Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bookshelf speakers-gasp!-actually on a bookshe
lomb7 #152542 12/01/06 05:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey Craig, welcome back! Had any good Green Flash beer lately? Perhaps that would help with your wadding dilemma.

Scott, there is good advice here. The M22's would probably be just fine if you take the time to set them on the front edge of a shelf, and a bit of care to not crowd them with cabinetry or other stuff. The W series is another great suggestion.

But please do your very best to nix the idea of having the sub inside any cabinetry. That's not going to be good for anything or anyone. There are many attractive and/or inconspicuous highly capable subs nowadays.

I don't know how handy you are or how much discretion you have relative to the construction of your dwelling, but I've often thought that - if you have to make the sub disappear completely - a built-in infinite baffle design could be a good option. Hella lotta trouble, though.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: Bookshelf speakers-gasp!-actually on a bookshelf!
Ajax #152543 12/01/06 11:42 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

Quote:

Well Ok then. I will get my panties out of a wad.

UGH! Unfortunate visual image.

Well then I won't mention any discoloration issues.

tomtuttle #152544 12/02/06 02:59 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

Hey Craig, welcome back! Had any good Green Flash beer lately? Perhaps that would help with your wadding dilemma.

Scott, there is good advice here. The M22's would probably be just fine if you take the time to set them on the front edge of a shelf, and a bit of care to not crowd them with cabinetry or other stuff. The W series is another great suggestion.

But please do your very best to nix the idea of having the sub inside any cabinetry. That's not going to be good for anything or anyone. There are many attractive and/or inconspicuous highly capable subs nowadays.

I don't know how handy you are or how much discretion you have relative to the construction of your dwelling, but I've often thought that - if you have to make the sub disappear completely - a built-in infinite baffle design could be a good option. Hella lotta trouble, though.

A man after my own heart. The Ben Franklin quote is the motto of a friends brewery - though not on their website anymore... www.lazymagnolia.com Before Katrina hit us, I was their pecan roaster. I still work at the brewery on occasion doing their stainless welding and odd equipment repairs, but I can't keep up with their brewing schedule for the pecans...

OK, sorry, way off topic. Since the cabinets aren't finalized yet I've still got room to make the shelves as tall or wide as needed, so I could potentially have room for a pair of M80's if planned properly, and I could section off a book-free opening (all wood), as loose or tight as recommended. As much as I'd like to not shelve the speakers, we ARE going to have a pretty large set of cabinets (162" wide). The room would be way too bare without it. Having the speakers outboard of that would put a focal point way beyond the listening area. At that distance apart, angling the speakers ~22 deg each inward would probably create its own set of sonic troubles. I would think that having the front speakers facing forward. just outboard of the TV (61" DLP, 84" center to center at the tweeters), set on the front edge of the shelves as tomtuttle indicated, would sound alot better. Like I said, I'm not an audiophile.
I've looked at the In-Ceiling/floor/wall subwoofers from the likes of Velodyne, Polk, Def Tech, and am a little wary of these with so few reviews. I do have complete attic access above the room, just finding the sweet spot will be a little tricky - maybe I could get the Mrs to hold them up on the ceiling while I listen around the room. LOL

Comments still welcome. This is over by no means. I'm still learning AND trying to keep peace.

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #152545 12/02/06 04:25 AM
devotee
devotee
Hey 401- Is 401 classic in reference to an American motors product, by any chance?

duckman #152546 12/02/06 07:51 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It is indeed! I have a 1964 Rambler Classic that is in the long, slow process of being reworked top to bottom, including a twin turbo AMC 401 that has been stroked to 423. Short block just back from the shop a couple of weeks ago! This is the kind of hill I'm willing to die on - no compromises here. So I don't mind giving in on the sound system too much, provided I don't screw it up completely. Hence the questions here.

Scott

Last edited by a401classic; 12/02/06 07:52 AM.

Scott

My HT
a401classic #152547 12/02/06 06:01 PM
devotee
devotee
To tell you the truth, this process it pretty hard to screw up. The only screw up I had was not convincing the wife from the first go around to allow me to get the speakers I really wanted. Once she caved in I did get what I wanted yet the cost associated with not doing it right the first time is what I term a screw up.

Work on the WAF factor, get that cemented then get the "right" system that you will be happy with for some years to come. last thing you want to do is get the M22's then wish you had the M60's.

lomb7 #152548 12/02/06 09:39 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OMGLOL -- We usually don't clash on very many things, so I actually had to look up WAF. ROFL, and caught in the act. The Mrs steps in and looks over my shoulder... Apparently the speaker thing isn't a hill SHE particularly wants to die on, so I've got tentative approval on finish-matching speakers - dark cherry veneer - here I come! That still leaves me with a really wide sound stage for a short listening depth if I put M60's or 80's outside the entertainment unit. And I'm still hoping for some comments with respect to in-ceiling subwoofers.

Thanks for all those who have chimed in.

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #152549 12/02/06 10:28 PM
devotee
devotee
twin turbo 401- Holy crap That'll show them chevy boys Javelins here,7 of em, none drivable of course.
I think the macrame baskets would be a small tradeoff to lose the wall unit.
A while back, someone on here posted pics of his room featuring flown m80's and an IB sub in the wall. He had 2 18's opening into the garage.I think there was a link to his web page as the account i read was pretty detailed, it didn't look that hard. Don't know how well an attic would work. Have you considered building some w-series axioms into the ec itself? Would you be able to stash a sub behind the couch or other large object? If you're stuck with a sub in cabenatry I would stay with a sealed type sub. The Martin-logan dynamo is a well liked option you might look at. The other ML subs look like they would disappear into a corner with a potted plant hiding them. Of course that just doubled the speaker budget.

a401classic #152550 12/03/06 05:22 AM
devotee
devotee
Well, my job here is done. I have made the WAF transition seamless for you. You can thank me with $$ or beer. If beer is first then I am sure I will forget all about the $$.

I would do your homework on the M60 vs the M80's. From what I have heard, there really is not a major difference between the two (I have not heard the M80's). With your short listening depth I do not see the need for the M80. Also, by going the M60 route you can "compromise" (or at least tell you wife that) with the smaller of the two (M60). This will make you look like you are taking in her feelings on the matter, not just getting the biggest baddest thing out there.

Regrding in-ceiling subs. To me, does not sound like you would be getting anywhere near the SQ as I think you are looking for. If I were you I would call Axiom directly and ask the question. They are very fair with their advice.

So, I leave you now with my wife advice now done. No need to cheer or praise my name....well you can if you want to. I know Jack still has the shrine of me up.

lomb7 #152551 12/03/06 02:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I know Jack still has the shrine of me up.

LOMB!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616