Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Classical Music suggestions? (sushi?)
#15060 07/16/03 04:16 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
This is directed mainly at Sushi, but if anyone else happens to be a classical music fan(guru) please chime in!

I know you know your classical music, so could you make some suggestions for me. I prefer laid back, mellow classical over big and loud. I love cello and piano, though anything peaceful is nice. I don't know all that much about classical, but I think I also prefer 19th and 20th century composers over most (but not all) 18th century. I like the richer, fuller sound that most of the more "modern" pieces of music I've heard have over the older works. (am I nuts, or is this actually true?)

I also have learned to really HATE bad recordings since I've upgraded my entire system. *sigh*...it's nice to have great equipment, but now bad cd's sound so...well - bad.

Any suggestions?

Re: Classical Music suggestions? (sushi?)
#15061 07/16/03 04:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not hugely knowledgeable about classical music (beyond Music 101), but my wife and I have been listening to a bit while she's pregnant in order to get the "Mozart Effect" on our son. Just my observation from our limited classical collection, but the recordings with smaller ensembles seem to sound better than full orchestras. Knowing that you like techno stuff, you might appreciate some of Bach's harpsichord concertos for multiple harpsichords.

#15062 07/16/03 04:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Since this thread started....I'd be interested in the loud/thunderous side if there are any suggestions of good ones there as well.

I bought my first sampling into the genre...a 4 CD set called Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music.
It's an ensamble(SP?) of some of the better know pieces. About 60 pieces for about $15.

#15063 07/16/03 05:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Spiffnme:

If you like the cello you must try the Bach Cello Suites -- Fournier on Archiv or Starker on Mercury have both good sound and sound (pun intended) performance.

For 19th century, you may want to try Brahms' chamber music (Piano Trio #1 and String Sextet #1 are my favourites) or maybe some of Dvorak's (Piano Trios, some of his late string quartets, etc.)

Good luck.

P.s. It was me who posted that wanted ad on agon, but I replied to the wrong address

#15064 07/16/03 06:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I prefer laid back, mellow classical over big and loud…

[snip]

…but I think I also prefer 19th and 20th century composers over most (but not all) 18th century. I like the richer, fuller sound that most of the more “modern” pieces of music…

If I read these statements at the face value, I have to say that OGS20 is right on the money. I second his suggestion of chamber works from the broader “romantic” school, including, in addition to Brahms and Dvorak as mentioned, Schubert, Debussy, Franck, Elgar, Barber, and even late pieces of Beethoven to name an eclectic few.

But many moments of these romantic chamber music can be the exact opposite of “laid-back” and “mellow” (despite that there will be many mellow passages as well). With respect to the absolute “loudness,” they by no means approach 20-century full orchestral works. But the musical content can be highly agitating and even thunderous; sometimes it is truly surprising to hear the huge swing of sonority that a string quartet or piano trio can produce.

If you rather like “peaceful” yet “rich” sounds, you may well prefer, for example, orchestral works of Mozart and Bach. Bach’s orchestral suites and Brandenburg concertos, as well as Mozart’s mid and late symphonies and concertos, may be an excellent place to start.

You know, this is really a tough question. If you could give me a few classical pieces that you’ve heard and liked a lot, it would be much easier for me to start from there! For example, do you like any particular "orchestral" movie soundtrack?

#15065 07/16/03 07:06 PM
local
local
Run - do not walk - to your local classical CD shop and pick up the Cleveland Quartet recording: Debussy: Quartet in G major & Ravel: Quartet in F major. If you can't find them, see who else they have doing the Ravel and grab what looks like the most carefully recorded version. You'll love it.

#15066 07/16/03 07:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Zarak,

To name a few of my own favorites from the “loud and thunderous” category...

- Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique
- Wagner, popular overtures from Tannhauser, Meistersinger, etc.
- Mussorgsky/Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition
- Last but not least, Mahler’s symphonies, especially Nos. 2, 5 and 8.

But ALL of these pieces contain infinitesimally quiet moments too, providing an excellent test for the micro- and macro-dynamics of your system. If you feel you want to “ride” the volume knob while listening to these works, I would say something is wrong in your equipment.

#15067 07/16/03 07:21 PM
old hand
old hand
If you rather like “peaceful” yet “rich” sounds, you may well prefer ... Bach’s orchestral suites and Brandenburg concertos

--

Sushi: I would disagree. I'm somewhat of a Bach fanatic, the Brandenburg Concerti are hardly "peaceful" -- for example, Harnoncourt's Brandenberg, with the celli and the harpsichord pounding away, sounds more "rock" than "baroque"; but yeah, the Mozart (yawn) is very "peaceful"

Spiffnme, the "problem" in this case is really, the piano didn't exist until the 19th century, and by that time music has become quite romantic (i.e. not peaceful); and the cello was also used more as an accompaniment than as a solo instrument until that same time. The music you're looking for may be in short supply (but of course, I may have misunderstood).

#15068 07/16/03 07:56 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Spiffnme, years ago I was sort of in the same boat.. I found this collection at Sams Club of all places.. "Masters of Classical music", by a firm called Delta Music Inc, with the digital work by Laser Light.. This is a 10 cd set..
Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, J. Strauss, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Chopin, Schubert, and Verdi..
I found it to be a great 'starter' box.. It still pops up at places like Sams Club, Costco, etc.. It's very well done, and holds up even under the scrutinizing eyes of my M80's.. I believe it goes for around 15 to 18 bucks..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#15069 07/16/03 08:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LOL, OGS20. Yeah, I too have Harnoncourt's recordings of the Brandenberg's (in fact, I am his fan!) and have to agree with you on that one.

One caution on those "best classical collection" type of CDs: Unfortunately, the recording quality often sucks a BIG TIME in these CD sets. The recording techniques for classical music have come a long way, and AS LONG AS you select from the "original label" recordings made within the last 10 years or so with reputable artists, you rarely encounter a "bad" recording. But when it comes to those "best collection" type of sets, NO GUARANTEE in the recording quality whatsoever.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters