Rate Thread
LCR inside an entertainment center
#147958 09/19/06 11:34 PM
W
Wyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hi All.

I'll be buying a complete HT system in a few months - 50" plasma, AVR, 5.1 speakers. The sub and surrounds are not a problem, but the LCR speakers will have to go in an entertainment center which I will design and build. The basic configuration is like this one

http://www.diamondcase.com/Custom/Custom_Examples/Barlow_Photo.jpg

The center speaker will likely go above the TV and the VP150 would work fine.

The surrounds present a problem. They will have to go on the shelves roughly level with the display. This limits my choices in speakers since most bookshelf speakers are intended to go on stands and have space behind and to the sides. This won't be an option for me. I am considering W3s for the LR speakers but am not sure how best to mount them. I can build a false wall (instead of open shelves) on either side of the display to mount the speakers to as if it was a wall. Does this make sense?

Re: LCR inside an entertainment center
Wyatt #147959 09/20/06 02:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Wyatt,

Rather than build a false wall for the W3s, which would be feasible, can you not make the entertainmnent center a bit less wide and put the W3s into the wall on either side of the entertainment center? The W3s do not have to be parallel with the front face of the center.

Are you intending to mount the surround speakers on shelves in the EC at the front? There's no point to that. You might as well listen in stereo except for the center channel. Ideally, the surrounds go on the side walls, above ear level (like in a cinema) roughly even with or a bit behind your listening area. Or you could hang a pair of QS8s or QS4s from the ceiling using the Axiom ceiling bracket. The multi-directional QS8s and 4s are forgiving enough that you could try one at the side and one at the rear. Or try both at the rear. You could also use Axiom W2s as surrounds in the wall at the sides or the rear.

If you have open shelves in the EC, you could also consider M3s or M22s on an open shelf, protruding a bit from the edge to avoid boundary effects from the adjacent shelving and surfaces.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Wyatt #147960 09/20/06 03:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

The surrounds present a problem. They will have to go on the shelves roughly level with the display. This limits my choices in speakers since most bookshelf speakers are intended to go on stands and have space behind and to the sides. This won't be an option for me. I am considering W3s for the LR speakers but am not sure how best to mount them. I can build a false wall (instead of open shelves) on either side of the display to mount the speakers to as if it was a wall. Does this make sense?

I think you mean the L/R mains. As Alan pointed out M3s would work well. I use 2 as centers with no issues.

bugbitten #147961 09/20/06 08:15 PM
W
Wyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Yes, I meant LCR in the cabinet, not surrounds. I probably could put the L&R on the walls, but I don't think swmbo would got for that. I'm not sure I see a problem with putting them in the cabinet with the drivers flush with the front. What I'm wondering though is whether the wall mounted units are expecting to be placed on a plane like a wall and are designed for those boundaries. If I put the drivers flush with the front, that boundary disapears since the speakers' sides will still be in a cabinet. In other words, the speakers are designed for defraction on the edges of the front baffle, the physics change when they are put in a cabinet.

The M series is not an option as they are rear ported. But I have found some manufactures with speakers designed to go into cabinets, with either no porting or front porting and crossovers designed to mitigate the effects of cabinet mounting on bass. I wonder if Axiom would be willing to build me a set of custom M22s

Another issue I have is that the surround will have to go on the rear wall and the couch is pushed up against same wall. I'd love to use QS4s but aren't they designed to go on the side walls? Ceiling mount is not an option. I'm not sure where to go with the surrounds.

Wyatt #147962 09/20/06 09:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
The M series does work in a cabinet as long as the back has breathing room. M3s are 9 inches deep so you need a shelf of 11-12 inches with the M3 set to the edge of the shelf.

QS4s and 8s will work on wall behind you.

Last edited by bugbitten; 09/20/06 09:47 PM.
Wyatt #147963 09/20/06 09:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

If I put the drivers flush with the front, that boundary disapears since the speakers' sides will still be in a cabinet. In other words, the speakers are designed for defraction on the edges of the front baffle, the physics change when they are put in a cabinet.

I'm not sure I understand your intent, but if you mean to place W series speakers in a cabinet, you'll run into a problem with the W2s, W3s, and W22s. They are meant to be mounted on a surface with the wood portion of the speaker extending beyond the wall. The reason is because they are ported on the bottom.

Quote:

I wonder if Axiom would be willing to build me a set of custom M22s

Probably not, but ask. The worst that could happen is they'd say no.

Quote:

Another issue I have is that the surround will have to go on the rear wall and the couch is pushed up against same wall. I'd love to use QS4s but aren't they designed to go on the side walls? Ceiling mount is not an option. I'm not sure where to go with the surrounds.

The QS series speakers are very forgiving when it comes to placement. There are a number of owners with seating against the back wall and QS series surrounds mounted on the back wall as well. Ideally, you want them from one to six feet above your head, and spread out along the back wall several feet from the listening area. They can be placed as close as 3 or 4 inches from the side wall. Experimenting with placement can help you find the spot that works best for you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #147964 09/21/06 12:04 AM
W
Wyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Since I'm building the EC, I can control the size of the enclosure and the placement of the speakers. How much clearance do I need below the speakers? The W3 is roughly 13" tall. Is 9" of clearance from the bottom of the speaker to the bottom of the shelf sufficient?

Since the speakers will mount on an insert that I put into the shelf space, I can even slope the insert below the speaker so the sound from the ports do not hit a right angle at the bottom of the shelf.

Wyatt #147965 09/21/06 01:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
9" should be enough.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16