Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Re: Cocktail anyone?
Ken.C #144761 08/06/06 08:38 PM
devotee
devotee
Woohoo, I done good! I'm glad the recipe met with approval. I've got two other drinks I'll share.

Hey Bridgman, since you liked my measurement system, I've got another recipe that utilizes it. And Ken, I think your wife my like it, especially with the little foo-foo addition at the end. This one is for a Painkiller. These are big in the Caribbean. Again, this is a great pitcher recipe, and just keep pouring it for the crowd. It sounds/looks sort of like a pina colada, but it is not a blender drink, and the OJ makes it different enough.

1 can of Cream of Coconut (here's a trick I use to get a smooth consistency: let the can sit (unopened) in really hot tap water for ~ 5 minutes, and shake it up periodically -- this will dissolve any of solid particles and ensure a smooth drink with no chunks!)
1 can of OJ
4 cans of Pineapple juice (or just use the entire std large can of pineapple juice, it's close enough)
2 cans of rum (use a dark rum so you get a little more flavor, or a 50/50 mix with light rum) I typically use Bacardi and/or Myers for more rum flavor. Save the Mount Gay for a rum and tonic, or straight up!

Mix it all up. It will separate as it sits around, so just stir it up as needed. Pour this over a full glass of ice.

These are smooth, go down easy, and can be dangerous. You won't be feeling any pain, hence the name! Here is the extra touch if you've got the time and/or inclination -- rim the glass with toasted coconut!

To do that, you throw some bag coconut onto a cookie sheet in a 350F oven for a few minutes (you've got to watch it, and shake it around after a couple of minutes). Put some honey in a small bowl and add a little water to thin. Put some of this on the rim of the glass, and then dip into a mound of the toasted coconut. It's a nice touch.

Second drink: a Cham-cham. Add an ounce of Chambord to a champagne glass, and top with your favorite bubbly. Nice summertime drink.

Tom, your drink sounded so good that I took the family to Costco to get the pomegranate juice today. Probably won't get to make it until later in the week, though. I'll let you know!

Rich

samandnoah #144762 08/07/06 01:50 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Dammmmm that sounds tasty! Sounds like a good one for the hot tub tonight!

Ever try Goslings rum? That’s my favorite. Got hooked on it when I spent a few weeks in Bermuda trying my hand at beach bum life. Seeing how you seem to like rum drinks, you ever try mixing them with ruby red grapefruit juice? It goes real well with rum if you ever get the itch to experiment. So does Gin.

I think I might just have to get drunk after all. Lots of really good drinks getting listed here. Hopefully more folks will add theirs…….

samandnoah #144763 08/07/06 01:53 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
So many wonderful ideas!

I had to chime in on the Margarita thing.

Personally, I've found that a 4-3-2 ratio is more to my liking than a 3-2-1. YMMV. The kicker for me is that I split the "3" into half triple sec and half Gran Gala (Cointreau or Gran Marnier would work just as well), and ONLY fresh lime juice, please. So....

4 oz decent tequila (I like the Sauza Reposado)
1.5 oz Triple Sec
1.5 oz Gran Gala
2 oz fresh lime juice

Shake and then serve on the rocks.

Nothing wrong with fruffy drink recipes. Give the girl a little toddy for her body.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #144764 08/07/06 03:21 AM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

4 oz decent tequila (I like the Sauza Reposado)
1.5 oz Triple Sec
1.5 oz Gran Gala
2 oz fresh lime juice

I like the way you think! That's more in line with how I like it. My experience is that lots of folks find that "too strong", but you can make me a margarita any time.

OK, we definitely need an Axiom get together in the US. I vote for doing it in TX, but I'm open to other locations. Everyone needs to bring a favorite recipe (can you tell I manage food and beverages at our house?) and a drink (or wine or beer) to go with that dish. I have found that to be a very successful formula for a fun party, and the Axiom family has always sounded like a fun crowd.

Rich

Ken.C #144765 08/07/06 03:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken, have you and your wife tried Midori? Midori is a bright green, sweet Japanese honeydew melon-flavored liqueur produced in Mexico by Suntory. My wife and I enjoy Midori sours. I make them thusly: put ice in cup, equal parts Midori and sweet and sour, and stir. At most local bars, a "Midori sour" usually includes some kind of fruit juice (orange, pineapple), but to both of us, it dilutes the drink way too much.

Another sweet classic that I like is the White Russian/mudslide: vodka, Bailey's Irish cream, and Kahlua coffee liqueur. I think they are in equal parts (I've not yet tried one at home, only at bars/restaurants). Applebee's has a great one (mudslide) served over/in vanilla ice cream. The alcohol taste is minimal, to me, and - hey - you get to eat ice cream! At some bars, I've had some white Russians that tasted like chocolate milk. Danger!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
michael_d #144766 08/07/06 04:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wikipedia is awesome. Here's a link to their list of cocktails. As of today, thanks to wikipedia, I have a new favorite cocktail name:

Adios Motherf---er

Can't wait to order one! ("Hey, Doc, whatcha havin'?" ...)

medic8r #144767 08/07/06 04:09 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Doc, sounds dangerous indeed.

Ken, a simple rum eggnog should be foofy enough for Jen.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

samandnoah #144768 08/07/06 04:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Rich!

I really like the sound of the Painkiller. I'm not so keen on the "creamy" drinks that JP mentioned, because they make my stomach hurt.

I have always loved the idea of an Axiom gathering, and long thought that the highest concentration of fun Axiomites in a decent climate is The Republic of Texas. I'm predisposed to spend time and money on such an opportunity.

Some time ago, I started to scale back the level of Cointreau I use in drinks. Perhaps it is just me (after all, different people have different levels of perception to certain compounds), but I've just found that the Brandy taste tends to be a bit overpowering. By using half Cointreau and half Triple Sec, I get a bit sweeter and more intense orange flavor, and save a little money in the bargain. Again, I use Gran Gala, because I think it is every bit as good as either Gran Marnier or Cointreau at about half the price, and it's Italian instead of French.

I'll offer the following, which is the product of the genius and time of a dear friend of mine:

Chris' Perfect Lemon Drop

3 oz good vodka
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz Lemoncello liqueur
1 tsp superfine sugar or to taste
Juice of one good lemon

Shake lustily. Strain into chilled martini glass.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #144769 08/07/06 06:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I'm not so keen on the "creamy" drinks that JP mentioned, because they make my stomach hurt.

So you can drink barleywines, Belgian beers, etc and an ice cream drink makes your stomach hurt? Methinks you live in Bizarroworld!

Is this a job for Lactaid?

medic8r #144770 08/07/06 07:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ken,
another "foofy" drink suggestion that your wife might appreciate if she likes milk-based - my friends and i found it a few years back at an annual music festival we used to attend. With three or four straight days of beer you start to look for a few "lighter" alternatives. It's called a Brown Squirrel as we know it:

1 ounce Creme de Cacao
1 ounce Amaretto
fill glass with milk and top with a marshino cherry or two
(you'll want ice too)

It seems every once in a while we get mixed up with these drinks as was the case this past Saturday. The alcohol is nearly impossible to taste and my good friend and i were successful in our goal to polish off a "26" of each type of booze in about 3 hours. Of course after only a couple each the mixes got pretty strong (read 2/3 booze per glass) and still only tasted like cherry milk. Made for a "memorable" evening!

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020