Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Why Denon Receivers?
SirQuack #144830 08/06/06 03:06 AM
D
buff
OP Offline
buff
D
Thanks to everyone for their input so far. I've already come to the conclusion that THX Select2 isn't a big deal to me, since it partly depends on whether a company chooses to pay for the certification process. I can see why some companies may not choose to pursue it for their midrange receivers, even if they might qualify. I've noticed, though, that everyone goes for the Ultra2 certification for their high-end receivers, but those are well out of my price range anyways.

The main feature I'm trying to decide on is whether I want/need the AV receiver to have video upscaling. While many DVD players have their own scalers, a significant portion of my media time will be spent video gaming, and the PS2 and GC only output at 480i/p. So, the Pioneers and Yamahas look appealing b/c they provide upscaling in the $1500ish price range, while Denons and HK's don't (as best as I can tell).

Quote:

Hey man, we need to talk about speakers for you, not AVRs.

Unfortunately, as I've mentioned in other threads, I'm in the process of building a house and probably about 9 months away from buying any speakers. So, I'm passing the time by trying to learn about different aspects of mid/high-end A/V equipment since I've never owned any. I've been reading a ton on this and other sites, though I post some of my questions here b/c some forums can be a little immature at times (without naming any acronyms ...)

In terms of speakers, I've narrowed my choice down to either Axioms or Rockets. From what I've read, I'm sure I'll really like both brands, but I'll have to wait until I can audition them in my own house. So, I can't contribute much to the speaker discussions since I don't own any good ones. It's also why I'm posting questions and starting threads, I hope it doesn't become too annoying.

dennisdxl32 #144831 08/06/06 03:30 AM
shareholder in the making
Dennis, possibly a major factor in the popularity of the Denons(not for Ken, though)is the challenge of attempting to actually put the provisions in the Denon manuals into effect. For those who appeciate such challenges, although most manufacturers attempt to supply it, it's generally recognized that Denon reigns supreme.

As to the upscaling, keep in mind that fixed pixel TV displays have to scale incoming material to fit their "native resolution". Unless the scaling done by a player or receiver is visibly better than that which the display itself does(no rule of thumb available), that feature in a player or receiver doesn't bring any real advantage in picture quality.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #144832 08/06/06 04:10 AM
D
buff
OP Offline
buff
D
JohnK, yeah, I was glad to find out that other's share this opinion about the Denon manuals. I tried downloading one off their website to figure out if the receiver had upscaling, and I thought I was just in over my head b/c I had trouble understanding it ...

The reason the Pioneer Elites are appealing is b/c a couple of them have the Faroudja scaler, which I've heard lots of good things about. While the projector I'm interested in, the Panasonic AE9000U, does have a built-in scaler, that feature isn't touted in any way, so I assumed it might not be as good as the Faroudja.

dennisdxl32 #144833 08/06/06 04:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I've narrowed my choice down to either Axioms or Rockets. From what I've read, I'm sure I'll really like both brands, but I'll have to wait until I can audition them in my own house.

Bingo. Note that the Axioms and Rockets do have somewhat different characteristic sounds, so people do tend to have fairly strong preferences for one or the other.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
dennisdxl32 #144834 08/06/06 02:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

In terms of speakers, I've narrowed my choice down to either Axioms or Rockets. From what I've read, I'm sure I'll really like both brands, but I'll have to wait until I can audition them in my own house.

And, auditioning them in your own home is precisely what you should do. As one who has owned both brands of speakers, I'd have to say you're in a win/win situation. Both are excellent companies with nice people and exemplary customer service, and both make quality products. You can't lose.

Many feel they have a noticeably different sonic signature. And, while I certainly don't disagree, it appears I simply am not that discriminating for both sound terrific to me. I could easily live with either. All you need do is decide which you prefer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
dennisdxl32 #144835 08/06/06 03:01 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I’m in agreement with Bug…

Knowing what I know today, which is very little actually, but still more than what I know three years ago, I’d stick with separates and keep the video processing out of the audio gear.

I’d look at the mid-fi lines such as Rotel, Nad and Parasound. I’d buy the pre amp / processor that fit my needs and then buy two amps. One five channel amp with around 50 watts / channel and one two channel amp with around 200 watts / channel. Or, buy a lower priced AVR with the bells / whistles I’m looking for and use an outboard two channel or three channel amp for the mains and center. The back and surround channels don’t need much, so the cheap AVR would probably drive them just fine. Some of the Yamies, Pioneers and HK’s would work just fine for this.

I’d also make sure that the pre/pro had NO video processing / switching and I’d put my money into a good external video processor. Within the next six months there will be many new video processors on the market as the big three chip manufactures are all running to release their new chips. No AVR, DVD player, TV, or Projector can compete with the stand alone VP’s. They all get second, third or fourth generation chips. Another good reason to wait and keep the video processing out of the AVR is that HDMI 1.3 is just now hitting the streets. 1.3 is the newest, latest greatest standard and with it comes with a lot improvements over 1.1. Some of the new VP’s already have it, but again, it’s still new so many do not.

michael_d #144836 08/07/06 10:40 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Denon - Axioms - Rockets. Sounds like an equation more profound than E-MC2. No downside at all.

As a Denonite (is that a word?), I had an 1803, and have a 1905 and 3803. While I agree with John's assessment (I always do ) about the Debnon manuals, they stop short of being life-threatening.

Once you sit down and take it in sips, you'll be OK. Otherwise, it's like drinking from a firehose. In general, they are robust, dependable and hve all the toys/tweaking you'll need. If you have a MX-850 remote, there is also a stunning array of commands that can be used.

Enjoy the hunt.

Ray3 #144837 08/08/06 12:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Otherwise, it's like drinking from a firehose.

A firehose I can handle. Try a couple hundred feet of the cheapest thinwall 1/4" tubing, dumped in a heap in a closet under a dripping sewer pipe for a couple of years, then offered to you after several attempts to untangle it just made the knots tighter...

... when what you really NEEDED was a firehose.

I really like Denon receivers, but the manuals are terrible.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Ray3 #144838 08/08/06 02:18 AM
Axiom and Denon sound a bit biological in the same sentence, reminiscent of axion and dendrite. BRAINS!!

Ray3 #144839 08/08/06 02:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess I could be called a Denonite also, I've got five pieces of equipment from them, the more expensive units seem to have the most confusing but still usable manuals, as far as build and performance goes, I couldn't ask for anything more, and I have never had the slightest problem with any of them. I would also have to agree with Ray that a good universal remote makes things much easier.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters