Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Holiday Gift Ideas.
Amie #152472 12/11/06 03:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Lightbulb! It just occurred to me that you may be able to help! I have a very young 65-year-old on my list who is absolutely impossible to buy for. Everybody either gets him a collection of unusual imported beers (but I can't imagine trying to pick some out of that thread!) or scotch, and frankly, that's gotten old. He's retired, loves to go on long drives (like from here to Newfoundland long), is traveling to New Zealand in February for a month, and doesn't need any travel books on said country. Two years ago I bought him a vintage Leaf's jersey which he wore till it was holey. He plays hockey twice a week, and spends the rest of his time volunteering. *What* does this man really want for Christmas?!?

Amie, I used to play hockey quite a bit. If anything, the most annoying thing is dull skates. It's hard to tell if they need a sharpening, and when you finally realize, you're in the middle of a game or whatever and are like "man, these things need to be sharpened."

It's kind of like the put-a-turtle-into-cold-water-and-then-heat-it-up-to-boiling phenomenon where you don't realize the small change.

Anyways, since he travels a lot, he might not have a chance to get his skates sharpened, especially if he plays outdoor hockey.

So, I'd recommend a hand held skate sharpener. It won't replace professional sharpening, but if he needs a quick sharpen it will keep them sharp for longer, which is always a big plus. Playing on rough outdoor ice really dings up skates more than smooth, indoor ice. And with the outdoor hockey season approaching...perfect gift!

Also, it doesn't break the wallet. :-)

http://www.hockeygiant.com/skatemate.html

It might be good with some other gift, like...a

Maple leaf key chain/key set: http://shop.nhl.com/sm-executive-promoti...pi-2116876.html

or a

Maple Leaf's hockey book (It will be a good display item): http://www.amazon.com/Maple-Leaf-Legends-Torontos-Hockey/dp/1551925532

If he wore the maple leaf jersey a long time, he must like the leafs. And for any fan, more team pride is always a plus!

Re: Holiday Gift Ideas.
michael_d #152473 12/11/06 05:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
His wife has picked up a pocket-sized digital camera for the trip, so that idea is taken, but good suggestion. I went to the airport to pick Ian up from a trip, and while I was there I bought a few travel gadgets that he doesn't have, which will be helpful on a 24 hour flight!

Dan, the skatesharpener is a very, very cool idea. Off to see if I can find it up here - no luck with the Rubbermaid car seat cooler / organizer, which surprised me a lot.

Thanks everyone!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020