Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Any other metal heads on the forum?
JohnK #154349 01/03/07 02:11 PM
shareholder in the making
John, are you a fan of choral music? Can you recommend any must have discs in that area?

cameron #154350 01/03/07 04:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Hmm.. the vibe of the thread has shifted from metal, that's for sure.

Yes, your right and I may be partially responsible. Let me fix that. I'd love to know if there are any forgotten gem CDs out there from these guys that are worth the upgrade to CD or even DVD from a sound sound quality perspective. I find sometimes I buy new CDs of older metal and the sound is aweful. (Something to be said of the memory of sound from an 8 track and cheap 8" speakers in a Chevette that could barely move without losing a part or two.)

Let's see, back to my darker side.....
Amthrax Dio Holloween Motorhead Slayer Y&T
W.A.S.P. Pantera
and of course Black Sabbath & Iron Maiden
others?

Ya admittedly still kind of mainstream for some, but you couldn't get the heavier or obscure stuff in my little province of PEI when I was a kid.

Also, anyone remember a song "Sign of the Hammer" from a lesser know, very heavy metal band. A childhood memory lost to cassettes and comics going into the trash before thinking...

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
cameron #154351 01/03/07 04:40 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Quote:

Hmm.. the vibe of the thread has shifted from metal, that's for sure. (Although at the moment I am listening to Berlioz and loving it ).

I'll add Motorhead - Ace of Spades in SACD - surround sound metal!!!

Also, I just watched Metallica - Cunning Stunts live DVD in 5.1 - sounds amazing on the axioms with EP 500 doing plenty of work. I recommend this for the best live metal in surround. I followed that up with the Live DVD from Seattle '89 on the Live Sh*t box set. Sound quality not as good but the performance and setlist rocked!

Oh yeah, if you have a chance go get Metallica The Videos collection. "One" video for first time on DVD and 5.1 surround.

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
Murph #154352 01/03/07 06:18 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Also, anyone remember a song "Sign of the Hammer" from a lesser know, very heavy metal band. A childhood memory lost to cassettes and comics going into the trash before thinking...

Manowar. I knew a guy in junior high that was a huge fan.

Bren R.

BrenR #154353 01/03/07 06:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

Manowar. I knew a guy in junior high that was a huge fan.

Bren R.

THATS IT!!!!!
Of course I never saw a picture of them before. Now that I have seen them in thier "We can sooo outdo Freddie Mercury" look, I think I might skip searching for the MP3. You ruined it for me. Damn You!! ROFLOL!!!!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #154354 01/03/07 08:24 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
There always seemed to be a fine line between "metal awesomeness" and "homoeroticism"

For example:
Thor - is that a big sword or are you just happy to see me?
Venom - more phallic images : skull staff or stripper pole, Chronos?
Bathory - (RIP Quarthon!)
Raven - I hate to admit I owned this album. Never noticed they wore undies before.

Probably a ton of other examples (even without dipping into hair bands) as well.

Bren R.

BrenR #154355 01/03/07 09:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That is what people look at first (at the pictures) and start despising metal, without even listening to any of it!! I agree, many of their photos create some very, very bad impressions!!! I feel embarassed myself. However, one should really listen prior to trashing them, they might find good surprises (Quarthon, for example).

And yes, Manowar really look stupid in pictures and concerts for that matter, but I can find a lot of great tracks in their long career indeed. Only Majesty (germany) can equal them on how much metal they claim to be (or sing about) instead of producing metal.

As for the good quality metal CDs, I found the majority of the new material really good in my Rotel/Axiom system, however only a few really stand out. Murph, Helloween latest album (Keeper - legacy) is really good sound quality and not such good music quality. I agree older albums, such as "Walls of Jericho" and both "Keepers" even the "remastered" versions do not sound good at all in a good system. Pity they were their best!

I found the last three albums of Iron Maiden (beginning from Brave New World) of great sound quality in my system. If fact, even their older material is not bad either in their "enhanced" third issue CDs. I don't know if you have seen Rock in Rio DVD: one of the best music DVDs ever, sound and picture wise!!!

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
cameron #154356 01/03/07 09:06 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Bren,

I just bought Angel Dust last night off of Amazon. Is it all it's cracked up to be? The reviews are some of the best I've seen for an album. Also, how does is sound on Axioms?

Angel Dust was a great follow-up to "The Real Thing". It was not a commercial hit like "TRT", but sometimes that is a good thing. "Mid-Life Crisis" and "Be Aggressive" are my favorite songs, but there is plenty to enjoy. I just never understood why their follow-up to "Angel Dust" was a cover of Lionel Richie's "Easy"

BrenR #154357 01/03/07 09:24 PM
My eyes!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BrenR #154358 01/04/07 02:53 AM
Metallica never did anything homoerotic.

Well, at least not on album covers.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020