Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Newbie Home Theater Room Size Question
michael_d #148439 10/01/06 06:35 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Welcome Danno ! I'm in the same newbie boat as you with regards to construction of my HT. I must have lucked out .. didn't really know there was an ideal lxwxh ratio so to speak.

My dimensions are roughly 24'long (to front of wet bar) x 11'5" wide x 7'5" high.

Epson 8700, M80's, VP-150, QS8's, SVS PB13-Ultra, Denon 3310CI
Slitman #148440 10/02/06 12:13 PM
D
Danno Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Well, I don't know if this is the wisest approach, but three of the four walls in the area I'm converting is already studded and has paneling on it. I was planning on just priming and painting the paneling, building the new 4th wall the same way, then add acoustic panels at the appropriate places if needed. I was hoping to avoid the drywall dust/mess. I know there is insulation underneath the paneling, so I would think that would help with the acoustics a bit. I did this with a spare bedroom in the basement, added chair rail molding all around, and it looks pretty good (the grooves in the paneling actually added to the aesthetics.) I’m not sure how good/bad this would be for acoustics in a theater room, though.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Danno #148441 10/02/06 01:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Well, I don't know if this is the wisest approach, but three of the four walls in the area I'm converting is already studded and has paneling on it. I was planning on just priming and painting the paneling, building the new 4th wall the same way, then add acoustic panels at the appropriate places if needed. I was hoping to avoid the drywall dust/mess. I know there is insulation underneath the paneling, so I would think that would help with the acoustics a bit. I did this with a spare bedroom in the basement, added chair rail molding all around, and it looks pretty good (the grooves in the paneling actually added to the aesthetics.) I’m not sure how good/bad this would be for acoustics in a theater room, though.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Danno,

The Staggered stud approach is only for sound transmission. If the majority of the room is already framed then there is not much you can do about it. If you are concerned about sound traveling to other areas of the house, I would recommend greengluecompany.com which is what I will be using on the ceiling of my home theatre. It adds an unbelievable sound transmision class for very cheap depending on your square footage that needs to be covered. Although it would reqire adding another layer of drywall on all your walls.

Acoustics can be taken care of easily with well placed bass traps in every corner and absorbtion panels on the first reflection zones. This is all done after you have all your equipment so don't worry about getting it done now!

Sounds like you have everything under control!

-Robb

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/02/06 01:44 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082