Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Some advice for a completely new system...
#15249 07/17/03 05:38 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Ok guys, first off I have to say y'all are easily one of the most informed group of posters I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Your level of knowledge and willingness to help your fellow home theater nuts is most impressive.

I've got a wonderful problem, if you can truly call it that. I'm finally going to be able to upgrade to a first-rate home theater system, and have become completely lost in trying to decide what to buy. I'm in the process of renovating a 1922 office building, the top floor of which is to become my new 2400 square foot apartment. As such, I've got pretty much free reign to build a dedicated home theater room. The room, as it now stands, is going to be 12' x 24', with a 10' flat ceiling. The left and back walls are brick, with three windows along the left wall and two along the back wall. Each window is 3 feet from the floor, four feet high, and each is 42" wide. I'm leaning toowards putting down carpet in this room, but right now the floors are hardwood. The front wall is typical sheetrock, and the remaining "wall" to the right is currently open. Seating is yet to be determined, but figure a couch, loveseat, coffee table, and maybe a chair or two.

So far, I've got a 50" RCA plasma (at a remarkable deal), and am pretty much set on the Epic 80 system, with an additional sub and two more QS8s for rear center surround.

For components, I'm trying to decide between separates or a top of the line receiver. I already have a Panasonic DVD-XP82 that I think is going to be a great DVD player, but that option is up in the air as well.

So, the choices are as follows:
Denon AVR-5803
Integra DTA-9.4 and Integra DTC-9.4

I've never had seperates before, but would have no problem with the connections, settings, etc. I plan to spend alot of time getting this right.

I imagine this system will be used mainly for DVD/TV viewing, but I'm quite partial to old country and bluegrass as well.

Well, there it is. Where do I go from here? Like I said, I'm completely lost in the separates world in regard to what's good/what's bad, so I'm turning to your collective wisdom to help guide me.

Also, I know that Axiom makes great speakers (as a side note, Axiom seems to remind me of the early days of Porsche or BMW, a company where the engineers rule and pure performance seems to be driving every decision) but would I be better served to step up a price point or two to match the rest of the system? Not "match" in regards to pure dollars spent, but simply to get better performance.

Sorry this turned into such a long post, but I wanted to get out as much info as possible to help you guys guide me through this "problem!"

Re: Some advice for a completely new system...
#15250 07/17/03 07:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow...sounds like you're going to have a really great setup when you're done! I wish I had a room like that.

Sounds like you've got your speaker choices well covered.

As far as separates vs. a flagship receiver, I'd go with the separates. What is your budget for this? Here are a few suggestions in Rotel gear. Rotel is considered one of the best bang for your buck makers of amps and preamps available. I personally have the 1075/1066 5.1 setup and love it. If for no other reason processor technology is changing all the time. If you buy an all-in-one receiver, and want to upgrade to the latest processor technology, you're going to end up having to replace the entire unit. With separates you can keep your amps and just upgrade the processor. There are other reasons as well, but that's a pretty big one.

Rotel RB-1075 (120x5)
Rotel RB-1070 (130x2)
Rotel RSP-1066 (7.1 processor)
This will give you 120/130 watts/ch into 7.1 for $3200 msrp (DON'T pay full msrp!) You can find this very slightly used for <$2500

RB-1095 (200x5)
RB-1080 (200x2)
RSP-1066 (7.1 processor)
The next step up in Rotel separates would give you 200/ch @ $4500 (again, look around and you could find this for closer to $3000)

Finally if you want the TOP of the line Rotel setup...

RB-1090 (380x2)
RB-1095 (200x5)
RSP-1098 processor (new flag ship 7.1 processor)
This set up will set you back $7000 msrp.

If you look on Ebay and Audiogon.com you can find great deals on amps. Most amps are built like tanks and will last for years and years. So you can get a great piece of gear that's only a few months old, and save hundreds of dollars.

Happy shopping! Enjoy your new HT!!!

#15251 07/17/03 04:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Spiff,
You don't sell Rotel for a living do you?
A Rotel spokeman perhaps?
Paid ad campaigns?

You must REALLY love that Rotel.
Have you tried any other brand separates? (just curiuos)
This new Parasound Halo lineup has me drooling.

Sooprman6,
Although budget here may not be a limitation, the world will not become a greener place if the decision to go the 'easier' route is taken and an integrated a/v receiver is purchased.
Certainly the Denon 5803 is an exceptional choice for your home theatre and for a newbie, it is a good place to start. If you so decide to venture into separates later on, selilng the 5803 on the used market would not be hard to do. Ignore the Integra line. They are overpriced Onkyos with not much more to offer.
In reply to:

The left and back walls are brick, with three windows along the left wall and two along the back wall. Each window is 3 feet from the floor, four feet high, and each is 42" wide. I'm leaning toowards putting down carpet in this room, but right now the floors are hardwood. The front wall is typical sheetrock, and the remaining "wall" to the right is currently open. Seating is yet to be determined, but figure a couch, loveseat, coffee table, and maybe a chair or two.

This sounds like your room is going to have ALOT of hard, reflective surfaces. The Axioms are a bright speaker (but detailed) to begin with, but in placing them into a room with so many reflections you may find some ringing or harshness occurring in the sound. Virtually any speaker in a highly reflective area will not sound nearly as smooth as it should. I think you certainly should consider some type of carpeting (even just an area rug if you do not want to cover up all the hardwood floor) and possibly some wall fixtures like drapes, tapestries or maybe some art deco acoustical baffles of sorts. Try to cut down on some of the echoes.

It certainly sounds like you are going to have quote the HT system in a very short time. Send in some pictures as it comes about if you can.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#15252 07/17/03 05:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have no affiliation with Rotel. I just like what I have, and cannot fairly speak of other product which I know nothing about.

I'm also a huge "bang-for-the-buck" kind of guy, and much like Axiom, Rotel is in that same league when it comes to separates.

I also agree that some wall hangings, or something to help "deaden" that room would probably do wonders for the sound.

#15253 07/17/03 05:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm just poking fun spiff.
You just had more quotes on Rotel prices than my local audioshop monthly newletter.

I've heard good things about Rotel and it is certainly in my price range. Perhaps someday soon i'll see about taking some home to tinker with.
Do you have any shots of your gear to share?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#15254 07/17/03 05:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I need to take some new pics. The ones I have now are outdated. I've since got the M60's, a rack, and finally wall mounted my surrounds. I'll posts some new pics soon.

#15255 07/17/03 08:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
These guys are very knowledgable and have taught me huge amounts of useful info. If money were no option, I would look into the Parasound Halo line up (I can't stop thinking about what I heard at GG, Chess! I want to go back with some of my own discs, but what's the point?). 2x6spds (another member on this board) reported excellent results using factory rehabbed Onkyo 2 channel receivers connected to more expensive processing equipment to power one of his HTs. Might save a couple bucks to at least power the rears with one.

I'm jealous of all you guys with separate HT rooms. If I had bought the house next door I'd have one too. 5hit!

#15256 07/17/03 08:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
big will, if you play your music loud enough, you might drive them out. then the realtor would hear what a jerk you are, be unable to sell the house at full value, and you could steal it!

#15257 07/17/03 08:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You callin' me a jerk?

#15258 07/17/03 09:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
no no, that's what your neighbors will think when you drive them out with your music and sub cranked up. sorry if you misunderstood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters