Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 68 of 260 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 259 260
Re: beer thread
#14106 12/03/04 09:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
ring- see now thats why you gotta see if you can get it in a keg! actually i think it's only in bottles, you might have to go online to get it. the place i go only gets a crate of about 20 at a time and honestly they dont sell a lot (which is good for me). only bad thing is it was like 12 bucks a bottle, but man is it worth it! (asuuming you like hops...)

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#14107 12/04/04 03:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Man, a keg of the 120 would be the death of me...

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#14108 12/04/04 10:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
**OK guys.. this is an ALL POINTS bulletin for help.**

i went out to liquor city this afternoon to get some rum for our company christmas party, and i decided to look for some of this great beer ya'll have been telling me about. low and behold, they had some. i was SO excited, i could hardly control myself(think kid in a candy store). anyway, i got the 2 that ya'll have been highly recommending. the 750ml Corsendonk Pale Ale, and the 750ml Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes Premiere. both cost me $7.25 each.

so here is my question.. i noticed that BOTH beers were the type with 'stuff' floating in the bottom. or, settled in the bottom as the case may be. so, when i drink these, am i supposed to 'swirl' it around, and get all the stuff off the bottom? or, am i supposed to pour it very slow, and make sure the stuff stays settled on the bottom? in my past, i havent cared for the beers that had the 'stuff' in the bottom, but i am open for something new. so, do i mix 'em up, or be gentle with them, and keep the stuff in the bottom. also, the bottles are corked. so, once you open it, can you recork it and put it back in the fridge, and how long will it stay good? i dont plan on leaving it in there for a long time or nothing, just curious. if its as good as ya'll keep saying, i dont suppose it will be in the bottle very long at all..

ringmir, spock, bigwill, peter, and tom. i am waiting on ya'll. you have the beer 'expertise' i need, and the information i am looking for. please help me out. i plan on drinking these while watching football tomorrow, so ASAP.

BTW- they also had some IPA's, but i will wait to try that. and they carry the beer Duval, but they were out. hopefully, they will have that next time.

**WAITING TO DRINK MY BEER**

BIGJOHN

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#14109 12/05/04 12:13 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
With any of the Belgian Ales you should pour them slowly attempting to leave the sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Preferably you will be using a tulip shaped glass. I know this sounds beer-snobbish but it really does make a difference. The Trappist ales flavor will improve as it warms, refrigerator temperature is too cold. Most dark heavy ales are best around 55 degrees, at that the temperature the flavor really opens up - it's quite amazing actually - how much an ale's flavor changes as it warms up. (BTW - you are in for a treat - I discovered Chimay in college when I was an employee at a liquor store that specialized in imported beers and Chimay remains one of my all time favorites to this day - because of it's price, about $12 for Grand Reserve around here, I save it for special occasions, like the day my Axiom M60s arrived.) ENJOY!!!

#14110 12/05/04 12:26 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
RE: "once you open it, can you recork it and put it back in the fridge, and how long will it stay good? "

Don't bother, drink the whole bottle - or share it with someone. Enjoy it while it's fresh. (But don't drink it too cold - a major sin.) A big bottle of Chimay packs a punch, so plan accordingly.

#14111 12/05/04 12:50 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I had a great Belgian find yesterday, an ale I'd never had before. I went to a grocery store I usually don't go to and I found 11 big 25.4 ounce bottles of Abbaye des Rocs "Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs" Burgandy Ale in the clearance bin for $3.99. Being familiar with the GREAT Chimay, I bought 2 bottles and tried one that same evening and WOW, what a great beer. I went back this morning and bought the remaining 9 bottles. Beer Nirvana.

#14112 12/05/04 02:32 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wow, bigjohn, you're out on the beer ledge! Careful!

I hope you enjoy those beers. They are wonderfully rich and complex. And strong.

I'd agree that there is really no point in trying to recork them.

I don't completely subscribe to fiberking's guidance about the sediment. I think it comes down to personal preference. All you've got there is yeast - that miraculous organism that makes beer and bread possible (thus sustaining life on the planet). It's good for you. It will cloud your beer somewhat, but will not impact the flavor any, if at all - unless you try to ingest ONLY the yeasty part.

I agree with the guidance about temperature and glass shape. Use a big wine glass if you have one.

I pour my first one-two glasses and then, when there is only about a half-inch of beer in the bottle, I swirl it mightily to make sure I get any remaining yeast in my last glass. I am convinced that the B vitamins in the yeast help me feel better and balance the effects of the alcohol. Plus, I figured I'm paying like $40/gallon for nectar from Belguim, and I damn well intend to get my money's worth.

At any rate, it should not dramatically alter your experience whether you get all or none of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Don't sweat it.

Let us know how you like them. I am very curious about your impressions!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#14113 12/05/04 03:24 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You know, Tom, sometimes I think you're really an ancient Egyptian. Their main staples were bread and beer, too!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#14114 12/05/04 04:01 AM
aficionado
aficionado
what you might want to do is get the bundled packs with a couple bottle and the accompanying beer. ive noticed recently that alot of belgians are doing this, especially around the holidays. ive gotten a corsendonk pack with abbey brown and abbey pale, a st. bernardus with aby 12,prior 8, pater 6 and tripel. and today i got a chimay pack with a red, white, and blue. so its really a great deal since you get outstanding beer plus the glasses with the logos on 'em. oh yeah, ive got Dominion's oak Barrel Stout; try it if you can get it!!

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#14115 12/05/04 01:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, I'm very late coming to this one but I generally agree with Tom. The yeast is very good for you (B vitamins), and if it's mixed in with even a small amount of beer you really won't taste it at all. I don't swirl it out at the end, but I just never worry about leaving it in the first place. Sometimes from the outside of the bottle it looks like there's more there than there really is. For whatever reason, as it settles sometimes it clings to the walls of the bottle and actually looks like there's a thick layer, when in fact there's a very thin layer that's just clinging to the glass (if that makes sense.)

As for recorking it... you can do it, if you really don't want to drink it all at once. Basically you just somewhat carefully force the cork back into the bottle. If you're going to leave it overnight I would recommend trying to stick the cork back in it. But, I wouldn't recommend leaving it overnight I drink those 750 ml bottles pretty infrequently (as someone else here mentioned, because they're kinda pricey here) and so when I do, I like to get the full alcohol whallop all at once.

I hope you like them!

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Page 68 of 260 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 259 260

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters