CD and charts and although crude compared to Randy's presentation, I'm curious what you fellas gather from this chicken scratch ... that is, if you are able to read it.

It looks like you have some "suck-out" at the lower frequencies - 25-40. From feedback I received based on my graphs, the suck-out can be addressed in two ways: 1) your sub may be out of phase or 2) you may be running the sub a little hot - try adjusting the sub volume a bit lower. I went with option 2) a the smallest adjustment in volume made a huge difference.

royce73 #144171 09/14/06 10:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yep, something is funny there. What crossover frequencies are you using, and are you running mains as Large or Small ?

Are you using the sub crossover as well or is it bypassed ?

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144172 09/15/06 12:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
John, all crossover is set to 80, main speakers are set to small and the sub is set to bypass.

I'll double check the settings tomorrow though.

Rick
Our Room

smile
royce73 #144173 09/15/06 12:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Royce, thanks for the valuable information and I'll give the RealTraps CD a try ... I did adjust the volume and hopefully if work does not get in the way during the next few days I'll have a couple of more graphs for you to examine. If you do not mind.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #144174 09/15/06 02:53 AM
OP Offline
I wonder if I'm not running to hot either. Heck, I've got the EP500 set around 7 o'clock and with the Denon mic setup, that put my AVR for the sub at -5dB's. For some reason I always end up turning it up, but probably don't need to. I'm sure my phase is messed up also, and most likely the position of my sub.

I've been playing around the Home Theater Shacks "Room EQ Wizzard". Man for a free download this tool is pretty cool if you have a laptop/pc with sound card. You hook the RS meter up to it, place in position and do various calibrations to your hearts content. I'm thinking about doing some various sweeps for the sub in the 100hz and lower categories from various positions to find the flattest results. I'll be out in Vegas at an IT conference Sunday to Wednesday, hope some of you will be there as well.

RickF #144175 09/15/06 02:56 AM
veteran
veteran
I would love to help. In the meantime, see my before and after graphs for reference.

SirQuack #144176 09/19/06 08:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Randy I ended up relocating our sub woofer from the front wall to the left mid sidewall location...made all the difference in the world and my ears along with a couple of quick graphs are proving it. After months of being bewildered by this 600 by George I do believe we've finally nailed it.

Probably the one biggest difference (besides sounding unbelievable) is that I'm finding that I no longer have an urge to turn up the juice on the sub to mentally make up for the lack of missing LFEs and sonics. What ticks me off is that whenever I placed the sub in the listening position and did the crawl I did find the left mid sidewall location sounded best but didn't believe it was *enough* of a difference to constitute moving it from the front wall...was I ever wrong! Another little item that ticks me off is that Jakeman has been telling me all along to "try a mid sidewall location" and I didn't listen.

I believe that makes Royce, Jakeman and myself with mid sidewall sub placement. I wonder if anybody else has theirs placed in that location?

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #144177 09/19/06 11:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I *would* have my sub placed mid-sidwall months ago but the cable is only a few feet long so I'm gonna have to move the electronics first

Last edited by bridgman; 09/19/06 11:50 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
royce73 #144178 09/21/06 12:33 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I got tired of waiting for somebody to post something else meaningful in this thread so that I could swoop in with post #100.

99 posts about fiberglass on the wall, 99 posts about fiberglass...

tomtuttle #144179 09/21/06 01:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The posts are numbered ?

EDIT -- oh, I see. On the forum page.

This post is dedicated to Tom, who made it all possible.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/21/06 01:21 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144180 09/21/06 02:51 AM
Indeed, Tom had now made at least three things possible.

bridgman #144181 10/15/06 02:03 PM
OP Offline
Ethan just released his new Windows based versions of "ModeCalc" and "Frequency/Distance" calculators, which are much nicer than the old DOS based ones, and offer a few new enhancements..

http://www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm

http://www.realtraps.com/sbirlbir.htm

enjoy

SirQuack #144182 10/31/06 02:54 AM
OP Offline
I'm at it again... I've been experimenting with "RoomEQ Wizzard" which is a freedownload on HomeTheaterShack's website. If you have a half way decent sound card in your computer that is full duplex (can play/record at the same time) this product is cool. It compensates for the Radio Shack Calibration errors, and sound card measurements.

The blue line is my target of 75dB's, the black line is the RS calibration adjustment, and the dotted line is the sound card measurement..I'm still learning what it all means...

SirQuack #144183 10/31/06 03:36 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It looks like you have a nasty suckout between 43-50hz with a 20db drop from 40hz and a not so nasty one at 75hz. Not good. Maybe its time to try that sidewall placement nearfield your seats and then rerun the REW.

John
jakeman #144184 11/14/06 08:22 PM
OP Offline
Well Jakeman, I've been busy, but had time to play with this stuff a bit recently. I tried placing the sub on the left wall about 6 ft back from the stage, the results were not much different than what I had before. I did move the sub around on my stage from left to right, and now have it near my left speaker again. I also flipped the phase switch to 180 which made a difference in the graph. Also, I moved my left/right speakers back towards the wall an inch and reduced the toe angle so it was not as severe. This seemed to help the freq's on the high end. I'm still new to this Room EQ software, but heck it is free and fun to play with. Below are my 1st graph and most recent 2nd graph.

What do you all think, besides that I'm crazy.

SirQuack #144185 11/15/06 03:17 AM
Randy, besides that you're crazy I think that the improvement of about 10dB in that dip around 47Hz is interesting. Was it after you changed the phase switch that it happened?

SirQuack #144186 11/15/06 03:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Looking good. This is the point where I would use an EQ to knock down the two remaining peaks, listen smugly, and occasionally mail anonymous room response plots to Mark.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
JohnK #144187 11/15/06 03:37 AM
OP Offline
Hi John,

I know the changes from 20-45hz was a result of my switching the phase switch. I believe this did help bring this dip upwards. But more than that change, I think moving my sub from the middle of the wall, closer to my left m60 really brought that up...

bridgman #144188 11/15/06 03:40 AM
OP Offline
Thanks John B.

Believe it or not, I still have 6 pieces of Owens Corning 703 that I plan to use for the rear corners of the room. I also may rearrange my ceiling panels, and use them for wall/ceiling corners.

Mark, you got your ears on good buddy.

bridgman #144189 11/15/06 05:48 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

listen smugly, and occasionally mail anonymous room response plots to Mark

LOL!

I think Mark actually likes Frequency Response Porn.

tomtuttle #181070 10/30/07 06:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Randy,

Do you think superchunks are more effective than 4" thick straddling bass traps?

My studio is in very big need of acoustic treatment, especially with bass traps...there are certain notes that the bass guitar plays that just resonate in my room so loud, you can't even hear the other music.

I got a quote for 6 sheets of OC 703 2' x 4' sheets for $180...I need to buy the bulk sheets, I am still ooking around for better quotes for the OC 703, I am just wondering why you went with superchunks vs straddling?

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #181110 10/30/07 11:17 PM
OP Offline
Hey Hut,

4" thick 703 will do a very very good job and use less material than filling the corners with triangles. I purchased 12 703's for around $120 locally.

I think you will be fine. The superchunks will do a bit better job, but most are satisfied with 4" or more panels.

SirQuack #181170 10/31/07 02:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
looks like I am getting ripped off, damn!

I need to find a better supplier.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #181173 10/31/07 02:36 PM
OP Offline
Here you can get 6 for $69, but I'm sure that does not include shipping to Canada. \:\)

http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

SirQuack #181177 10/31/07 03:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am thinking more and more that I am going to go with Ready Acoustics for the OC 703 AND the bass trap bags that they supply. $30 for fabric for a 2 x 4 bass trap? Not bad...

Do you remember how much your frabric was for your two super chunks?

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082