Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Equipment & cable feed
#146423 08/29/06 12:10 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Got the HT room figured out. Called my cable company (I only have 1 choice due to where I live) about upgrading to digital cable. Was told that the feed I am already receiving is digital, and the upgrade is really just a box that gives me the ability for pay per view, and premium channels. That being said, I wanted to upgrade to digital for a better picture than what I have now, and I was told that the quality I have won't get any better The Satellite TV is just too expensive for the number of TV's I have (8). I will pay as much for the extra boxes as I will for the service. To my questions!

1) In order to watch TV on my new H31 projector, I assume I need my VCR to act as the tuner? My VCR's aren't the newest, and only have connections via rca cables. Is my picture through the TV going to look worse at 106" than it does on my 36" Sony CRT? I may be able to squeeze a new VCR in on the Budget, but I would rather be able to buy the Oppo 971? DVD.

2) Since I don't have access to HD right now, will component connections be the best route, or should I be thinking digital connections? One reason is I have a Denon AVR 1400 receiver and a Yamaha 5960? (4 years old, came with a HT in a box) The Denon doesn't have any digital connections, where the Yamaha does. The Denon is Digital ready, where the Yamaha has a built in processor. My Panasonic DVD changer has a decoder. The Denon is connected to Paradigm center and Micros and sounds good to me. The Yamaha is connected to the crappy speakers it came with and sounds terrible. I guess I will A/B them if I have the patience to connect & reconnect, but as usual any opinions are welcome. And I don't have any budget left for a new receiver, so it is not an option.

3) I have 2 Yamaha powered sub-woofers. One is an 80 watt, the other I think is 50 or 60. (It came with the HT in a box) I was wondering if I would be able to hook them both up in the new theater room & how? I only have 1 sub out? Is my room, 13'8" x 14' 8" to small for two subs?

That's it for now.

Re: Equipment & cable feed
70chevelle #146424 08/29/06 01:34 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I am going to reply to my own question after a little research. The cable box for digital cable should be a tuner. I should see if I can get an HDMI connection from the box to the projector. Or I could get a Tivo, etc for the tuner. I would suspect that the VCR is the last thing I want to feed my TV signal through. I also need to purchase a good 8 feed splitter. (Any suggestions?) I found a few on the net, but you guys seem to have all the answers. Currently, I have a multitude of splitters that I added as I added tv's. I did some reading where the amplifiers were to be avoided, especially with cable internet? I will have cable internet when I upgrade to the digital cable. Thanks again, and sorry for being a newbee

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044