Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yet another Metal Head with a question.....
HP #155177 01/09/07 06:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
HP, thank you for your advise, I'll check that band out. As for the speakers, I have 60s and am more than happy. However, if I had to do it again, I'd buy 80s, not that I heard them, but if you read all the reviews here.... also, no more buyer's remorse issues, you're all set with 80s.

As for Opeth sound without growling vocals, they do have such album, Deleverance or Damnation I don't remember. Opeth is a little "too progressive" for my tastes, I like more their earlier stuff, until "Blackwater Park".

I would recommend "Edge of Sanity" in Opeth's line, not so much progressive but very close. Their vocalist Dan Swano is #1 in death metal vocals I think. His voice is really deep and at the same time clear and melodic. You can actually figure out the lyrics. Check out "Purgatory Afterflow" and "Crimson"!!! This guy also goes "clean vocals" many times.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
HP #155178 01/09/07 07:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

I've pretty much decided to scrap buying a whole system and get a real good pair of front speakers to start.

That was my logic behind my purchases about two years ago, and I still have the stereo system only. I used to have a SONY HTIB in addition, but was left behind when I moved to my new condo. The "problem" is that my Rotel separates/Axiom 2 channel system is so good that I have become reluctant to add something else. Add here "the wife factor" and .... What will it take to force me complete my surround system?? I don't know. Anyway, pardon my ranting, I think you are in the right track just make sure you chose a good upgrade path if you go initially with 2 channel.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
thyname #155179 01/09/07 09:22 PM
veteran
veteran
Opeth is an aquired taste, at least they were for me. I remember buying the album Still Life roughly 3 years ago and initially I wondered what all the fuss was about. I'm so glad I force fed myself that album, because the phrase "it'll grow on you" doesn't even begin to describe how different the music sounded to me after quite a few listens.

Soon after I started buying the rest of their albums in this order:

Blackwater Park
Deliverance
My Arms Your Hearse
Morningrise - my current favorite
Orchid
Damnation
Ghost Reveries

Damnation is the mellow album with no growling, just singing. I like it, but I love the contrast of the two vocal styles together.

Ghost Reveries has such sweet production. Even though it's a metal album, I would have a hard time finding another album to match it in sound quality.

Morningrise doesn't have near the production, but it's so beautiful once the melodies click (this will take numerous listens, this is a very progressive album).

My absolute favorite song is on Deliverance, and it may be their most accessible. It's called "A Fair Judgement" and it has the most beautiful guitar solo I've ever heard. I usually don't think about the guitar solo first when I think of a song, but I do with this one.

I highly recommend trying to get used to the growling vocals if you can, because if you do start to like them you will have 7 amazing albums chalked full of GREAT music

cameron #155180 01/10/07 03:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Cameron, thank you for your detailed review of Opeth and recommendations. One clarification here: I do enjoy growling vocals a lot, starting with all Melodic Gotheburg Death metal scene up to U.S Death (Chuck Schuldiner R.I.P). It was Ken (kscarlile) complaining about those vocals.

I stoped purchasing Opeth albums after "Blackwater Park". Could you please tell me if their "Ghost.." compares with anything else in the past (Orchid?)? I also think you should hear Edge of Sanity.

thyname #155181 01/11/07 08:32 PM
veteran
veteran
I'll have to check out Edge of Sanity. It sounds like we have some similar tastes, I like Death a lot too. I have Human and The Sound of Perserverance and both are excellent.

As far as Ghost Reveries, I would recommend it just on the sound quality alone. However, as far as the actual music goes it is closer to Blackwater Park than Orchid. It's still very different from their other albums though, I think all their releases have their own style and sound.

I really do recommend Deliverance. Their best back to back songs (IMO) are on that album, A Fair Judgement (I talked about this one above) and Masters Apprentices. Masters A. is very progressive and has a great HEAVY 2 minute intro with a great crunchy riff to go along with some evil as hell vocals. I can just hear him belting out "There is a DEATH I'm awaaaaatiiiiing!!!!!!! ". Great stuff.

cameron #155182 01/11/07 08:34 PM
veteran
veteran
Whoops, check that. There is a short 3 minute mellow song in between A Fair Judgement and M.A., but it is the perfect set-up for the heavy as hell intro to Masters Apprentices.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters