Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Amp and preamp recommendations for M60s or M22
viking #152936 12/06/06 02:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Rick, I read about the equipment you recommended on Rotel's website and although its a little more than I really want to spend I may go ahead with them anyways. I called a local audio store that carries Rotel products and when I told him that I was going to use them to power the Axiom M60s he said he had never heard of Axiom before. I told him that they were an online only company and then he felt he needed to warn me by telling me that a trick that online companies like Axion do is to offer a 30 day trial period because they know once people here the speakers even if they are just "OK" they wont return them. He also said that if they were that good they would be out competing in the retail market. He feels like I should go down and audition some of the products he has from his showroom. So what do you think, is he just trying to "make a sale" or is any of what he says valid. Maybe a little bit of both?

LOL! Interesting that he would classify the opportunity to listen to the speakers at your leisure, in your own home, and with your own equipment as a "trick." Ask him if he'll give you his speakers for 30 days to try in your home, and give you full price back if you don't care for them without a restocking fee. And, after he sold you the speakers that he sells, I'd wager the farm, he'd recommend giving those speakers a good 30 days to properly "break in" before you make any decisions. Somehow, I doubt he would classify that as a "trick".

I'm always a bit leery of someone who tries to sell me by running down the competition rather than telling me why I should buy his product. Sorta reminds me of the current crop of politicians who spend all their time telling me why I shouldn't vote for the other candidate, rather than telling me what he stands for and why I should vote for him/her. Yuck!

Never forget that that salesman's job is to get your money out of your pocket and into his. Though those of us here will plead guilty to being biased in favor of Axioms, because we like and own them, in the long run, we really don't care what you buy as long as you end up with a system that pleases you as much as ours please us.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #152937 12/06/06 03:08 AM
V
viking Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
V
Yeah I agree. Well, thanks to help of everyone I have decided to go with what Rick suggested and that will be:

Rotel RC 1070 combined with the Rotel RB 1080 and the Axiom M60s.

So I guess I have to buy the Rotel equipment from my local audio store. Are the prices pretty much set in stone? I think he quoted me $1500 for the pair ($499 for one and $1000 for the other)

Also, I am going to need cables for all of this? Can someone tell me what cables I will need and where to find them for the best price?

Thanks!

viking #152938 12/06/06 03:40 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
That will be a real nice system. As for cables I would suggest Bluejean cables or Monoprice.

When I was shopping for Rotel gear I couldn't find a dealer that would discount the price. They said that Rotel doesn't allow them to do so.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Re: Amp and preamp recommendations for M60s or M22s
viking #152939 12/06/06 05:30 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Vike, in my view there's no good reason to seriously consider spending more than about $300 for the power requirements. If you want to stay with just two channels the 3480 Rick suggested would be a good choice, but the future flexibility which an HT receiver offers, as Robb pointed out, suggests that you consider that. Also keep in mind that the HT receiver has bass management which can be used even in a two speaker plus sub setup.

For cables, MonoPrice can't be beat.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Wid #152940 12/06/06 01:43 PM
V
viking Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
V
Rick, I did not realize that you first recommended the receiver model HK 3480 before recommending the Rotel RC 1070 combined with the Rotel RB 1080. JohnK also recommended the receiver HK3480. I know I told you that I have decided to go with the Rotel equipment but I am wondering now, what would I stand to lose in sound quality, calrity and performance if I decided to go with the HK3480 receiver instead? I know I would save a lot of money doing it that way which would be nice but I also want a system that will play my music with a lot of clarity. Thanks.

Wid #152941 12/06/06 02:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>Bluejean cables or Monoprice.

This is for sure true. I had all the time in the world to decide where to order my cables from. I discovered that Monoprice.com can't be beat for video cables, and bluejeanscable can't be beat for speaker wire.

Monoprice.com's bulk 12 guage comes to around 0.5 cents per foot, bluejeanscable.com is 0.38 cents per foot and has a better build quality and look to it (being wrapped in a single PVC sleeve).

I just ordered all my cables 3 days ago and that is who i ordered from.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
viking #152942 12/06/06 03:04 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Believe me that H/K 3480 is one heck of a receiver. A friend of mine plus my brother in law has the same exact unit. I wouldn't for a moment hesitate to own that unit. Don’t get me wrong I really like my Rotel equipment but the 3480 is just to good to pass up for the money.

If it matter's or not Stereophile has the 3480 on there list of recommended components

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #152943 12/06/06 05:09 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Viking....

I, and several others on this board, use the Rotel 1070 / 1080 combo for two channel systems. I think it's a wonderful set up and have no plans to change it out with anything else. If you can afford it, then go for it. You will not be disappointed.

If money is an issue with you right now (as it is with most of us, all the time....), then I'd give that HK a whirl. I have not heard it, but if Ricky recommends it, you can bet that it's a dandy.

For cables, I have used Blue Jeans, Axiom, Monoprice, Home Depot, Radio Shack.......As hard as I've tried to convince myself that I could hear a difference, I really couldn't. The Axiom cables looked the best if that means anything to you. Just get some 12 gauge and don't worry about it anymore. Put the money you save into some CD's....

michael_d #152944 12/06/06 08:48 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I came to this thread late, so please indulge me.

As many know, I bought my Axioms during the time they were in their infancy, and had a retail presence. Their business model has changed, but suffice to say that I auditioned many brands in my listening room, and still made the decision to purchase them. The return policy and service teams are definitely impressive, and I would say that this helps Axiom be successfull.

With regards to auditioning, absolutely, go and listen....listent o everything he has. When you are done, find another store and listen more!!! As mentioned, it is best if you can listen in your own environment, but few dealers will allow this. I have several stores/dealers that I have good working relationships with, and built the level of trust that they will allow me this courtesy. However, some folks simply exploit the nice gesture and then buy a similar product used, or somewhere cheaper. Sometimes the extra cost can be worth it!!!

But I am rambling again.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020