Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dolby True HD / DTS HD with receivers / player
packetlosss #155141 01/11/07 10:10 PM
B
local
local
B
I am totally sure that deep colour, etc. is not really going to happen with the receiver. I just figure that I might as well get the most recent upgrade when I do upgrade. And boy do I need to upgrade. My current receiver is so old that it has only one optical input, no component, no HDMI, and only 5 channels. It works well with standard DVD's and singel optical/coaxial in, but that's the extent of it.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #155142 01/12/07 12:31 AM
N
frequent flier
frequent flier
N
Quote:

I am totally sure that deep colour, etc. is not really going to happen with the receiver. I just figure that I might as well get the most recent upgrade when I do upgrade. And boy do I need to upgrade. My current receiver is so old that it has only one optical input, no component, no HDMI, and only 5 channels. It works well with standard DVD's and singel optical/coaxial in, but that's the extent of it.

Also, bear in mind that unless you have a TV that also is HDMI 1.3 and supports and displays "deep color" (currently there are no TVs that do, btw) then you still won't be able to take full advantage. So long as you have a receiver that accepts LPCM and a HDDVD/BD player that decodes the 7.1 audio to LPCM, you are set for now. I know that doesn't apply to you specifically, but for others it might.

IMHO, if you aren't going to go HDMI 1.3 all the way through, HDDVD/BD - receiver - TV, then there's really no need to wait for a receiver alone.

Mitsubishi 62" DLP Pioneer VSX-84TXSi SA 8300HD XBOX 360 Axiom Epic 80.500 7.1 Speakers
nicholc2 #155143 01/12/07 12:38 AM
local
local
Get something for today and always make sure you have an upgrade budget in mind for tomorrow. Life may otherwise become very boring and we would all have 0 posts in these forums.

-------------------------------------
Denon 4308
M80x2,VP150,EP600,4xQS8
Tarun #155144 01/12/07 01:51 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
I think we would still be posting just because the members around here are nice to chat with.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
nicholc2 #155145 01/12/07 03:39 AM
B
local
local
B
Quote:

IMHO, if you aren't going to go HDMI 1.3 all the way through, HDDVD/BD - receiver - TV, then there's really no need to wait for a receiver alone.

This is my hope. Later this year I'll get a receiver with HDMI 1.3, then a second or third generation Blu-ray or HD-DVD player with HDMI 1.3 when prices drop and we have a better understanding how the format war will play out. Then in a couple of years I upgrade my current 720p LCD projector to a new 1080p one also with HDMI 1.3 and bam! I've got it all IF it's needed. The way I see it, the receiver will be the one component that I keep the longest. That's what my experience with home theatre thus far has shown me. So i'm going to wait it out a few more months--well, more likely until October/November I imagine.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #155146 01/18/07 05:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just read great summary about HDMI 1.3 Receivers over at AVSforum. I thought it was good info and would pass along here.

Here is the first post from the AVS thread...
Quote:

"Official" "Why you don't need HDMI 1.3" thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a lot of interest in HDMI 1.3. Many people were hoping for more of an HDMI 1.3 presence at the latest CES 2007 show in the city of Lost Wages.

This thread will (hopefully) clarify some points on why you don't necessarily need to wait for HDMI 1.3 in an AV receiver.

* You don't need HDMI 1.3 to take advantage of Dolby True HD
* You don't need HDMI 1.3 to take advantage of Dolby Digital Plus
* You don't need HDMI 1.3 to take advantage of DTS Master Audio
* While you do need HDMI 1.3 to take advantage of Deep Color, there are no imminent sources for Deep Color
* Even if you did want to wait for HDMI 1.3, there are limitations with passing on the bitstream from the player to the AVR
* 1080p is supported in HDMI 1.1; Some receivers simply did not implement it

If you want to take advantage of any of the new "high definition" audio formats encoded in HD DVD or Blu-ray soundtracks, your receiver needs one of two options. It either needs multi-channel analog inputs, or the ability to properly handle multi-channel PCM. Not all receivers with HDMI inputs handle HDMI audio. Some apparently don't handle multi-channel PCM properly. Of those that handle multi-channel PCM, some won't boost the LFE channel by 10Db which is needed for a proper LFE level. Hopefully all newer receiver models advertising HDMI audio handling will properly handle 5.1 PCM for 5-channel models, and 7.1 PCM for 7-channel models. In the meantime, please read the stickied Future Proof Receiver thread.

Deep Color is not present in any current source. Some people have speculated that it would first appear in video game consoles. Waiting for an HDMI 1.3 receiver to pass Deep Color information makes little sense until there are Deep Color sources, and displays with Deep Color.

Most people seem to know the situation with 1080p and HDMI. Just to clarify though, HDMI has always supported 1080p in the spec. In the future most or all HDMI 1.1 compliant receivers should handle it. An increasingly large number of mid level HDMI receivers are handling 1080p.

What about HDMI 1.2 and 1.2a? The most likely desire for HDMI 1.2 is to pass DSD from an SACD player directly to the receiver. The newer universal players with SACD support can output to PCM similar to how the new high definition audio formats for HD DVD and Blu-ray work. I know of no HDMI 1.2a receiver that has a built in DSD decoder. In summary all other things being equal, current HDMI 1.2a receivers are not adding any value.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617