Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
XBOX 360 and HD-DVD add-on….
#152085 11/25/06 09:26 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
As I previously posted, I was never a "gamer" in my life. I played a couple of computer games here and there (mostly golf) but never had a console until purchasing an XBOX 360 a few weeks ago. Last night I purchased the HD-DVD add-on and thought I would post some thoughts about the entire experience because I feel as though it's changing the personality of my HT system. I thought this might take a different slant than Michael's (Homedad's) post a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Regarding the XBOX 360 itself, it has really made a change in my system in terms of versatility. My DLP and Axiom setup has been used primarily for TV, CDs and DVDs. The same equipment that previously was used for passive entertainment now offers interactive entertainment. The high-def capabilities of my DLP are not wasted on the XBOXwith it's 720P and 1080i output and games, and the sound system is certainly not wasted on the Dolby Digital XBOXoutput. Blowing up a tank on a big high def monitor and feeling the results from your sub ain't nothin' like any gaming I've done before…. It's totally immersive. My wife and I play games together, and she never thought she'd have one iota of interest. Add the fact that the system can upconvert played DVDs, play CDs, network with your computers, store and play MP3s and videos from it's built-in hard drive, even display your favorite photos on your TV and it's like your whole HT system is transformed…..and I haven't even tried the music streaming and networking capabilities yet!

As mentioned, last night I picked up the HD-DVD external add-on drive with the "King Kong" package for $200. It includes the HD-DVD King Kong movie (Epic Peter Jackson version) and a universal "DVD style" remote. If you want to watch DVDs on your X Box, I'd recommend the remote anyway as it's much easier than using the gaming remote, though it's IR instead of RF. The remote is worth $30 and the movie $25-$30, so if it's a movie you like, adding HD-DVD to your arsenal is only a net cost of around $140..... by far the cheapest way of doing it.

Installation couldn't be easier. You place the included disc into your XBOX 360's drive and choose to install the "update" so the XBOXrecognizes the drive. You then plug the new HD-DVD drive into the wall and into the XBOX via a simple USB cable and that's it.

I haven't watched KK in it's entirety, but rather skipped around to check out the picture quality. Unscientifically, it's the best picture that my native 720P DLP has ever had the priveledge of displaying. I saw the "wow" of the best of broadcast HD, without the compression artifacts that I usually notice on even our better Comcast channels. I'd love to see it on a 1080P monitor, as I know I'm losing 300 lines of rez as it is... but no complaints. It had the most "cinematic" look of any movie I've seen in my living room. Now, as I said, this is an "unscientific" opinion in that I don't have the movie on tradional DVD to compare it to, and I don't have a standalone HD-DVD player to compare the XBOXdrive to. But... I'll stay blissfully ignorant and happy.

You know, I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I shied away from getting a gaming console for many years because I was ignorant to the whole thing. I would walk past a game console display on a Best Buy endcap and watch twelve-year-olds play and have the feeling, I'm guessing, that a computer-illiterate person would have while watching a competant kid on a computer. It seems so overwhelming and they wouldn't know where to start and they're afraid they'll look silly trying to do what looks so easy to others. Well, I'm glad I took the plunge and even though I'm dog-paddling, I'm keeping my head above water and already wondering how I went so long without one of these things. It's now the most-used "source" in my system and has truly helped turn my "home theater" into the entertainment center of the house. It ain't just for kids, folks!

Personally, from what I'm seeing at this point, if I were interested in getting into HD-DVD, I would choose to purchase an XBOX 360, getting all of it's music and gaming capabilities and the HD-DVD add-on instead of spending the money for a standalone HD-DVD player.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: XBOX 360 and HD-DVD add-on….
MarkSJohnson #152086 11/25/06 10:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Mark. Having just bought a 360 about a month ago, I've been eyeing the HD-DVD add-on. Maybe after the holidays, and a couple of gift cerificates later, I can afford one. Went to Best Buy this morning and was looking at the selection of HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays--seems to be an okay mix.

Does the Xbox add-on play standard DVDs as well? I would assume it does.

Oh, I know what you mean about gaming. Having surround sound and a widescreen tv and a nice subwoofer really adds to the immersiveness of games. It's a pretty incredible experience.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
MarkSJohnson #152087 11/26/06 12:57 AM
M
regular
regular
M
Thanks for the post Mark. I know the wife has picked up the XBOX HD-DVD drive for Christams for me...shh...don't tell her I know

MarkSJohnson #152088 11/26/06 01:02 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
The Xbox 360 is my most used source, too. I have both the Toshiba HD-A1 and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on, and while the standalone player has slightly better video quality and of course the analog 5.1 audio outputs for the new sound formats, I have no major problems with the quality of the Xbox 360's add-on. It sure loads a lot quicker. But yeah, I really like playing a mindless game like Bejeweled 2 Deluxe or Lumines Live on my big-screen TV while enjoying all of the music from my PC's hard drive on my nicer sound system.

One of my coworkers stood in line for a PS3, along with his two brothers, his plan of course being to resell them. Well, the going price on eBay dropped very low even on the first day, so he's had trouble unloading them. I caved and went ahead and bought one from him, my main motivation being able to watch Talladega Nights in high-definition, as well as other upcoming Blu-ray titles like Kung Fu Hustle and Sense and Sensibility. I think Blu-ray playback is going to be the main use. I played Resistance: Fall of Man, which seems to be the highest rated launch title for the system, and it really leaves me wanting more after having just played through Gears of War on the Xbox 360. I'm sure there will be better games, but I think Sony may already be too far behind. Not only on that front, but on the multimedia functionality, and certainly in the online arena. Xbox Live has room for improvement, of course. This initial iteration of Sony's online service is a joke, though. It took me five tries just to download the latest system update, and I have yet to be able to download any of the trailers. So yeah, for a while I think the only thing I'll get out of it is Blu-ray playback. It's just amazing to me that Sony is a year later coming to market and not only do they have supply issues, but they can't even compete on features.

C.V.

St_PatGuy #152089 11/26/06 01:30 AM
OP Offline
Quote:

I've been eyeing the HD-DVD add-on. Maybe after the holidays, and a couple of gift cerificates later

Just be aware Sean, that the "King Kong" and remote promo is a limited time offer (no end time listed) and I was told at one CC store that they only have the non-Kong ones left. My local CC had three though!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #152090 11/26/06 01:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good review Mark, pretty much the same way I feel about the entire system, I'm in the same boat as you with the 720p TV, you can now update your 360 over XBOX Live and have it display 1080p, just wish I had 1080p.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
MarkSJohnson #152091 11/26/06 03:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Just be aware Sean, that the "King Kong" and remote promo is a limited time offer

Thanks Mark, but I don't think the budget will permit it. Too many presents to buy for other people. . .man, who came up with that dumb rule. . .

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters