Another HT 3D Render Takes Shape !
#149890 10/21/06 11:41 PM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
Hello -
Well I am not going to admit to how many hours I have spent learning Sketchup and goofing off both at home and work to create these renders, but I am quite pleased with the results. They are dimensionally accurate for my basement room and there are only a couple of issues that I still have to resolve before I can start to crank some detailed bills of material etc.

A bit about my room:
18' x 15' 3"
Basement location

The "columns" are not really columns - they are hinged panels to hide doors

The walls are covered with GOM fabric frames spaced off the walls by 3" to allow acoustic treatments and adjustment to treatments after the room is built

There is a fabric covered soffit that will ring the room and also contain bass trapping material within

2 Superchunk bass traps at the front of the room

Ceiling will be fabric covered panels allowing both first reflection point treatment as well as a fiber optic star field (not shown in renders)

The stage is 12" high with a curved front and step
Fabric covered columns on each side of the stage, joined at the top, hiding the center and left/right speakers.

12" riser at the back of the room
5 Berkline 090 style recliners - 3 in back, 2 in front

The sub will be hidden under one of the boxes to the side of the front seats.

4 QS8s for surround and rear speakers - still trying to jam the floor standing speakers in the front - you will see the tight fit in the renders

The projector, center speaker, and a few other items are not included in these renders yet.

There is a door in the rear corner of the room that is hidden by fabric panels and to the side of that is a cavity that will hold the equipment rack - this is actually under the stairs going upstairs in the house.

What do you think?

Lewis

Re: Another HT 3D Render Takes Shape !
LewisCobb #149891 10/23/06 01:05 AM
shareholder in the making
Cool stuff Lewis..

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

LewisCobb #149892 10/23/06 03:09 AM
Fine work on the renderings, Lewis. Still wonder about having the speakers behind those cloth screens. Also, there should be some caution exercised so as to not make the room too "dead". In particular the side and back walls should allow reflections in the mids and treble.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

LewisCobb #149893 10/23/06 04:55 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Cool sketchup Lewis, what program did you use to do that?

Sutter Cane #149894 10/23/06 12:46 PM
The program is called SketchUp. It's a free download from Google.

LewisCobb #149895 10/23/06 01:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very well done, from someone who did his own theatre sketchup, i can appreciate how long the finer details take!

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/23/06 01:45 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
pmbuko #149896 10/23/06 05:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

The program is called SketchUp. It's a free download from Google.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I did all my designs on paper and have been hard at work downstairs ever since, but it'll be fun to try to take my design and recreate it via that program.

Hutzal #149897 10/23/06 06:57 PM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
Thanks for all compliments fellows. I have been dreaming about this theater for years and I really made some serious design progress once I discovered Sketchup last summer. It's highlighted all sorts of fine details that would have cost me either money or quality - and as some of you have pointed out, the placement of the mains may not be ideal yet so I am still fine tuning. The fact that you can get things in exactly to scale is the real benefit to this package, as well as the "turn it around and see how it looks behind" sort of thing.

And now that I am ranting about software packages for HT design I should mention that I also plan to buy and learn ETF5 when I start the build process as I would like to actually measure any treatments and adjustments to them. I don't see a lot of chatter about this program in some of the forums that I have been frequenting, but perhaps it's just my poor skills at using the various search engines. As an engineer, I always subscribe to the policy of "if you can't measure it you can't control it" !

Thanks for the tips on making the room not "too dead". At this point the design has the upper parts of the walls untreated, as well as the screen wall and possibly the back wall. Again, the use of ETF will hopefully assist me with the finer tuning.

I may load up these renders on the avs forum as well and see how bad the "high-enders" over there tear it to pieces. I really appreciate the feedback as it's all part of learning for me.

Cheers,
Lewis

PS - for those that have not heard of it - "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Everest is a great resource as well - I got a copy at Chapters online and it's really great for the "buff" as opposed to the PhD in acoustics. I learned all sorts fo stuff from this over the last year.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044