Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Any Wii owners out there ?
#152610 12/01/06 06:11 PM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm thinking about adding the Wii to the kids Christmas list, I haven't heard much about it, I'm wondering if its a good system and about the quality of the games. Any help deciding would be appreciated.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Re: Any Wii owners out there ?
HomeDad #152611 12/01/06 06:22 PM
shareholder in the making
Y'all knew I was going to post something from Ars Technica, didn't you?

Review

Also, Bren will be along shortly to post a Penny Arcade comic.

Seriously, I have read that it is a whole lot of fun and generally a great system.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
HomeDad #152612 12/01/06 06:33 PM
J
J
I have a few aquaintances that have managed to pick one up, They say the interaction is addicting, definately brings the gaming experience to a new level. It did make for some new learning curves on game play, though. Best game they have tried is of course Zelda. But the packaged sports games are fun. Good luck finding one.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
HomeDad #152613 12/01/06 07:20 PM
devotee
devotee
I've tried some games on it at my local gamestop store. I tried a few sports games, and it's definitely fun to control the game in such a unique way. One of the games was a racing game (all terrain) and you had to hold the controller with both hands and twist it left and right like you would a steering wheel. It takes a little bit to get used to it but it definitely gives a more "authentic" feel for many games.

As much as I liked the controls I'm not sure I'm sold on them. I tend to like a more tangible gaming experience and if I really wanted more realism in a racing game I would just get a steering wheel. I have the feeling that I would get tired of the controls pretty quick.

Now the Wii definitely would be fun for kids who might like the fact more than adults that they can "be" spider-man as they control the character (for isntance for spider-man to throw his web you have to motion the controller in the way he acts, so it's a great pretend!)

For myself I would definitely get a PS3 or a XBOX 360 but for kids it might be worthwile to consider the Wii, on top of that it does play gamecube games (even my wife would love to be able to play Luigi's Mansion since she's a Mario freak).

skyhawk669 #152614 12/01/06 07:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Of the 3 current next-gen consoles the Wii is the one I want.

I guess I'm still a kid, since I love the immersive factor of throwing my arms around. Of course, I have guitar hero 1 and 2 and enjoy the hell out of both...

-james

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
HomeDad #152615 12/01/06 11:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've heard various discussion online and in mags by "official reviewers" and they compare XBox360, PS3, and the Wii.

----Start Disclaimer----

The following is just my summary of most of what I have read. There are people all over the board on these systems, and I usually try to ignore the people that just rave or, on the flip side, rant about one system. I like reading the reviews that put logic behind their answers and not just "its cute", or "I hate it because it is Microsoft", etc.

----End Disclaimer----

Right now (emphasis on the "now" part), PS3 should be on the bottom of everyone's list (have I made you mad yet?).

Not because it is bad, but with such a short supply, getting one costs way more than it is worth (unless you can actually find one in stock for regular price).

The Wii is cool. I really want to try one out. The graphics are supposed to be "sub"-XBox360 and PS3, but it is less than half the price, and a real "fun" system. Again, good luck finding one.

One place recommended for Christmas 2006 that the XBox360 is the best way to go. 1) you can actually get one, 2) the games and accessories are more developed, meaning better use of the gaming engines, graphics, sound, etc, 3) you won't get shot or stabbed when you buy one.

Don't forget, at E3 this year, the "Big 3" were on display, and XBox360 has a small line waiting to play, PS3, a "moderate" waiting line, but the Wii had people waiting upwards of 4 hours to give it a shot, and the line was very long.

Although, will it have enough to hang on, or will it become too much of a gimmic and people lose interest when the PS3 starts getting out there more...

Either way, can I come over and play?

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #152616 12/02/06 01:14 AM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I decided to go ahead and get the Wii with a couple games for the kids (maybe that will keep them away from my 360 )
I'm going to actually agree with you Nick about the PS3, Sony did a horrible job of getting their product to the public, it's no longer even on my list. I'm really happy with the HD DVD addition to the 360 so now I'm rooting for HDDVD.
If you ever make it to Calif. you are welcome to come over for some gaming, as long as you bring that lunch you offered me awhile back

HomeDad #152617 12/02/06 03:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

If you ever make it to Calif. you are welcome to come over for some gaming, as long as you bring that lunch you offered me awhile back

I'll bring some good ol' Iowa steaks and chops from corn fed cattle and hogs...

(Don't start the grill yet, though. I don't see me making it to California any time soon.)

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #152618 12/03/06 11:29 AM
devotee
devotee
BEHOLD THE CRAAPY CELLPHONE PICTURE OF DOOM!

So yes I own a Wii, I've had it since launch day and I love the thing. Wii Sports and Zelda have been thoroughly enjoyable for me and my friends (wii sports), granted we're a little biased as five of us own Wii's

It works just fine with my Axiom's and my projector. My only caution would be the sensor bar. It has a 10ft cable and needs to go in the center either above or below your screen. If all your gear is stuffed in the back somewhere you might have a cable running on your floor for a bit.

There are 3rd party extension cables, and a wireless sensor bar coming as well, but they're not quite out yet. I actually managed to sneak mine behind the fabric below my screen so you can't even see the cable.

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up at daphoid@gmail.com, I've been over this thing with a fine toothed comb and have been reading about it since 6 months ago, so I can answer pretty much every question, complete with a non-fanboy attitude.

If it matters at all, I'm not a 14 year old gamer, I'm 23 and a successful college graduate

Cheers,

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Daphoid #152619 12/03/06 06:25 PM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Sean, I may take you up on that offer of help, thanks. It should be arriving in the next couple of days, unfortunately I can't play with it till after Christmas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters