Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Audiophile Headphones?
#148645 10/02/06 04:54 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My brother is looking at getting some headphones, he picked up a $180 pair of Bose headphones (OUCH) at futureshop and I told him to take them back RIGHT AWAY!

I suggested to him to check out AKG, although they are more for studio use. I am not well versed in the average consumer level of headphones, only studio where most of the headphone designs are not fully closed.

He is looking to spend around $200, either on ebay or off of ebay.

I was thinking AKG's line of DJ headphones might be worth a look, they can be had under $200.

What do you guys think? He is no Audiophile by any means but if he notices that I think his heaphones are inadequite, he will quickly convince himself that he needs something better.

I personally have some Sony studio headphones at home that have served me well. I think he wants something that is more practical, not TOO big, mostly for home use and on airplanes, he needs a closed headphone.

I did find a company called Beyerdynamic that has been raved about by the steriophile group, but they are mostly UK and are harder to get in Canada as a reasonable price.

Thanks!

-Hutz

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/02/06 04:55 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Re: Audiophile Headphones?
Hutzal #148646 10/02/06 05:05 PM
shareholder in the making
Does he need closed air headphones, say for noise isolation? If so, then AKG DJ81s might fit the bill. If not, then I'd be looking a little broader, say at Sennheiser, Grado, etc. There's a lot of headphone geeks around here, and I'm sure they'll jump in.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #148647 10/02/06 05:09 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
>>Does he need closed air headphones, say for noise isolation? If so, then AKG DJ81s might fit the bill. If not, then I'd be looking a little broader, say at Sennheiser, Grado, etc. There's a lot of headphone geeks around here, and I'm sure they'll jump in.

Yes, he is looking for fully closed, he goes on alot of business trips on planes and stuff. He wants complete silence around him.

To be fair, I DID listen to the bose headphones, they weren't all that bad, but in all honesty, for $180, the K 81 DJ will probably perform better than those Bose's.

The Bose was stuggling on the low end bass, my bro listens to alot of hip hop/top 40 stuff so bass is something that he wants.

I searched heaphones and found your review of the K 81 DJ, seems like you liked them?

EDIT: He is also using an Ipod for all his listening, so something with a high ohm is prefered.

-Hutz

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/02/06 05:18 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #148648 10/02/06 05:27 PM
They're great, but they clamp a little tight. I recommend ordering from headphone.com, they have an excellent moneyback guarantee. I ordered 3 sets of headphones and returned 1 for a full refund.

Ken.C #148649 10/02/06 06:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I second headphone.com. Good information about the various pros/cons and their customer service was good.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
James_T #148650 10/02/06 07:18 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Is the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro a good pair too?

HAve any of you had experience with these? I guess the 81DJs are a little tight on the head?

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #148651 10/02/06 07:56 PM
I actually found the 280s to be far less comfortable than the 81DJs, but that was mostly because of my glasses. A lot of it's a personal thing. I also preferred the sound of the AKGs.

Ken.C #148652 10/02/06 09:02 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
>>I actually found the 280s to be far less comfortable than the 81DJs, but that was mostly because of my glasses. A lot of it's a personal thing. I also preferred the sound of the AKGs.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #148653 10/02/06 09:08 PM
P
frequent flier
frequent flier
P
Quote:

Is the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro a good pair too?

HAve any of you had experience with these? I guess the 81DJs are a little tight on the head?

-Hutz

I bought a pair about 3 years ago to block out noise at work. When you put them on the outside world pretty much disappears.

Unfortunately, the inside world wasn't that great and I started hearing !@#$%% noises whenever I had them on (probably tight jaw muscles), even with no music playing so I had to give them away.

As for comfort, they are pretty heavy. The 600's that my brother has are much lighter.

To my untrained ear, the sound was excellent.

Jared

M22s VP100 QS8s EP500 Yamaha RX-V659
Hutzal #148654 10/02/06 09:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My 2 cents...

I also did a headphone/earphone search back in Dec/Jan. I wanted something small (for planes, office, etc) and good sounding. Sound isolation wasn't key, but a bonus if possible. I wanted it to sound good from my iPod or Mac and since it's mostly streaming audio or MP3, I wasn't necessarily looking for top notch audiophile quality.

I didn't go the over ear route, just too bulky to be used everyday for me. If I had, I probably would've looked hard at AKG. My father in law has the noise cancelling Bose but w/ the feature on, it felt like my eardrums were being sucked out. Not comfortable at all.

So I started w/ in ears. I have the Sony MDREX51 and they're decent at $25. They fit OK, but w/ in ears, they have to fit perfect for you to like them and for them to produce sound properly. I lucked out at Macworld and there were some demo's I tried. The Shures (E3c) were fine but a little tinny. Etymotic were the same for me, though the fit wasn't right. I tried Xtrememac's FS1 (designed by Future Sonics) and they fit very well. The only negative is it uses some foam pads that can wear but the fit is VERY good and bass response is good. (I listen mostly to hip hop, R&B, jazz, reggae/ton, rap, neo soul etc so bass is relevant.) Future Sonics sells monitor headphones and these are based on them. Future Sonics has a similar set for cheaper.

Then I tried what I ended up buying. Ultimate Ears Superfi 5EB. Bass response is amazing, as if my head was a sub. It does this w/ 2 drivers per ear. Fit is greatt, for me. AND, because it's in ear, it's complete sound isolation. Normally $200, but I got them on ebay for cheaper.

Good luck.

Superfi

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup