Re: advice on HVAC silencing
bridgman #151140 11/13/06 02:48 AM
T
Typhoon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
But is it worth doing the whole s-shape in the heating pipes and lining the outside of the returns, or should I just put safe&sound everywhere and leave it at that?

Typhoon #151141 11/13/06 11:03 AM
J
regular
regular
J
I was in the PHVAC business for 27 years, so I can tell you that you need to be very careful about making changes to your duct system.
HVAC ducts are sized to deliver proper airflow so you get even, efficient heating and cooling. The whole system is sized and designed based on heat loss (winter) and heat gain (summer).
I'd strongly suggest that you get a good contractor to look at your system and evaluate what you can and can't do.
Jack

Typhoon #151142 11/14/06 03:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Typhoon,

The things you are considering will be good for sound isolation.

Modifying your ducting for an "S" shape is recommended by alot of theatre enthusiasts and seems to work well. The more curves sound has to travel through, the less it will persist through the curves. 4 Products from Owens Corning should be sufficient for duct silencing.

Concerning your resilient channeling. There is a better method that has spread like wildfire on the DIY theatre called green glue.

It is more effective blocking LFE than resilient channeling.

If I had known about this product prior to putting up my drywall, I would have used it. When I started my basement 3 months ago, I didn't know anything about sound proofing. I just started the drywalling and THEN i started researching. Should have done it the other way!

In any case, go here for a comparison of green glue vs resilient channeling. It yeilds better STCs and cost benefit is very high. Go down about half way for the GG vs RC discussion.

Double 1/2" drywall on each side of the wall with resilient channel on one side with insulation will yield 45 STC.

Single 5/8" on one side and double 5/8" with GG on the other side with insulation will yield an STC of 52. And its much easier to use I think. Just regular drywalling with a double layer of drywall with GG sandwhiched in between on the sound side.

Check out that website for all the info you needs, its really quite an amazing product.

Below is a chart of the 2 comparisons.

"A comparison of resilient channel and Green Glue assemblies with 3 total layers of 5/8” drywall, taken in the same lab.

The RC was verified by the lab to be 25 gauge (which is appropriate), and it was properly installed.

Note that while the RC, like GG, yields a very good STC, its low frequency performance is far worse. Remember that, in theory, doubling the mass of the wall would cause a 6dB low frequency performance increase, all other things equal.

If the channel was not properly installed, this difference is likely to be even larger"

Last edited by Hutzal; 11/14/06 03:30 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #151143 11/15/06 05:01 AM
T
Typhoon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
cool stuff. where do i buy the owens corning material?

also, between these 2 choices (ceiling installation only as all walls are exterior walls)
1. double layer roxul safe & sound insulation (as opposed to single layer only), or;
2. single layer only with insulation, but double layer drywall and use the green glue in between

which would be better to reduce sound from travelling upstairs?

lastly, i was thinking of putting roxul s&s around my air returns, but heard if i wrap them in tinfoil or that reflective tape instead i will get good results at reflecting sound. my problem is i have low clearance under my returns and didnt want to reduce it further with the thickness of the insulation.

Typhoon #151144 11/15/06 05:08 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
It's late and I'm tired so I'm not sure if anyone already posted about staggering the studs... at any rate here's a quick link for you Staggered Studs

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Typhoon #151145 11/15/06 03:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>cool stuff. where do i buy the owens corning material?

No clue, find a local insulation distributor. Or look on the Owens Corning webiste.

>>also, between these 2 choices (ceiling installation only as all walls are exterior walls)
1. double layer roxul safe & sound insulation (as opposed to single layer only), or;
2. single layer only with insulation, but double layer drywall and use the green glue in between

Insulation really has a minimal effect on sound transmission than the drywall or GG.

I wouldn'y spend any more on insulation for sound blocking purposes unless you want more for heat transfer purposes.

I think insulation adds about 3 STC to the total STC of a wall. You don't need to double up on that.

A single layer of insulation with double drywall and GG would yield you excellent results.

Keep in mind that just because your walls are all exterior walls against concrete sound can still transmit through the studs up into the joists.

The poeple at GG recommend doing the whole room with double drywall and GG. Although if this isn't in your budget, doing just the ceiling would give you great results. You can email GG, they are very helpfull.

Staggered studs are also amazing. Like the previous poster said.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #151146 11/15/06 04:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A couple of thoughts on this subject, as in my last house, I spent great efforts, money and time building as neutral a room as possible. The aim was soundproofing, as well as being dead - my version of a chamber.

Anyway, on the studs - this is for a non load bearing wall - especially if you follow the link and use 2x2 studs. I did not see that mentioned in the article, but may have missed it.

The essence of all of these treatments is to eliminate sound waves penetrating, or going through the materials. All materials also have a resonance, or frequency at which they will resonate or vibrate. By building with multiple types of materials, the sound waves will not make the traverse completely through a wall/celing/floor, as something in the composition will stop the wave at the frequency.

While it is difficult to tame this, it is not entirely impossible. I used a combination of most of these methods, and as painstaking as it was, the rest of the house rarely had to endure anything noisy.

I would be careful with the load balancing of the HVAC, as it was correctly mentioned that it is a tuned system - or should be to operate efficiently.

BBIBH #151147 11/15/06 06:14 PM
T
Typhoon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
Great advice guys.

My real budget I'm working with for soundproofing is going to be about $1700+tax for a 1000sqft open area basement. My main area for the sound is about 15x15, but I realize the actual soundproofing area is much larger than that.

This budget includes any Roxul safe & sound insulating. I know it's not a huge budget, but most of my $$$ is being spent on getting the basement finished and my audio/video equipment.

I plan to only work at sound proofing for noise travelling up through the first floor to the rest of the house, and not so much for deadening the sound in the basement. Also, I have a cold and hot air returns pretty much running over a quarter of the listening area (i.e. speakers right below), with returns leading to the basement ceiling right over the listening area.

Given my budget, these are my scenarios:

Scenario 1: No Safe and sound anywhere; double drywall and green glue in between layers in 75% of basement ceiling, including around HVAC units

Scenario 2: No Safe & sound anywhere; double drywall and green glue in between layers in listening area only; use Owens Corning material to insulate HVAC unit.

Scenario 3: Safe & sound everywhere; no double drywall or green glue; use Owens Corning material to insulate HVAC unit

Scenario 4: Safe & sound over listening area only; double drywall and green glue in between layers in listening area only; single layer no safe & sound over all other areas in the basement

More advice please would be very helpful.

Typhoon #151148 11/16/06 07:18 AM
T
Typhoon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
any ideas or advice?

Typhoon #151149 11/16/06 02:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If there is really no way for sound to travel upstairs through the walls of your theatre then due to your budget you shouldn't double drywall the walls of your theatre.

I am not sure of all your options. If you are planning to only cover 75% of your ceiling with GG, it will be not be effective. Look at sound like a fish tank, once there is a leak in the tank all the water starts draining at that leak, the water doesn't care about the remaining areas that don't have a leak.

With that said, you don't really need Safe N' Sound insulation, normal 1ft fluffy pink stuff will work just as well, the safe n' sound stuff is just a way to get more money. It won't really add that more STC to your ceiling.

STC is obtained by adding mass and sound absorbing materials. GG absorbs the vibrations so they don't pass through the next drywall sheet and into the studs.

If you can do it, double drywall & GG the ceiling of your theatre room (especially around the HVAC area) and use regular 1ft insulation in the ceiling joists.

You need to make sure when doing double drywall that you mud the cracks of the first layer and let it dry to ensure a flat surface for GG coverage on your next layer.

goto avsforum.com and search "Green Glue" you will find a main thread with questions and answeres from GG makers.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082