Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fellow IT Geeks: Opinions wanted.
Ken.C #148360 09/29/06 04:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I don't have much experience with SDLT, but I love LTOs. Very, very, very fast, and seemingly quite reliable. I haven't had one fail yet--unlike certain other media I could name (DAT, ahem...)

ditto myself

I vote LTO as well. I have one cutomer with an Overland Library and it seems to work well (after we had Overland out to replace the board in it =).

I'll tell ya one thing thou, I'd take a DAT72 any day over a DLT80 (at least the VS80 from hp/compaq). Bleh.

INANE #148361 09/29/06 01:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One of my "hobbies" was as at EMC Legato, supporting enterprise clients in the DR Business Continuity areas.
I have many thoughts, design ideas and comments floating around in my head....along with the voices! Oh those voices!!!

Ummm....back to the thread....

What is your budget going to support?
What is the amount of data you need to backup?
What is the backup window?
What is the infrastructure designed on - hubs or switches?
What software are you using to perform backups?

I would go LTO3, and we can discuss the details. There are many ways to get a bulletproof DR strategy without breaking the budget

BBIBH #148362 09/29/06 11:11 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
"What is your budget going to support?"

I have $15K US ticketed for phase one, the Overland enclocure with 1 drive and room for a second, plus media and BackupExec Enterprise including remote agents for HP-UX, Linux, Windows Server, Exchange, and SQL this is $3K above the quote to allow for the kind of stuff that happens with these things.

"What is the amount of data you need to backup?"

Today: 120GB. Within a couple of years: A couple TB or so.

"What is the backup window?"

Diffs daily on most servers with fulls on Fridays and monthend. Unix host gets fulls 7 days a week. All done overnight.

"What is the infrastructure designed on - hubs or switches?"

In the main office I'm moving from the legacy dumb switches to 2948-G gigabit switches. Servers are already on their own 2948-G, safely in their own collision domain. I'm planning on setting up the backup server on a backup network and connecting the servers to that network for that purpose. A kind of poor-mans SAN if you will. The eventual goal in say FY 08 or 09 is a fibre-channel SAN.

"What software are you using to perform backups?"

Currently each server has it's own drive and I have a messy hodgepodge of different versions of BackupExec and ArcServ. The goal as above is to have a backup server with agents for the various other servers and services as needed. I like BackupExec because it's only slightly less of a Charlie-Foxtrot than ArcServe.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters