Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Classical Music suggestions? (sushi?)
#15060 07/16/03 04:16 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
This is directed mainly at Sushi, but if anyone else happens to be a classical music fan(guru) please chime in!

I know you know your classical music, so could you make some suggestions for me. I prefer laid back, mellow classical over big and loud. I love cello and piano, though anything peaceful is nice. I don't know all that much about classical, but I think I also prefer 19th and 20th century composers over most (but not all) 18th century. I like the richer, fuller sound that most of the more "modern" pieces of music I've heard have over the older works. (am I nuts, or is this actually true?)

I also have learned to really HATE bad recordings since I've upgraded my entire system. *sigh*...it's nice to have great equipment, but now bad cd's sound so...well - bad.

Any suggestions?

Re: Classical Music suggestions? (sushi?)
#15061 07/16/03 04:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not hugely knowledgeable about classical music (beyond Music 101), but my wife and I have been listening to a bit while she's pregnant in order to get the "Mozart Effect" on our son. Just my observation from our limited classical collection, but the recordings with smaller ensembles seem to sound better than full orchestras. Knowing that you like techno stuff, you might appreciate some of Bach's harpsichord concertos for multiple harpsichords.

#15062 07/16/03 04:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Since this thread started....I'd be interested in the loud/thunderous side if there are any suggestions of good ones there as well.

I bought my first sampling into the genre...a 4 CD set called Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music.
It's an ensamble(SP?) of some of the better know pieces. About 60 pieces for about $15.

#15063 07/16/03 05:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Spiffnme:

If you like the cello you must try the Bach Cello Suites -- Fournier on Archiv or Starker on Mercury have both good sound and sound (pun intended) performance.

For 19th century, you may want to try Brahms' chamber music (Piano Trio #1 and String Sextet #1 are my favourites) or maybe some of Dvorak's (Piano Trios, some of his late string quartets, etc.)

Good luck.

P.s. It was me who posted that wanted ad on agon, but I replied to the wrong address

#15064 07/16/03 06:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I prefer laid back, mellow classical over big and loud…

[snip]

…but I think I also prefer 19th and 20th century composers over most (but not all) 18th century. I like the richer, fuller sound that most of the more “modern” pieces of music…

If I read these statements at the face value, I have to say that OGS20 is right on the money. I second his suggestion of chamber works from the broader “romantic” school, including, in addition to Brahms and Dvorak as mentioned, Schubert, Debussy, Franck, Elgar, Barber, and even late pieces of Beethoven to name an eclectic few.

But many moments of these romantic chamber music can be the exact opposite of “laid-back” and “mellow” (despite that there will be many mellow passages as well). With respect to the absolute “loudness,” they by no means approach 20-century full orchestral works. But the musical content can be highly agitating and even thunderous; sometimes it is truly surprising to hear the huge swing of sonority that a string quartet or piano trio can produce.

If you rather like “peaceful” yet “rich” sounds, you may well prefer, for example, orchestral works of Mozart and Bach. Bach’s orchestral suites and Brandenburg concertos, as well as Mozart’s mid and late symphonies and concertos, may be an excellent place to start.

You know, this is really a tough question. If you could give me a few classical pieces that you’ve heard and liked a lot, it would be much easier for me to start from there! For example, do you like any particular "orchestral" movie soundtrack?

#15065 07/16/03 07:06 PM
local
local
Run - do not walk - to your local classical CD shop and pick up the Cleveland Quartet recording: Debussy: Quartet in G major & Ravel: Quartet in F major. If you can't find them, see who else they have doing the Ravel and grab what looks like the most carefully recorded version. You'll love it.

#15066 07/16/03 07:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Zarak,

To name a few of my own favorites from the “loud and thunderous” category...

- Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique
- Wagner, popular overtures from Tannhauser, Meistersinger, etc.
- Mussorgsky/Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition
- Last but not least, Mahler’s symphonies, especially Nos. 2, 5 and 8.

But ALL of these pieces contain infinitesimally quiet moments too, providing an excellent test for the micro- and macro-dynamics of your system. If you feel you want to “ride” the volume knob while listening to these works, I would say something is wrong in your equipment.

#15067 07/16/03 07:21 PM
old hand
old hand
If you rather like “peaceful” yet “rich” sounds, you may well prefer ... Bach’s orchestral suites and Brandenburg concertos

--

Sushi: I would disagree. I'm somewhat of a Bach fanatic, the Brandenburg Concerti are hardly "peaceful" -- for example, Harnoncourt's Brandenberg, with the celli and the harpsichord pounding away, sounds more "rock" than "baroque"; but yeah, the Mozart (yawn) is very "peaceful"

Spiffnme, the "problem" in this case is really, the piano didn't exist until the 19th century, and by that time music has become quite romantic (i.e. not peaceful); and the cello was also used more as an accompaniment than as a solo instrument until that same time. The music you're looking for may be in short supply (but of course, I may have misunderstood).

#15068 07/16/03 07:56 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Spiffnme, years ago I was sort of in the same boat.. I found this collection at Sams Club of all places.. "Masters of Classical music", by a firm called Delta Music Inc, with the digital work by Laser Light.. This is a 10 cd set..
Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, J. Strauss, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Chopin, Schubert, and Verdi..
I found it to be a great 'starter' box.. It still pops up at places like Sams Club, Costco, etc.. It's very well done, and holds up even under the scrutinizing eyes of my M80's.. I believe it goes for around 15 to 18 bucks..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#15069 07/16/03 08:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LOL, OGS20. Yeah, I too have Harnoncourt's recordings of the Brandenberg's (in fact, I am his fan!) and have to agree with you on that one.

One caution on those "best classical collection" type of CDs: Unfortunately, the recording quality often sucks a BIG TIME in these CD sets. The recording techniques for classical music have come a long way, and AS LONG AS you select from the "original label" recordings made within the last 10 years or so with reputable artists, you rarely encounter a "bad" recording. But when it comes to those "best collection" type of sets, NO GUARANTEE in the recording quality whatsoever.

#15070 07/16/03 09:09 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Examples...hmmm

film work of John Barry
Adagio For Strings by Barber
Concierto de Aranjuez for guitar & orchestra Adagio by Joaquin Rodrigo
Concerto For Piano And Orchestra No. 5 by Beethhoven

#15071 07/16/03 09:19 PM
local
local
If I might add my $.02, most of my classical collection is from soundtracks. I love the classics as well, but I like to hear the modern composers as well.

My #1 is the soundtrack to Gattaca. Most of the songs are strings arrangements and the songs are mostly laid back and calm. I love to listen to it when I'm reading or studying.

#2 would be the Soundtrack to Shine. It's mostly piano, but there's some great classics in the mix.

#3 Since I saw that techno was mentioned, then I would have to recommend the soundtrack to K-Pax. It's really laid back and has some elements of classical and techno. Really great stuff. And the violin solo in the song New Mexico give me the chills EVERY time.

Well, there you have it..my list. Hope you check some of them out.

Jason

#15072 07/16/03 09:39 PM
veteran
veteran
If you want some well recorded classical music that sounds quite good, AIX records makes outstanding Hires DVD-Audio/Video disks. I bought a few of them to get some classical, and the DVD-Audio 96/24 mixes are beautiful through the Axioms.

The favorites of what I purchased from AIX are Bach/Brandenburgs 3 and 5, and Brahms Piano Concertos. The Stravinsky Firebird/Ravel Bolero disk is also quite good. I believe they all come with DD and DTS options as well if you don't have a DVD-Audio player.

#15073 07/16/03 10:42 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
I hear ya Sushi.. There is a lot of junk out there today.. But this collection was actually done quite well.. Laser Light has made a number of fine ADD and DDD recordings.. And for someone not sure what he/she likes, that sampler is a good way to get your feet wet..
By the by, I'm quite fond of trumpet concerto's myself..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#15074 07/17/03 12:20 AM
shareholder in the making
Craig, I tend to agree with your period preferences. Although I listen to Bach, Haydn, Mozart etc. my greatest interest begins about 1830 with the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. As sushi and others pointed out, the music tends to have both gentle and vigorous moments within the same composition and I'm not going to honor your "laid-back" specification.

Ravel's music does tend to have more gentle moments, so let me first suggest a Ravel collection including the exquisitely beautiful Ma Mere L'Oye(Mother Goose), with Tortelier and the Ulster Orchestra on Chandos CHA 7102.

Rachmaninoff is one of my real favorites, so I'll suggest a bargain(about$7)CD I've suggested before in replies and PMs: Symphonic Dances, etc., Batiz and the Royal Philharmonic on Naxos NXS 8.550583.

I've got 6 versions of Smetana's Ma Vlast(My Country)and I'll suggest a bargain CD with Berglund and the Dresden State Orchestra on Seraphim SPH 73736.

An old but beautiful collection with Anna Moffo singing and Stokowski conducting the gorgeous Rachmaninoff Vocalise and others on RCA 7831.

A very colorful collection of Respighi's Pines of Rome, etc., in excellent sound with Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony is on London LON 455 290.

A new recording(also on SACD)of Gliere's gigantic Il'Ya Murometz is on Telarc TLC 80609 with Botstein and the London Symphony.

As always, these often have to ordered since they're not in stock, even at big stores. I'll stop here although I could list hundreds more.

Last edited by JohnK; 07/17/03 12:29 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#15075 07/17/03 12:45 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hi SPiffnme:

Some other thoughts for you (maybe check out sample tracks on Amazon)...

- "Evening Adagios" (2 disks, includes some of the adagios mentioned in this thread)
- "The Bach Variations" (Windham Hill sampler)
- Schubert's String Quintet in C Major (I have one with Mstislav Rostropovich)
- Sir Hubert Parry's "English" Symphony--different and interesting

Other stuff:
- Galaxies (Kevin Braheny)--new age--great space music
- Soundtracks: Nell (laid back, sensitive); The Peacemaker (more boomy), Hamlet (Mel Gibson)--a bit of both.

Take care.

Larry

#15076 07/17/03 01:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I have run into the recording problem with the set I got. It has to be played at louder levels (on the volume knob) then anything else I have just to get the same output.

#15077 07/17/03 05:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Craig,

Your favorites list somehow triggered me to suggest you some music by British composers of late 19th to 20th century:

Holst - The Planets
Elgar - Enigma Variations
Britten - Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

I think you will like the coloful but not overwhelming orchestral sounds devised in these works. These are also nice introductions on what kind of things an orchestra can do sonically.

I also second John's mention of Rachmaninoff. Among my suggestions in Russian flavors are:

Rachmaninoff - Pioano Concerto No.2 (lots of "mellow" moments)
Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody On A Theme By Paganini (the famous soundtrack of "Somewhere in Time")
Tschaikovski - Ballet Suites - Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty... (generally "easy and laid-back")

#15078 07/18/03 12:00 AM
Craig, sushi's mention of British composers reminded me of the CD I have of the Ralph Vaughn Williams 3rd Symphony("Pastoral")which is so gentle that a critic likened it to "a cow gazing over a fence". Very nice, and coupled with the much more vigorous 4th Symphony on RCA 60583(Previn, London Symphony). Sushi's mention of Swan Lake is right on and the entire 2 1/2 hours is worthwhile, but the suite of about half the music(Ermler, Royal Opera House Orchestra, Conifer 18811)can be recommended.

But enough of this; run right over to Tower on Sunset and get all these CDs.

#15079 07/18/03 07:45 AM
local
local
Here are a few suggestions:

Mozart - Concerto for Flute
Massenet - Meditation de Thais
Vivaldi - Spring Largo
Bach - Air/Air on a G String
Mahler - Symphony No 5

#15080 07/18/03 03:29 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I just listened to Beethoven's piano concerto No. 5 last night. I had forgotten how much I enjoy that piece of music.

#15081 07/18/03 09:18 PM
Don't forget about that one from the "Clockword Orange" soundtrack, too!

(Beethoven's 9th, for the cinematically-challenged)

#15082 07/18/03 09:40 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Beethoven's 9th goes without saying.

I have the Harnancourt (sp?) box set of all nine Beethoven symphonies. Very nice. I especially like the 6th and 7th.

#15083 07/19/03 05:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I have the Harnancourt (sp?) box set of all nine Beethoven symphonies.

Good coice, Craig! Teldec, right? I have the set, too, and love it. Excellent recordings, too. In fact, I was going to suggest the Symphony No.7 as well, and you covered it already.

Oh, and since you like Beethoven's "Emperor" Piano Concerto, I bet you will love Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1, too.

#15084 07/19/03 05:38 AM
Ooh, I'm going to have to grab that. My Beethoven's 9th is so bad I can hear a wrong note by one of the cellists in the first movement and the scrape of someone's folding chair. (which is pretty impressive quality, I know, but come on...)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#15085 07/19/03 06:32 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I've tended to like a lot of Tschaikovsky's work. I really like "marche slave". I swear I've heard that in a movie before, but no one has ever been able to confirm that for me.

RCA Victor Basic 100 ?????
#15086 07/20/03 04:08 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I just finished listening to my copy of Holst "The Planets". I have it on the RCA Victor Basic 100 disc 27. What a great disc. Wow...The Planets is even dolby surround encoded. I flipped on DPL II, and it was a GREAT sounding experience. (I generally have not enjoyed DPL II in the past).

I currently have discs 4,5,25,27,33,41,53, and 58 of the Basic 100. I've scoured the web for more info on the "Basic 100" series, but it seems in my classical music absence, this series has disappeared. Anybody know any more about these discs? I'd love to get more.

Re: RCA Victor Basic 100 ?????
#15087 07/20/03 04:59 AM
Craig, this is encouraging; if you like "The Planets", which I have several of(the CDs, not the planets themselves), you should like most of my previous suggestions. Again, if for some inexplicable reason you haven't run over to Tower on Sunset to pick up or order whatever they have, leave the computer and do so. As to the RCA Basic 100 Series, there is some good stuff there, although it's rather old. Besides the Planets, I also note your Rachmaninoff #53. There's a lot more of him that you'll enjoy. On the Tower Records site under classical, search label RCA and album title Basic 100 and you'll find 35 listed, which doesn't necessarily mean that they'll all be in stock, of course.

#15088 07/20/03 05:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Craig:

I think the Basic 100 series came out about 10+ years ago. I'm 99.999% sure all the titles are now OOP (if the what I'm thinking of is correct, red and white CD cover?). You can try Berkshire .... Berk-something to see if they have anything in inventory (the people who specializes in cutouts/discontinuted items).

#15089 07/20/03 07:00 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
10 years ago sounds about right. That's about when I was listening a lot to classical. I'll be heading out cd shopping tomorrow.

#15090 07/21/03 03:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Lately I've been listening to Yo Yo Ma. Quality of recording and performances are excellent. So was the one with Bobby McFerrin.

#15091 07/21/03 06:06 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Piano and cello...I heard some in a movie last night. I liked it. What's a good cd to buy with just a piano and cello?

#15092 07/21/03 08:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One of my favorites:

Brahms / Sonatas for Piano and Cello / Rostropovich (cello) & Serkin (piano) - Grammophon #410510-2 (DDD)

As usual for Brahms' chamber works, these are pretty "serious"-sounding pieces of music, but you may well enjoy... A great recording, too.

#15093 07/21/03 09:07 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I just really love the sound a cello makes. It's so full and rich. An incredible instrument.

#15094 07/21/03 11:50 PM
Agreed, Craig. Possibly the most notable orchestral works featuring the cello are the Dvorak Cello Concerto, Bloch's Schelomo and Bruch's Kol Nidrei; Fournier does all of them on DG 429 155(about $8)in older but very good performances.

#15095 07/22/03 05:13 PM
old hand
old hand
Craig:

I just heard this (a short excerp on the radio) -- Bolling: Suite for Cello and Jazz Piano Trio, Sony 39059, Yo-Yo Ma and some people I don't know

Sounds like Bach meets Jazz I think I'll be buying this CD shortly. I liked it very much.

#15096 07/22/03 05:46 PM
veteran
veteran
I heard that the other day on NPR I think it was...very nice, I couldn't remember the title however. There was another I believe by Heidel? With Yo Yo Ma also that was quite good.

#15097 07/23/03 12:37 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK...I've compiled a list, and I'll be at the Virgin Megastore tonight.

Keep the suggestions coming - especially not just the piece of music, but also which recording (cd) to get. I've noticed that most of these pieces have a dozen or more cd's available, and I know from experience that I may love one, and hate another.

It's cool that you guys are so helpful. I didn't realize until I started listing my favorites and you all pieced it together, that yes indeed my favorites do tend to be the British and Russian composers. (Though Mr. Beethoven has a lot of great stuff as well!)

#15098 07/23/03 12:44 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
On a similar subject...what do you all think of the film "Immortal Beloved"? I LOVED it...the director/editor should be shot for putting in that "flashback" recap at the very end, but besides that, I really enjoyed it.

#15099 07/23/03 05:55 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK...I bought a few cds.

1) Tchaikovsky | Mendelssohn first piano concertos by Lang Lang. There are a few moments on the disc I enjoyed, but overall it seemed overly rushed...I needed to catch my breath after listening. Geesh...the so much of the cd seemed frantic - not my cup of tea.

2) Brahms / Sontas for Piano and Cello / Rostropovich (cello) & Serkin (piano). I haven't had a chance to give this one a serious listen to yet. But what I heard so far, I've enjoyed.

3) Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique - LSO Live. Again, haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen, but I've enjoyed what I've heard so far. (Certainly better than the Lang Lang disc)

#15100 07/23/03 08:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Surprised nobody mentioned The Blue Danube by Strauss?

#15101 07/23/03 08:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, Craig! You are quickly becoming a seasoned classical music fan!

In reply to:

1) Tchaikovsky | Mendelssohn first piano concertos by Lang Lang. There are a few moments on the disc I enjoyed, but overall it seemed overly rushed...I needed to catch my breath after listening. Geesh...the so much of the cd seemed frantic - not my cup of tea.

Are you talking about the performance (interpretation) or the compositions (music itself) here?

As for the Symphonie Fantastique, its five movements each have VERY different musical characters. After you listen through the symphony, let us know which movement(s) you liked.

#15102 07/23/03 10:01 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well I used to listen to quite a bit about a decade ago...I just got out of it for some time.

I'll have to hear another version of the piano concerto to know if it was the music, or the playing that I did not enjoy.

#15103 07/23/03 11:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I'll have to hear another version of the piano concerto to know if it was the music, or the playing that I did not enjoy.

My recommendation on the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 is:

Argerich/Abbado/Berlin Phil. (DDD 1994) Deutche Grammophon #449 816-2.

This is one of the highly acclaimed recordings of the Tchaikovski. Argerich presents it very drammatically. Bravo!

#15104 07/24/03 07:29 PM
Here's one that's a little off beat, but excellent:

Bela Fleck - Perpetual Motion.

Classical music done on a banjo! (also with excellent classical and bluegrass musicians)

#15105 07/24/03 07:49 PM
I must second that recommendation. Cello and Marimba fans will also love that Bela Fleck CD.

#15106 07/24/03 08:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How does Bela Fleck's - Perpetual Motion compare to Flight of the Cosmic Hippo? I have the Cosmic Hippo CD, like it a lot.

#15107 07/24/03 08:36 PM
It's a totally different genre, and Victor Wooten (the bassist) doesn't play on Perpetual Motion.

If you like Cosmic Hippo, I highly recommed the entire discography of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

#15108 07/24/03 09:06 PM
I would also recommend Victor Wooten's first two CDs. The others are... kind of weird...

"A Show of Hands", his first one, is his best.

#15109 07/24/03 09:09 PM
Oh boy, a thread I can actually say something about!

First, someone mentioned the cutout/discount specialists: that is the Berkshire Record Outlet at http://www.broinc.com. They're a definite destination on the web, and it's fun to go to their location as well (not that it's much to see, but they do have a lot of specials in the front room even better than the ones in their catalog) -- it's a few miles from the shed at Tanglewood in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts, which is itself one of the great meccas of classical music.

I don't yet own the great sound systems you folks do, so I generally can't comment on how good these recordings are, but here are a few more for your consideration:

Coloratura is something of an acquired taste (my mother has been in the Seattle Symphony Chorale since before I was born, and she still isn't crazy about it), but this recording is simply incredible: Edita Gruberova, Queen of Coloratura. The first track is the Queen of the Night aria from Mozart's Magic Flute (by the way, NO yawning here!) which is an amazing virtuosa performance in the high registers. If you want to test your speakers' extreme high range, you can't go wrong here -- I've been using it as one of my test tracks. The rest of the recording is also fantastic. Gruberova is a rarity who not only can do the extreme high, very fast notes exactly in tune and crystal clear, but also can sing the dramatic longer notes. I was lucky enough to hear her live early in her career at the Vienna Staatsoper, and she was an absolute sensation. A recording can never be as good as live, but this one comes close. Highly recommended.

Anything with Sir Eliot Gardner is likely to be a good choice. His work with historically-informed performance has produced some wonderfully new-sounding recordings of pieces we thought we knew before. I have several of his: I enjoy his work with the Bach Christmas Oratorio, with the Mozart Requiem, and more.

Boston Baroque has produced some great recordings in recent years: one of my favorites is the Montoverdi Vespers of 1610 -- that's a stunning recording as well, so I'll bet it would sound fantastic on a great system.

Someone mentioned the Bach solo Cello Suites -- one of the classic recordings of recent years is Yo-Yo Ma's recording of those. I don't happen to own that one, but it's on my wish list.

Curtis, you're from the LA area, right? Does Jim Sjveyda (sp?) still broadcast from KUSC? He has a great compilation of his work with The Record Shelf in a guide to classical music. It's extremely opinionated, extremely passionate, and at times, hilarious. (For instance, he describes the work of Carl Orff in Carmina Burana as the sound a gland might make [I may be misquoting somewhat]).

There are a few things to start with. More later.

Chris
Holliston, MA

#15110 07/24/03 10:09 PM
Welcome, Chris. I'm also a fan of Jim Svejda. If you can't get him in Holliston(strangely, Great Barrington is the only MA station listed), you should be aware that on the kusc.org site you'll be able to get to a list of the dozens of stations which stream their audio on the internet and carry Record Shelf at various times. Jim also hosts classical music every weekday night on KUSC from 7:00 PM to midnight.

#15111 07/28/03 04:29 PM
M
M
Hi spiffnme,

I have a few suggestions that I think you may enjoy:
($$$=premium,$$=mid,$=bargain)

Rachmaninov/Franck, Sonatas for Cello and Piano, etc.
Hyperion CDA 67376 $$$
Stephen Isserlis(Cello), Stephen Hough(Piano)

This is a brand new recording, and it is absolutely fantastic. The Rachmaninov is particularly gripping. Pricey, though!

Rachmaninov, Piano Concerto No.3 in D minor, Opus 30.
Arcadi Volodos (Piano), James Levine (Cond.), Berlin Phil
Sony Classical SK 60893 $$

Live, although you would be hard pressed to tell. Best Rachmaninov 3rd, hands down (I have 15 different recordings of it, and have heard over 40)

Bach, Solo Cello Suites 1998 recording
Pieter Wispelwey (Cello)
Channel Classics CCS 12298 $$$ (but double pak)

Very warm, beautiful tone. Avoid his earlier (1990) recording on the same label.

Holst, The Planets
Andrew Davis (Cond.), BBC Symphony
Apex (Time/Warner - budget) $

My favorite recording of The Planets, spectactular performance and well recorded too! Dutoit is nice, but 3 times the price (rhyme not intended)

Also, if you are in Canada, check out the CD bins at Chapters/Indigo. They carry a classical series done by Tring (TIM classics?) that is really good. The CDs look a little like something you might find at WalMart, but the recordings are very well done, and some of the artists give definitive performances. All performances are with the Royal Philharmonic, using various conductors. Here are a few good starters:

Beethoven Piano Concertos 1,5
Beethoven Piano Concertos 2,3
Beethoven Piano Concerto 4, Triple Concerto
Michael Roll (Piano), Howard Shelley (Cond.)

Grieg Piano Concerto, Lyric Pieces (excerpts)
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto, Seasons (excerpts)
Ronan O'Hora (Piano), James Judd (Cond.)

Checkout the Apex (Time/Warner) series. Cheap (cheaper than Naxos, even!), but often good. For definitive sound quality (albeit high price), the Chandos label has unbeatable sound. Hyperion is usually not too far behind. Unfortunately, these labels are both UK imports, making them $$$. Brilliant Classics has taken to re-releasing some good recordings originally done on CRD, ASV and Haenssler that can be quite good too, and they are very affordable (at HMV).

I know this seems like a long list, but there is a lot of good stuff out there that is often overlooked by music snobs.

Good luck!

#15112 08/04/03 01:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alright...for Sushi or any of you other classical fans out there....I've been listening to the 4 CD classical sampler set that I bought. One of the songs I orginally wanted was Wagner "ride of the valkyries". As I'm listening, I came across another track I've really been liking. I just checked the CD, and suprise suprise, it is also a Wagner piece, "Prelude to Lohengrin". Is there a good quality recording out there where I can get both of these pieces as well as some of his other stuff. I think this might be a good place for me to start. Thanks in advance.

Zarak

#15113 08/04/03 03:25 AM
Z, the first thing is that you must be warned that on penalty of death ist verboten to refer to classical orchestral excerpts(especially by Wagner!)as "songs".

My favorite CD that has the two excerps you mentioned(assuming it's the Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin;the Preludes to Acts II and III are somewhat less famous)is on Deutsche Grammophon DG 447 764 with Levine conducting the Met Orchestra. Of course, I could also give you a laundry list more.

#15114 08/04/03 05:10 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We like laundry lists. Tell us all you know.

#15115 08/04/03 07:03 AM
Craig, I should insist on certification that you got all my previous suggestions. But at this point I'll at least add one more in case it's really the Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin that Z liked: very nice Wagner collection on Seraphim 73299(about $7)with Jansons and the Oslo Philharmonic.

#15116 08/04/03 01:39 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Suggestion. . . this thread has some good recommendations. Print it out and take it to your Public Library. Usually they have some good CD's of many types. Check out some and you can narrow down some of your preferences. I pay for this "free" service in my community through ever-increasing property taxes.

#15117 08/04/03 04:08 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I have cut and paste most of the suggestions here into one document, and have brought it with me on two occasions already when shopping for music. It's been very helpful!

#15118 08/04/03 04:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've been looking online trying to find this...I'm finding things close but don't know that I have the exact recording. I assume DG 447 764 is a catalog number that I can search on. I found something related but it looks like a 4CD set of the entire Parisal (SP?), which was $67 or so. I'm guessing this is overkill for what I am looking for.

#15119 08/04/03 05:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Perhaps this is it...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000041KY/ref=ase_bridgebooks/102-7622250-4650523?v=glance&s=music

I'll check out the library before I do anything and see what I can dig up.

#15120 08/04/03 10:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, I made a trip to the library. They didn't have a whole lot. I got "the story of Wagner", and have it on now. It seems to be more a story of his life with his music mixed in though...not quite what I was looking for. It also seems that a lot of people on here mention YO-YO MA, so I got his Made in America CD to try out as well. Hopefully this is a good first selection by him. At 50 cents a CD for a week rental I can't really argue.

#15121 08/04/03 10:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FYI...i just heard the Prelude on the new disc I have and it is specified...it is actually the Prelude to Act III that I liked. Haven't heard the one for Act I yet...that comes up later.

#15122 08/04/03 11:40 PM
Okay Z, of course I was just poking fun at you about "songs", but sometimes knowing the classical lingo makes it easier to find stuff online. For example, when I wanted to check if the Levine CD(the one in your link)was still available, I went to hbdirect.com, looked under Wagner at "opera excerpts", and found it immediately.

Now, as I suspected, it's the Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin that you heard. So, my alternative suggestion of the Jansons CD on Seraphim includes that. It's available for about $7 at your King of Prussia branch of Borders(Ave. of Arts, Bryn Mawr, Marlton and Springfield branches also show it in stock). Incidentally, I certainly wouldn't be happy if my library charged to borrow CDs.

I gather that you lean toward the more vigorous items in classical music, which is generally my own tendency. If so, I have scads of suggestions, including the Rachmaninoff, Respighi, Smetana, etc. suggestions I made to Craig.

#15123 08/05/03 01:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yup, the KofP Borders is right around the corner from me. Maybe I'll check that one out....I assume it has Ride of the Valkyries as well. And as for part two, yes I like the more vigorous items, which makes sense since my other listening is mostly on the hard rock side of things. I'll happily take other suggestions. It seems that there are a bunch of different recordings out there of things, and finding a good quality one is sometimes the hard part with classical. Thanks for the help.

Zarak

#15124 08/05/03 02:55 AM
Z, yes it includes the Ride. While you're at Borders there's at least two other items I've suggested from time to time that I think you'd like and are shown in stock: Respighi, Roman Festivals, etc., Dutoit and the Montreal on London 430 729(about $16)very colorful in excellent sound; Brahms, Hungarian Dances(if you happen to be of slavic ancestry like me, or even if you aren't),Bogar with the Budapest Symphony(about $8)on Naxos 8.550110.

#15125 08/28/03 09:38 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hi all! I've been reading this post but before I go out and buy anything I have a couple of questions. My appreciation of classical music comes down to the familiar selections. Beethoven's 9th, Nutcracker suite, etc. I am basically a casual listener. With my new Axiom system, I have just started listening to music again. Most of my CD's are 15-20 years old. I took out my old Beethoven’s 9th CD (Cleveland Symphony Orchestra), and it did sound good, but not great. For great I only have as reference the Norah Jones Come Away CD. That is the only new CD I own, and in addition to loving the songs, the sound quality just blows me away, almost sounds live. So, if I want to go out and get maybe 1 or 2 classical CD's, I want to find both familiar pieces (almost said songs) & that same reference quality sound as Norah. Is that possible with classical music? Also, knowing that I like Norah, any suggestions for similar music with the same quality sound? Thanks in advance. - Barry

#15126 08/29/03 02:21 AM
Barry, that's right, watch that "songs". I don't know what a Norah Jones is, so I can't make any comparisons there, but let me specifically suggest one item to start(of course I could list dozens)which has some rather flashy music in excellent sound: Respighi, Roman Festivals,et al, Dutoit with the Montreal Symphony, London LON 410 145(previously gave an outdated number for this CD). It's shown as available now at the Borders in Plantation; the Borders right in Coral Springs apparently would have to order it.

#15127 08/29/03 02:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Classical music in reference-quality sound? As usual, there are too many to suggest. But I'd like to say one thing first. When people are talking about "referece-grade" recording, many think about those eye-popping "high-resolution" recordings taken with multiple microphones placed extremely near-field (within a few feet of instruments). However, the majority of truly good classical CDs these days do NOT aim at that type of effects. Rather, they focus on reproducing the sound and ambience that you experience at live concerts in various real-world venues, where you mostly hear far-field sounds. Accordingly, studio recordings are less and less popular these days in classical genres; rather, they go out to concert halls, churches, and European castles for the "location" recordings. The main mics are mostly set far-field, with some assistance from near-field tracks.

And yes, many of the recordings from the "early digital era" do not sound too good. The recording engineers were too "ambitious" and the digital equipment hadn't yet come to age. Recordings made after 1990 or so are usually far better. Especially, in my experience, the Deutsche Grammophon "4D Audio" series and the Teldec label almost never fail in sound quality.

That said, if you would like some of the more "popular" classical pieces in reference-grade sound, one of the first things I have to suggest is Disney's Fantasia 2000 DVD (James Levine/Chicago Symphony Orchestra). Especially, listen to (and watch) Respighi's Pines of Rome, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and Stravensky's Firebird Suite, definitely in the DTS 5.1 mode. The recording quality is just amazing. Although the soundtrack does not contain any artificial LFEs, a good subwoofer is a must in order to reproduce the smashes of bass drums and timpanis, and attacks of tubas and string bass.

You said you like the Nutcracker suite. Then I would strongly suggest this DVD production of the Nutcracker ballet by George Balanchine/New York City Ballet. Tchaikovski's music is beautiful, recording is excellent, and the movie-like production of the ballet is just fun and engaging. My daughters really love this one. Macaulay Culkin (Home Alone) does an excellent job as the Nutcracker Prince.

Okay, back to CD's -- here are some of my recent purchases of relatively popular pieces, all with impressive recording qualities:

Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez. Sharon Isbin (guitar) / Lawrence Foster / Lausanne Chamber Orchestra. Excellent sound of guitar in front of a small orchestra.

Holst - The Planets. John Eliot Gardiner / Philharmonia Orchestra. Very colorful orchestral sounds.

Beethoven - Symphony No.9. Nikolaus Harnoncourt / The Chamber Orchestra of Europe. The performance and recording are both excellent; with a relatively small orchestra, simulating Beethoven's period.

Renee Fleming. Excerpts from various operas - Pucchini, Massenet, Bizet, Verdi, et al. If you would like some classical vocal. Excellent recording, too.

Last edited by sushi; 08/29/03 02:50 AM.
#15128 08/29/03 04:59 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
As a church organist, I have to throw my two cents in.

Durufle Requiem-IMHO, the most beautiful setting of the requiem out there. Be sure to get the Robert Shaw recording with the Atlanta Symphony.

R. Vaughan Williams, A Sea Symphony-Very exciting, you need the Andrew Davis recording, with the waves and shore on the cover.

You can't go wrong with Bach or Mendelssohn organ works, just make sure you have your subwoofer on for those 32' pedal notes.

#15129 08/29/03 11:25 AM
old hand
old hand
Weebo:

Just a few favourites from what I have. I will not repost what I had earlier in this thread. These recommendations (if you can call it that) should be "safe" if you like LvB's 9th or the Nutcracker Suite

Dvorak Symphony 9 (LSO/Kondrashin) and American Suite (RPO/Dorati) on Decca
Tchaikovsky Complete Nutcracker (Kirov/Pletnev) on Philips -- fits on one CD!!
Beethoven Symphony 5 & 9 (WP/Kleiber) on DG
Strauss Eine Alpensinfonie (WP/Thielemann) on DG
Sibelius Tone Poems (Philharmonia/Ashkenzay) should be now on 2 Double Decca CDs

Just a few ideas. Good luck!

#15130 08/29/03 04:48 PM
veteran
veteran
Let me know how you liked the Yo Yo Ma CD. One thing is that the quality of the recordings are usually first class as well as the quality of the performances.

#15131 08/29/03 09:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I listened to it a couple of times. It's still not the type of thing I would listen to normally, but it was interesting to get to hear the different insturments and some of the detail in the music. There was one track I particulary liked (sorry, it's been a couple of weeks, I don't know which on it was anymore). Overall I liked it, it's just not the genre I would choose to listen to normally.

#15132 08/30/03 12:02 AM
old hand
old hand
Would like all of your suggestions about quality recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
And, JohnK, tonight I finally got around to buying the Smetana: Ma Vlast - Paavo Berglund/Dresden State Orchestra. Will be listening to it tomorrow - it will be my first opportunity to listen to classical music on the Axioms.

Mark

#15133 08/30/03 06:11 AM
Mark, I'm surprised that scads of baroque fans haven't piled in. They might gasp in horror to read that when I'm in the mood for a musical traversal of the seasons I'm more likely to put on Glazunov rather than Vivaldi. Having said that, the Vivaldi concertos are big, of course, with CDs all over the place. I'd suggest that you try something that Craig(spiff)has on RCA 61710. Jose Luis Garcia does the violin honors and the couplings to the Four Seasons are more interesting than most: James Galway does a Vivaldi Flute Concerto and Kazuhito Yamashita does a guitar concerto. Philadelphia area Borders and Tower Records show it as requiring an order. Incidentally, when you play Ma Vlast note the trumpet work near the end of Sarka.

#15134 08/30/03 06:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My favorite requiem is Faure. I almost cry every time I listen to Sanctus.

I recommend Herreweghe / Orchestre des Champs Elysees (Harmonia Mundi).

#15135 08/30/03 06:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Vladimir Ashkenazy - Chopin piano music (Ballade No. 1 in G minor, knock out) Polygram;

Minnesota Orchestra - Copland, Fanfare for the Common Man, Symphony No. 3, etc., Reference Recording - tremendous.

Richard Danielpour's An American Requiem, Reference Recording, incredible - remembering 9/11

Respighi's Church Windows, Reference Recordings,

I think you'll get a kick out of these on your Axiom systems!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#15136 08/30/03 09:29 PM
buff
buff
Ok, so i have many cd's of old opera performances. I listen to them and it pains me that the humanity of the performances predated the technology we have now. However, the performances are often far superior to those on newer, technologically superior cd's. When i get my axioms, am i going to be unable to listen to the Beecham Boheme, or old DeSabata/Callas/Gobbi/DiStefano Tosca. I don't listen to music to hear technology. Say it isn't so. What say you John K, Sushi, etc....and should i change my order to the 60's instead of the 22's - no home theater for me!

#15137 08/30/03 10:00 PM
Dharm, I also have quite a few CDs of older(mostly orchestral)performances. I don't believe in attempting to cover up sonic blemishes, so the better the speakers, the better my enjoyment of whatever fidelity does happen to be on the disc.

Even if no HT is going to be involved, the bass that a good sub can provide, both because of its design and the ability to position it more optimally for bass(usually in a corner)than could be done with a full-range speaker, would make M22s plus sub better for those organ pedals than M60s alone. Of course, if you're not going with a sub, the M60s would be better.

#15138 08/30/03 10:25 PM
buff
buff
Thanks, John - I know i need a sub, from listening to 22's with Peter. Just hard to know if i could be happy listening to the 60's w/o a sub. I won't be listening in anything close to audiophile environment - just a living room with lots of hard surfaces, glass on 90% of a 30' wall, hardwood floors. It's cruel punishment for good speakers, but it's where i listen. Are the 60's much more placement sensitive than the 22s?

#15139 08/30/03 10:26 PM
old hand
old hand
Dharmatone:

I have no problems listening to Gobbi, Casals, Tureck, Busch and company, etc etc ... with revealing Axioms. Yes poorly transferred material will sound much worse, but in general I actually find mono VOCAL recordings to be much more vivid than stereo -- at the expense of dynamic range of course. I'm not sure if the engineers aim for a different sound when they process old master tapes. Or maybe they just dick around with it less.

You'll be fine. You can't find a Baron Scarpia better than Gobbi anyways

#15140 08/30/03 10:31 PM
buff
buff
ogs20 - si, "e avanti lui trematta tutti roma" (sp?)

#15141 08/30/03 11:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I don't listen to music to hear technology.

dharmatone,

I am with you on this one. For my enjoyment of music, the quality of performance is definitely more important than the quality of recording. This is the reason why I don't favor the RR label very much (no offense, 2x6 -- in fact, Eiji Oue/Minnesota is excellent).

I also agree with John. In my experience, a subwoofer helps a lot in 2-channel music listening (even if all you listen to is a baroque chamber orchestra), especially when the main speakers are bookshelfs. M22 vs. M60 really is your call, but do you plan on a sub at all?

#15142 08/30/03 11:18 PM
buff
buff
sushi, after listening to the 22's i know if will buy a sub if i go that way. i can't afford the 60's and a sub,and since i haven't listend to the 60's, i don't know if i'll be happy listening to the 60's w/o one. Also, I don't know if the 60's are more placement sensitive. I listen in very non-audiophile living/dining room. 14x30, 90%glass wall on one long wall, hardwood floors, sheet rock, minimal soft stuff - couch, 2 club chairs, no soft on walls, no book cases. Hope I haven't scared you away with that description.

#15143 08/30/03 11:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sure you scared me a heck out of it! LOL

Seriously, it indeed seems like a large and very "live" room. But where and how are the speakers and the listening couch placed? What's the listening distance? What are the distances from the speakers to the front/side walls?

#15144 08/31/03 12:29 AM
buff
buff
sushi, i sent you an email to the address posted on your profile with 2 photos that show you the space. Too hard to use words.

#15145 08/31/03 03:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Got it. My reply is on its way.

#15146 09/01/03 09:59 AM
local
local
Hello, I dont know if this has already been suggested but I dont feel like reading through five pages of posts
If you've never been to www.digitallyimported.com or (www.di.fm) Id suggest checking it out. At the bottom of their streams page they have classical music as an option - if you're looking into classical music and dont know what you like (except for laid back vs stormy )ICheck it out, while it plays in winamp or whathaveyou, it shows whats playing - Ive discovered a load of music I would've never known that way. If you have winamp I guess you could just click this link - http://di.fm/mp3/classical128k.pls
just my 2 cents

1xAxiom ax 1.2 2xPolk Audio R30 2xMordaunt-Short 3.0 H/K AVR 225 Paradigm PDR-10 Sub HTR MX-500
#15147 09/01/03 06:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, good suggestion, freesey! I discovered the Mostly Classical net-radio channel via the Apple iTunes software a long time ago. The iTunes, and its Wintel equivalents, will give you quite a few classical net-radio channels that are out there, and all of them of course display what is being played.

Also, I highly recommend the net-broadcast of my local classical FM station: www.wrr101.com. IMO, the programming of WRR is unusually "sophisticated" as an FM station -- you aren't just forced into the "top-100" popular classical only. I continue to encounter the pieces that I've never known before through this FM station.

#15148 09/01/03 07:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
And how funny! Since 2 days ago or so, WRR is doing its annual "Clasical Top 40" gathered by the listeners' votes.

Right now playing: This year's No. 5 -- Dvorak Symphony No.9 "From the New World."

#15149 09/01/03 11:30 PM
Yes Masa, I've been tuning into WRR a bit and could barely contain my excitement as the Top 40 was run down. No.2, the Four Seasons and then as we all waited breathlessly, No.1, and still champ, the Beethoven 9th. I listen to the streaming audio of course, and feed the USB port on my computer into my receiver with an Xitel HiFi Link since I don't have a USB input on any receiver. Do you ever use the USB input on your 45TX to listen to any of the hundreds of classical stations worldwide?

#15150 09/02/03 03:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sure, John, but only occasionally. Faced with the resolution of the Hales/Axioms, the sound quality of net-streams just doesn't cut it (even with those 128kbps stations). But my 45TX is always ready with a USB cable dangled for my laptop (unfortunately, the USB port is on the back of the receiver).

#15151 09/02/03 03:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here are last year's WRR Classical Top 40. All familiar faces. For those who wish to try some "popular" classical pieces, this is a good place to start.

1. Beethoven Symphony #9 "Choral"
2. Vivaldi Four Seasons
3. Barber Adagio for Strings
4. Mozart Requiem
5. Bach Toccata and Fugue in d minor
6. Beethoven Symphony #5
7. Dvorak Symphony #9 "New World"
8. Beethoven Piano Concerto #5 "Emperor"
9. Bach Brandenburg Concertos
10. Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
11. Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture
12. Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
13. Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade
14. Pachelbel Canon in D
15. Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis
16. Beethoven Symphony #6 "Pastoral"
17. Ravel Bolero
18. Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition
19. Copland Appalachian Spring
20. Holst Planets
21. Mozart Symphony #41 "Jupiter"
22. Beethoven Symphony #7 in A
23. Wagner Ring
24. Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2
25. Handel Water Music
26. Orff Carmina Burana
27. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1
28. Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain
29. Bach Mass in B minor
30. Beethoven Piano Sonata #14 "Moonlight"
31. Handel Messiah
32. Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
33. Haydn Trumpet Concerto
34. Beethoven Symphony #3 "Eroica"
35. Albinoni Adagio
36. Saint-Saens Symphony #3 "Organ Symphony"
37. Respighi Pines of Rome
38. Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto
39. Mozart Marriage of Figaro: Overture
40. Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #3

Strictly from my personal point of view, too bad Mahler is not listed for the last few years! In 1999, two Mahler Symphonies were on the list (No.2 "Resurrection" at 27th, and No.1 "Titan" at 35th) -- and you know why? Maestro Andrew Litton / DSO was going through a Mahler series in the subscription concerts till that year. A simple local factor.

#15152 09/02/03 11:55 AM
old hand
old hand
[List ...]

Strictly from my personal point of view, too bad Mahler is not listed for the last few years!

--

You know what I find interesting. No Brahms, Bruckner, Bartok ... and that's just a few B's!! Yet FIVE LvB symphonies? Yuck!

#15153 09/02/03 04:40 PM
What about Chopin? Is the piano falling out of popularity?

#15154 09/02/03 07:06 PM
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Sushi,

I have the Fantasia 2000 DVD and really like it. I am surprised that you suggested it, however, as I think all of the performances are cut for time and I would think that would irritate the purists.

My favorite is Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue. Any suggestions on a great full recording of it? Other composers that I should check out?

#15155 09/02/03 10:37 PM
Scott, there're dozens of CDs which include the Rhapsody, but Bernstein's performance(now on Sony 63086, also available on SACD)has never been bettered.

So far as other composers, plenty you should check out, of course, but I'll repeat Rachmaninoff(Symphonic Dances, Batiz, Naxos NXS 8.550583), Ravel(if you'd care for a gorgeous collection of singing and vocalizing by Anna Moffo, try RCA 7831),Respighi(Pines of Rome, etc. with Dutoit on London LON 410 145), Smetana(Ma Vlast with Berglund on Seraphim SPH 73736).

#15156 09/02/03 11:46 PM
old hand
old hand
Sushi -
Just rented and finished watching the Fantasia 2000 DVD - amazing sound - loved the Pomp and Circumstance and Rhapsody in Blue. Let me to buy the CD which is also excellent! Thanks for the suggestion. The Axioms definitely excel in reproducing well-recorded classical music.

JohnK -
Listened to the Berglund Ma Vlast - it was the first time I have heard it in years and I was amazed at how many of its beautiful melodies I remembered. I am curious as to which other Ma Vlast recordings you would recommend and how they compare fidelity-wise with the Berglund.

Mark

#15157 09/03/03 02:24 AM
Mark, I own six Ma Vlasts and have listened to quite a few more. Mainly, it's the music that counts, not the sound(one is from the late '30s)but sure, I could suggest some other good performances in good sound. What were your impressions of the Berglund performance and sound? That might help to tailor other suggestions.

#15158 09/03/03 03:06 AM
old hand
old hand
John,

I am not speaking entirely of the sound in this case. I found the opening segments that suggest the flowing of water rather rushed. I felt like a good deal of the instruments were one big mass of sound and not easily differentiated from each other. I guess what I am really looking for is just a list of some other recordings to compare the overall impression with what I remember hearing many years ago. Its not that I didn't like the Berglund - it just didn't sound dynamic enough to me.

Mark

#15159 09/03/03 04:24 AM
As always, Mark, I suppose that we're running into semantics and artistic license here. Actually, if you'd have told me that you'd heard another Ma Vlast and what you were looking for, I'd have suggested the Berglund. The tempos are on the moderate side, actually slightly slower than average overall(e.g. my 6 CDs in Vysehrad:13:43, 14:36,15:05,15:07,15:11(Berglund),15:17). Overall timings of all the CDs vary from about 70-78 minutes. Generally symphonic sound is supposed to blend, without too much highlighting of individual instruments(ironically, this is a point on which the Berglund was criticized in one of the reviews, i.e. a bit too close-up sound, especially the trumpets). So, I think that it has the best combination of sound and performance available, but my second favorite is the Kubelik, Boston Symphony on DG 429 183. This has a wider fluctuation of tempi(slower in most, faster in Sarka)and the sound is a bit lighter in the bass, possibly giving an impression of a bit more clarity. Give it a try; Borders in Bryn Mawr, King of Prussia, and Springfield show it in stock for about $11.

#15160 09/03/03 06:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

You know what I find interesting. No Brahms, Bruckner, Bartok

LOL LOL Didn't realize that they were missing till now! Yeah, it's bizzare that Brahms Symphony No.1 wasn't there at the very least... Not that these B's are more important than Mahler, though.

Seriously, I think Dallasites really love Russian music.

In reply to:

I have the Fantasia 2000 DVD and really like it. I am surprised that you suggested it, however, as I think all of the performances are cut for time and I would think that would irritate the purists.

It's okay, as long as you don't end your listening there. I think that the Fantasia 2000 is a SUPERB (re-)introduction to classical music, for astute classical loves, and for those who have never cared about classical music before.

#15161 09/03/03 11:05 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
OK, thanks to everyone's suggestions I ended up ordering the following:

Respighi, Roman Festivals,et al, Dutoit with the Montreal Symphony, London LON 410 145 as recommended by JohnK

Holst-The Planets; Fantasia 2000; and the Nutcracker ballet by George Balanchine/New York City Ballet; all recommended by Sushi (with very helpful links).

Now I patiently wait for them to arrive and I think that should get me started.

PS - Are there really no Norah Jones fans here at all? OK, I know it's not classical, but she did win 7 Grammy’s and I think classical fans would enjoy the change of pace. Very soothing voice.

#15162 09/03/03 11:35 PM
You can count me as a Norah Jones fan. I was lucky enough to see her live when she was still a "nobody." She was a guest performer at a Charlie Hunter show I saw at Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland in 2002 (I think?). I also picked up her CD for $9 when it first came out. What a steal!

I also have her Live in New Orleans DVD. I ripped the songs off it and made myself a CD of the live music, too.

#15163 09/04/03 01:36 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Yeah, I had a chance to see her locally right after the Grammy's but had other plans. How is the live DVD compared to the CD?

#15164 09/04/03 01:39 AM
Barry, due to your mention, while I was at the library I picked up Come Away With Me. The sound is okay, but what makes it seem more impressive is that it's miked extremely close-up and the sound level on the CD is set quite high, higher than anything I own, so I had to turn it down significantly. After listening, I do have one thought about something you might enjoy: the beautiful singing and vocalizing of Anna Moffo on RCA 7831, which I've recommended before and which gives me endless pleasure. Note that the sound is nowhere near as loud or close-up as the Jones CD, but the music...

#15165 09/04/03 09:34 PM
I think the live DVD is a good purchase. There's some new material on there and she plays many of the songs from her CD a little bit differently. I have to say, though, that Norah really needs to work on her stage presence. A lot of the time it looks like she's bored.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters