Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I have decided: HD-DVD is my winner
Jim_Perkins #153815 12/27/06 06:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I recently bought PS3, so I now have Blu-Ray. I never owned a game console and I though it was a good time to have one, considering BR capabilities. I agree with another person post in this forum, that video improvements from Standard DVD to HDDVD are not as noticable as from standard TV to HD TV, no doubt. I fact I was very dissappointed with Talladega Nights that it came with, and then Superman Returns. However, much better with All Kings Men and World Trade Center. Netflix is the way to go: why put money on building a movie library that my be obsolate?!! You'd be suprised to learn how many BR titles they have available, and the upgrade is free!

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
thyname #153816 12/27/06 10:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How about the difference between standard TV to DVD or VCR to DVD in comparison to DVD to H-DVD/BR?

Zarak #153817 12/27/06 10:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Pretty much like the former. Probably is a matter of expectations: first time I had my new HDTV three years ago I was stunned by it.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
thyname #153818 12/27/06 11:12 PM
N
frequent flier
frequent flier
N
I have a 360 myself and am going to wait too. One reason is that even though the 360 offers a $200 upgrade, you still have to hook it up to your TV via component and not HDMI which hurts pic quality (IMHO). Also, god forbid they release some HDDVDs that require HDCP. In that case, without an HDMI hookup, that HDDVD drive for the 360 will be no more than a glorified DVD drive because it won't show the movie in HD.

I don't care which one wins, I just want one to so I can go get a unit.

Of course if it's HDDVD and MS gets off their collective arses and figures out an HDMI hookup for the 360, $200 doesn't sound half bad.

Mitsubishi 62" DLP Pioneer VSX-84TXSi SA 8300HD XBOX 360 Axiom Epic 80.500 7.1 Speakers
nicholc2 #153819 12/28/06 05:51 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Picked up the Toshiba HD-A2 from the local future shop today. Got them to price match Best Buy at $449.99 CDN which I was quite happy with as I also got 3 movies for the price of 2(Boxing week special). Picked up V for Vendetta, Last Samurai and Batman Begins.

While I am impressed with the HD-DVD picture I was even more impressed with the up-conversion of regular DVDs and all I've tried so far for regular dvd are back-up copies. In a word stunning. I can't believe the difference between this and the supposed up converting players. No comparison.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Zarak #153820 12/28/06 09:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

How about the difference between standard TV to DVD or VCR to DVD in comparison to DVD to H-DVD/BR?

I posted this at the AVS forums.

Moving from SD broadcast television to HD broadcast television I saw a huge improvement. Going from SD DVD to HD DVD I was not as impressed. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would score it as follows:

VHS gets a 1.

SD television (documentaries or movies) gets a 2 or 3.

SD DVD's, assuming a top quality transfer, get a 5 to 6.

HD broadcast tv (not TNT HD movies which suck) like Discovery HD theater, 9

HD-DVD, Batman Begins the only HD-DVD I have so far, 8

HD-DVD Documentary, hopefully a 9+ when they arrive.

I watch on a 106" screen in a dark room with a Sanyo Z4 PJ. Toshiba A2 goes HDMI to my Onkyo 604 and HDMI to the PJ. Comcast cable and Sony DVD player go component to the 604 and component to the PJ.

The question for others and myself is why have I not seen as big a jump in PQ with HD-DVD as I have with HD broadcast? My answers are that going from SD broadcast Discovery channel programming to Discovery HD is moving from about the worst quality image to about the best so of course I'd see a dramatic improvement. I think everyone would agree that SD-DVD's are quite a bit better than SD tv so naturally the move to HD-DVD doesn't have as much room for improvement. Also, documentaries are often shot in HD as opposed to being transferred from film so there is an advantage there as well. Furthermore, movies may be shot for mood and visual effect whereas HD documentaries are all about a big gorgeous image.

The biggest improvement I saw with Batman Begins is in the fine detail, titles and text. Maybe this movie isn't the best exampe? And FWIW, I had both versions playing last night about two minutes apart. I would watch two minutes of the SD version and then two minutes of the HD version.

The guy I bought my A2 from lied and said the three documentary titles I wanted were in stock but of course they didn't ship with my player. So I now wonder if anyone who has a documentary HD-DVD, how does it compare to broadcast HD programming?

I am not disappointed in HD-DVD, I just haven't had the same wow factor I got the first time I saw lions in the Serengeti on my screen and it seemed like they were right there. Maybe part of it is the 16:9 HD signal filling a full 16:9 screen and Batman being 2.35 there is less visual impact with the smaller screen area?

Curious how others would rate the image quality of the different formats.

Greg

I have since learned that Batman Begins is a good HD-DVD movie, but not a great one. Supposedly King Kong and Hulk are quite a bit better than Batman Begins.

Last edited by GregM; 12/28/06 09:48 PM.
GregM #153821 12/28/06 10:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've found in my situation watching on a 42' plasma, that HDDVD is far superior to standard DVD's as well as to broadcasts shown in HD over DirecTv.
I've read before that some people who are using projectors have not felt the benefits of HD vs SD were significantly different.
I've compared King Kong, Polar Express and Corpse Bride from HD DVD to DVD and in each case there is a world of difference, of course there are different qualities of HDDVD as well as standard DVD's, but for the ones I own I would have to rate them visually a 10.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #153822 12/28/06 10:50 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I'm enjoying the hell out of these HD DVD's. I'm shooting them onto a 96" 2.35 screen with a Panny 900.

I've heard, but can't confirm, that HD DVD's really come to life with a 1080P projector or other display device. I'm currently taking the 1080P data and downconverting it to 720P. So I'm guessing that with a 1080P display, the difference between SD and HD dvd's will be similar to SD and HD TV programming.

HomeDad #153823 12/29/06 03:46 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

I've found in my situation watching on a 42' plasma, that HDDVD is far superior to standard DVD's as well as to broadcasts shown in HD over DirecTv.
I've read before that some people who are using projectors have not felt the benefits of HD vs SD were significantly different.
I've compared King Kong, Polar Express and Corpse Bride from HD DVD to DVD and in each case there is a world of difference, of course there are different qualities of HDDVD as well as standard DVD's, but for the ones I own I would have to rate them visually a 10.

Interesting . . .

I have only seen Comcast's HD signal and I can't imagine seeing anything better. INHD used to have this five minute documentary on Africa and I would swear the screen was the proverbial window looking into the African Savannah. I have not heard many good thing's about Direct TV's HD broadcasting but I have not seen it myself so I can't comment.

I hope I am not limited by my PJ but since I have seen glorious HD programming, I think I'll be okay. Also, Batman isn't the best HD-DVD title as I mentioned. That isn't to say it looks bad or doesn't look a lot better than an SD-DVD, I just didn't get the wow factor I was after.

It would interesting to get together with some folks who have all the iterations of tv signal provider, DLP Rear Projection/LCD/Plasma/Front PJ, HD-DVD, SD-DVD, Blu-Ray and so on and get everyone's opinion on what looks best.

Greg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020