Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Axioms for Christmas
#154866 01/01/07 04:17 PM
bflat Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
My speaker order came quicker than I expected and actually arrived before christmas. I finally took the time to get some pictures so that I could post my theater room here.

This room has been a lot of work over the last year. When we bought the house the basement was unfinished, open, bare concrete. Over the last year we have created a theater, bathroom/darkroom, and bar room. The only things I didn't do myself were mudding and taping the walls and laying the carpet. I designed this room to exceed the movie theater experiance without breaking the bank, and with the full 5.1 Axiom setup, I think I have done it. Now on with the pictures.

My setup is now:
Denon 1906 reciever
Axiom M60 Front
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom QS8 Rear
Axiom EP500 Sub (not shown)

The sub is actually placed behind the first row of seats. It works really well for movies, providing lots of impact, but I am still playing with settings to make it disappear completely for music. I might need to move it.

bflat

Re: New Axioms for Christmas
bflat #154867 01/01/07 04:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Looking good! I like the way your color scheme looks, but how well does it do for watching movies and keeping ambient light reflections down?

Also, have you ever (understanding that you've only had your speakers for about a week or so) wished that you could get the QS8 surrounds a bit wider than your room allows?

I have an unusually shaped room, and placement of the QS8's took a few attempts for me.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
bflat #154868 01/01/07 04:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You did a terrific job, bflat! If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would love to see a photo of one of the wall sconces unlit, so I could get a better idea of what they look like.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
nickbuol #154869 01/01/07 04:54 PM
bflat Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
"Looking good! I like the way your color scheme looks, but how well does it do for watching movies and keeping ambient light reflections down?"

The dark ceiling really helps to keep the light from the projector where it belongs. Ambient light is not bad either, this is in a basement, so I have good light control. The dark frame around the screen provides contrast from the light colored wall around.

"Also, have you ever (understanding that you've only had your speakers for about a week or so) wished that you could get the QS8 surrounds a bit wider than your room allows?"

The qs8's are actually slightly wider than the long row of seats. When calibrating, the L/R levels were actually very close in the prime seating position.

bflat #154870 01/01/07 05:09 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Very nice setup. We know you had a Merry Christmas.

bflat #154871 01/01/07 05:12 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Everything looks great! Hope you enjoy your new gifts.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

bugbitten #154872 01/01/07 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Very nice setup. We know you had a Merry Christmas.

Indeed!

Great job on the room- now sit back, relax and enjoy it.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
bflat #154873 01/01/07 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

"Looking good! I like the way your color scheme looks, but how well does it do for watching movies and keeping ambient light reflections down?"

The dark ceiling really helps to keep the light from the projector where it belongs. Ambient light is not bad either, this is in a basement, so I have good light control. The dark frame around the screen provides contrast from the light colored wall around.

"Also, have you ever (understanding that you've only had your speakers for about a week or so) wished that you could get the QS8 surrounds a bit wider than your room allows?"

The qs8's are actually slightly wider than the long row of seats. When calibrating, the L/R levels were actually very close in the prime seating position.

Sweet. It was hard to tell from the photo angle if the QS8's were wide enough. When will photos be truly 3D? Then we could see it in more detail.

What are the other specs of your system? Projector, screen, video input devices, etc... Come on, many of us are geeks here, and we need these details!

I went with a flat black front wall so my screen image looks like it is just floating there. This past spring, when it was in its "old" location (it was there for about 8 months before I moved it), I had a dark blue wall behind the screen, but had light colored floor and ceiling (it wasn't a dedicated room), so I went black in the dedicated room, but so is the ceiling, and the floors are a dark navy "funky" carpet, so it was almost on extreme to the other.

Either way, looks awesome, and I am sure that you are enjoying it.

Those sconces look similar to ones that I looked at a while back, but ended up going with colored glass. I really liked the size and style of what I think you picked out (hard to tell exactly from the pictures)...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #154874 01/01/07 06:45 PM
bflat Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ok, for the specs of the rest.

Projector - Optoma H31
I went with a 480p projector because it was really cheap, but good picture. I don't have any sources that are HD, so I didn't need the extra res. By the time BluRay and HDDVD come to a reasonable price, I will need a new bulb anyway, so I will just buy another projector.

Screen - Homemade
I made the screen out of a 4x8 sheet of Sintra plastic I bought for $40 from a local sign shop. I think it looks as good as much more expensive screens that I saw in stores.

DVD Player - Pioneer DV-490V-S
It is progressive scan, plays anything I throw at it, DIVX and MPEG4 files, MP3, etc. and has component out. My biggest complaint is that it takes a few seconds to register that it recieved the power on code.

Reciever Denon 1906
Got a good deal on this in hamilton as a model close out. Decent enough reciever, has all the features I need. Don't really have much to compare it to.

VCR - to tune regular cable

Playstation2 - It is almost daunting to play some games on such a big screen. I wish the PS2 had proper 480p output though.

Chairs - Palliser home theater in a box seating.
The fabric is a really soft microfabric. It is really comfortable. Each seat reclines, and has its own cup holder in the armrest. I like these because the chairs and the arms are seperate and I can re-configure them if I please.

I have all the wiring run through the drop cieling and walls so that nothing is showing. I have the electrioncs on a dedicated circuit, and the sub on another dedicated circuit. The wall lights are independant from the pots in the cieling, and they are both on dimmers. I can actually get pretty good ambient light levels with the pots and still watch a movie since they are fairly directional.

bflat

bflat #154875 01/01/07 07:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bflat,

Sounds like you have left nothing undone- terrific job, you thought of everything. That kind of electrical layout will guarantee you won't have any problems down the road with needing more current.

Nick asked for details, and you delivered

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616