Re: Yeh I know but please give recvr advice anyway
Shaken #148094 10/05/06 12:44 PM
L
laurien Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
L
Got my rosewood sample last week and loved it, so I ordered the Epic 60-500 set in that finish on Tuesday. Can't wait to get them! Still haven't bought a reciever yet, but thanks for the continuing advice. You would think in a city as large as Salt Lake I would have lots of opportunities to audition $1000 receivers but not having a lot of success there. And if I thought picking a reciever was difficult, that is easy compared to picking a universal remote... I am amazed that you can find $1000 models for something like this!! Anyone have any personal recommendations for these?

laurien #148095 10/05/06 02:08 PM
shareholder in the making
Quote:

And if I thought picking a reciever was difficult, that is easy compared to picking a universal remote...

Laurien:
I can't help much re: the receivers, but as far as remotes go, have you seen this? More info on the Logitech site here.

It's not cheap, but looks cool as hell and with the Harmony's normally being a good value, will probably compare to the top remotes out there for much less coin. It's not supposed to be out till next week, but if the reviews are positive, I might ask for one for Christmas as a totally unnecessary but very cool extravagance that's cheaper than a sports car!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #148096 10/05/06 07:17 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Do a forum search for MX-700 to live the Gospel of Ray3.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
MarkSJohnson #148097 10/05/06 07:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We have the Harmony 880 ($249) remote and to be quite honest I'm not so sure another Harmony remote would find it's way into our home's system. The software was somewhat of a pain, easy to navigate but difficult to get loaded into the remote without a whole heap of customer support and whenever we purchased our new TV the remote didn't acknowledge the TV so therefore the change required a couple of more calls to customer support. We've also had to replace the charging cradle (warranty from Logitec) and whenever the remote was working it would sometimes perform or omit sequence functions for the task at hand which required either going through the steps a time or two or using the components own remote. We ended up parking the remote and we're again back to having several remotes wondering about.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have pre-wired for a remote such as the hard wired Crestron ... I also hear the Marantz universal remotes are pretty good.

Rick
Our Room

smile
tomtuttle #148098 10/05/06 07:50 PM
devotee
devotee
I've had an MX-500 for a few years now. No PC programming, but it's great. It's not just an accessory - it's an integral component. If you can source an MX-700, I'm sure you'd be thrilled with it.

Last Christmas a friend received one of mid-priced Harmony remotes. It's quite nice too. I'd probably get one of those if I didn't have mine. You really don't have to spend a whole lot to get a good universal remote anymore.

There's much debate about the types of remotes: hard button, soft button, etc. The great thing about the MX remotes is the flexibility they offer. And fully backlit to boot!

It's great to box up all your original remotes and only use one.

laurien #148099 10/05/06 08:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've heard good things about the MX remotes, that they are easy and reliable. I have been using a Phillips Pronto Pro (TSU7000) and liked it. The Marantz touchscreen remotes are very similar (OEMs I think).

You have to be a little more patient in programming your remote with the PC, and using the touchscreen- but I like it. It gives you ultimate control.

What I enjoy most about my remote is the RF control (not having to worry about pointing the remote). Looks like the new Harmony supports that too with the optional RF base station.

Quote:

Got my rosewood sample last week and loved it, so I ordered the Epic 60-500 set in that finish on Tuesday.

Congrats on the speaker purchase. I'm definitely hoping that you can eventually post some pictures of the speakers. I would love to see how they look in that custom finish.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
laurien #148100 10/06/06 04:30 AM
L
laurien Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
L
I did see that new Harmony 1000 and that has got to be the geekie toy of the year. I'm inclined to go with traditional hard buttons, but that thing is so cool looking is does tempt you ;-)

I was thinking the Harmony 880 but virtually everywhere I looked people complained about the cradle. But the MX series has serious complaints about faulty units and poor customer support as well.

I will definitely post pictures of the new gear when it all gets here. I am hoping it is a Halloween present but that is probably pushing it.

-Laurie

laurien #148101 10/06/06 02:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Heya,
I'm no audio expert but I like to help where I can. For a remote you might also check out the URC lineup. I have a URC 300 and I really enjoy the touch LCD screen although I realize it's not for everybody.

I found my old Harmony just wasnn't doing everything I wanted it to do via the PC setup. I especially had trouble with components that didn't have discreet on/off codes. Maybe a call to thier support line would have helped me but I'm stubborn.

The URC 300 is totally programmed in the unit itself so be prepared to spend a lot of time programming and rethinking and reprogramming again. But, once you get it the way you want it, you can make absolutely anything happen with just one button press.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
laurien #148102 10/06/06 02:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

...the MX series has serious complaints about faulty units and poor customer support as well.

Hi Laurien. I'm very surprised to hear this. I have both and MX-700 and MX-850, and have never had a problem with them. I know of numerous other MX owners, both here and at other forums, and have never heard of complaints about a faulty unit.

There has recently been a customer service flap because URC stopped supporting The MXEditor software for remotes purchased from unauthorized dealers. If you have, or purchase, a remote from an unauthorized dealer, such as one will find on Ebay, as long as your remote has a serial number (under the batteries in the battery compartment) you can still download the software needed to program your remote from URC's web site, but it will not support the live update feature. All software received from authorized dealers will support the live update feature.

Should anyone be interested in a URC remote, simply contact Mike at SurfRemoteControl.com (discounts@surfremotecontrol.com), and ask if there are any discounts available for the remote you want. Surf is an authorized dealer and offers substantial discounts on many remotes. They just aren't allowed to advertise that fact.

I bought my MX-850 from an unauthorized Ebay dealer at a substantial discount from MSRP, and was chagrined to find that Ray got his from Surf, for less than mine cost. Hard lessons learned.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #148103 10/06/06 04:38 PM
Does Surf also offer those dicounts on Harmony models? I gotta say that I'm still leaning towards those (if I ever get around to a universal) because of the form factor.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters