Print Thread
Rate Thread
Do the m22 need stands?
#1542 02/12/02 02:49 AM
N
noor Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I was considering purchasing the m22s and was wondering if I can just place the speakers on a shelf or am I required to place them on the floor with a stand. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance

Re: Do the m22 need stands?
#1543 02/12/02 03:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would strongly suggest getting a pair of rigid stands for the M22's. My pair are on 20 inch fillable stands.

There's at least two problems I can think of with putting your speakers on a shelf. The first is that the shelf might not be rigid enough, and that will hurt you in terms of sound quality. The second is that a shelf position is rarely ideal for speaker placement. Even though the M22's are called "bookshelf" speakers, they need a little breathing room. I have my speakers 18 inches from the front wall (measured from the face of the speaker).

Putting your speakers on stands is a nice way to display them, too. Axioms look great so show them off!

#1544 02/12/02 03:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It comes done to what you want to achieve. If you want them to blend in to your surroundings, and you have bookshelves, place them there. If you want them to be accessible and in the open, do that. You are not mandated to do anything after you purchase them.....except enjoy them!

Your room and decor may dictate where and how they can be placed. As the other post mentions, the optimum sound will come from mounting them at about the height of the listeners position. It comes down to listening position and sound, balanced by what is feasible for you.

My advice would be to stand mount them. That is of course if these will be more than simply for background music.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1545 02/12/02 04:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Bookshelf" is an unfortunate label that compact speakers acquired back in the 1960's with the introduction of Acoustic Research speakers (of course, it helped popularize and drive hi-fi, because AR's acoustic suspension designs enabled deep bass from relatively compact enclosures). But the label stuck, and it implies that any compact speaker may be placed on a bookshelf and the owner will get top performance.

Bookshelf placement ALWAYS compromises sonic performance somewhat. The reason? Designers work hard to minimize "diffraction effects"--cancellations and reinforcements of frequencies caused by the edges of the speaker enclosure. When you place a speaker on a bookshelf, the surrounding shelf and the front of the bookcase in effect become an extension of the speaker's front pane and enclosurel, and this causes response irregularities. Even worse is to recess the speaker on the shelf. Then you introduce a sort of horn-loading effect (try cupping your hands around your mouth and listen to the change in your voice and you'll hear what I mean) on the speaker and it will not be favorable.

BBIBH is correct. For background music purposes, shelf mounting is fine. But for a neutral, well-designed musical speaker, bookshelf mounting significantly compromises all the designer's hard work. So do try and use them on stands.

Regards,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457