Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
News from the Axiom Conference in Washington, D.C.
#150344 10/29/06 12:57 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, at least that's what those in attendance called it! The stars briefly aligned and allowed several of us Axiom faithful to meet up in the nation's capital Friday night.

Tomtuttle was in D.C. for a work-related conference, and kcarlile was visiting pmbuko in Leesburg VA, so Mrs. medic8r, medic8r Jr and I traveled up to meet up with all of them (plus Peter and Ken's college friend Jason, and Tom's father-in-law Bill).

We had dinner and, oh, a few drinks at RFD in the heart of the city. This was the first time I have met other board members in person, and as I expected, they were welcoming, funny, and in general, upstanding citizens. Well, at least they were nice and funny.

This post could have been made in the beer thread, or in the "what do you look like" thread, as hopefully Tom's pics will follow, but as this is one of the largest gatherings of Axiomites ever to happen outside of Axiom World HQ, I thought I'd spin it into its own thread.

Speaking of beer, I enjoyed a Dominion Octoberfest, and staying with the theme, a Brooklyn Octoberfest. Plus some of Tom's Arrogant Bastard when the server mixed up our order. Oops!

Now I just have to hear what happened after the family and I turned in early, leaving the rest of the party to carry on. You guys didn't get into too much trouble, did you?

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Re: News from the Axiom Conference in Washington,
medic8r #150345 10/29/06 01:34 PM
shareholder in the making
Well, we just got bailed out this morning...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #150346 10/29/06 01:37 PM
Good thing Tom has a fat wallet.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: News from the Axiom Conference in Washington, D.C.
medic8r #150347 10/29/06 02:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I love the idea of forum members getting together when possible. I must say I'm seriously saddened to know I missed that particular group. All are among my forum favorites. Hope you all had a great time.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: News from the Axiom Conference in Washington, D.C.
medic8r #150348 10/29/06 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like a nice get together! Hopefully Tom will wake up soon and post some pics.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
medic8r #150349 10/29/06 04:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Awww, that sounded like sooo much fun! I wish I could have been there...if only to observe and listen to the conversations. So, is Ken as funny in person as he is on the boards? I always get a little chuckle out of him here!

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
medic8r #150350 10/29/06 08:24 PM
I come with a follow up. Here's a list of beers imbibed by Ken, Jason, and me:

Harpoon Octoberfest (J)
Stone 10th Anniv. IPA (J&P)
Spaten Optimator (K)
Warsteiner Dunkel (P)
Shenandoah Old Rag Mountain Scotch Ale (J)
Anchor Steam (J)
Brookyln Octoberfest (P)
Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA (J)
Leffe Bruin (P)
Blue Moon (K)
Schneider Aventinus (K&P)
Sam Adams Octoberfest (J)

Total beerage:
Ken: 3
Peter: 5
Jason: 6

We kept the party going until about 11, then we all walked the one block in the rain back to the Metro station, rode one stop together, then Ken, Jason, and I boarded a separate train and parted ways.

I need to do this more often.

pmbuko #150351 10/29/06 08:39 PM
Indeed, we do need to do this more often--all of us. It was a blast.

Soooo... beer reviews.
The Blue Moon White Belgian was good, but somewhat uncomplicated. Training wheels Belgian, I'd say.
The Optimator was fantastic--I haven't had many Doublebocks, but now I know I like 'em!
Uh, same deal with the Aventinus. From what I remember.

Anyway, it was great to get together with everyone.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #150352 10/29/06 11:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
It was a great event. It made me very happy indeed to share some time, food and beer with new and old friends.

Nobody brought a camera, so we were reduced to using a phone for photographic evidence. None of us (except Peter) are quite this blurry in real life. (medic8r, me, Ken, Peter, L-R)

I'm back home in the Real Washington now.

My assertion is that this was the greatest Axiom gathering outside of Dwight. And it wasn't some cheap deal, either. The four of us were a combined ~5,000 miles from home. We discussed the distinct virtues exhibited by many of the rest of you, and mourned your absence. There was drinking to your health.

I had a Flying Dog Abby-something (somewhere between ordinary and dreadful), a wonderful German black lager, the Dogfish 60 minute and the aforementioned Arrogant Bastard (which I informed the waitress I was being forced to order by my companions). As an aside, our server (whom - like the rest of her species - I refer to as "Heather") was attired in a size 00 T-shirt and ridiculously short denim skirt - both much to her advantage. She was surprisingly competent and witty for someone so young and she ultimately deserved her 20%. What a country.

Peter and I both ordered the Carbonnade. I cannot speak for him, but I thought the accompanying Pommes Frites some of the best I've had, and I stand by my assessment that a combination of those fries, gravy and beer was - along with the company present - quite satisfactory, Archie.

I read Jon Meacham's "American Gospel" on the way home, which served as a powerful coda to my trip to the Federal city. Perhaps as a result of Meacham's compelling interpretation of the intersection of faith and government as put forth by the Founding Fathers, I am perhaps unduly grateful for and sentimental about the good people with whom I shared that meal. Well, and the Seahawks lost, it's raining like Thailand and I'm somewhat under-medicated at the moment.

Ken - Congratulations. The world is a better place due to your news.

Peter - your wit and warmth remain a great blessing to me.

JP - You have a great family, and I am delighted to be your friend. You are even more clever and charming in person than online. Now, give me my damn meds, you hack.

Mrs. Medic8r, Medic8r Jr., Bill and Jason - thanks for being such good sports. Here's to next time.

I continue to be amazed and sustained by the friendships derived from this seemingly unlikely place. Our DC gathering was one of those experiences upon which I will continue to feast for some time.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
pmbuko #150353 10/30/06 03:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
And someday when i bother to visit my brother in Virginia, i will stop by Peter's place and discuss how in the world beer titles such as "Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA" can possibly describe a beer and make it sound at all palatable.

My hope is to sneak up on JohnK while in the area and turn his left speaker down 1dB in the receiver settings to see if he notices.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020