Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Ready to upgrade
HomeDad #155412 01/09/07 05:25 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Looks like the speaker question is answered, thanks for all the input. Now the TV. The great debate Plasma vs. LCD. Since this is going in the family room with a lot of light, I thought plasma. I read many posts and it appears many of you like the Panny's. I was thinking about the 50 or 58" Panny. Is the Pioneer elite worth the money?

M22 VP100 QS8 Integra 8.3 Jamo
bigjim63 #155413 01/09/07 06:10 PM
P
P
Quote:

Looks like the speaker question is answered, thanks for all the input. Now the TV. The great debate Plasma vs. LCD. Since this is going in the family room with a lot of light, I thought plasma. I read many posts and it appears many of you like the Panny's. I was thinking about the 50 or 58" Panny. Is the Pioneer elite worth the money?

How bright is that room? Is it sunlight?

Generally, Plasma color richness will prevail in rooms with lower lighting, while LCDs will be better in brightly lit rooms due to their inherent anti-glare technology.

My Uncle has a 2 year old 42" Panasonic. I have a 46" 1080p Samsung LCD. The color on the Samsung is at least as good as the Panasonic. The picture is significantly sharper on the Samsung.

If your pouring $2000+ into a TV and plan on using it for a while, you really should get a 1080p set. I don't see any 50" 1080p Panasonic plasmas. I think their smallest 1080p model is their 65" model. Pioneer has some 1080p 50" models.

The contrast ratio on the Samsung and Sony LCDs is at 6000:1 whereas it's 10,000:1 on plasmas. Clearly Plasma has richer blacks but the gap is a lot closer than it used to be.

bigjim63 #155414 01/09/07 06:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I would either wait for SED Technology which will be debuting in 2008.

Or go for the new Plasma Technology coming from Pioneer this summer, I would at least wait for this new plasma tech.

"At the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Pioneer has dropped a big bomb. The company claims to have developed a new plasma display panel (PDP) technology that surpasses both LCD and SED regardless of lighting conditions.

What's even more amazing is the fact that Pioneer stated that equipment used to determine contrast ratio of displays "does not have great enough range to measure Pioneer’s new display" and for that reason the company has not yet provided a contrast ratio figure for this new PDP.

Another interesting fact is the product's target launch frame. Pioneer said that this new PDP technology was originally slated for launch in time for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, just like Canon-Toshiba's SED, but now Pioneer has reviewed its schedule and it expects to have the new technology in the U.S. market this summer!

If all their claims end up to be true, plus the fact that the prices LCD televisions are going down very fast, SED could turn out to be a failure before it lauches."

Last edited by Hutzal; 01/09/07 06:35 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #155415 01/09/07 06:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Quote:

I would either wait for SED Technology which will be debuting in 2008.

Or go for the new Plasma Technology coming from Pioneer this summer, I would at least wait for this new plasma tech.

"At the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Pioneer has dropped a big bomb. The company claims to have developed a new plasma display panel (PDP) technology that surpasses both LCD and SED regardless of lighting conditions.

What's even more amazing is the fact that Pioneer stated that equipment used to determine contrast ratio of displays "does not have great enough range to measure Pioneer’s new display" and for that reason the company has not yet provided a contrast ratio figure for this new PDP.

Another interesting fact is the product's target launch frame. Pioneer said that this new PDP technology was originally slated for launch in time for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, just like Canon-Toshiba's SED, but now Pioneer has reviewed its schedule and it expects to have the new technology in the U.S. market this summer!

If all their claims end up to be true, plus the fact that the prices LCD televisions are going down very fast, SED could turn out to be a failure before it lauches."

Weird I was just reading this article about SED today. Seems like there's some question about SED and whether or not it will happen. SED

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Lorenzo1000 #155416 01/09/07 06:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>Weird I was just reading this article about SED today. Seems like there's some question about SED and whether or not it will happen.>>

Ya, its a shame really, I myself was really looking forward to SED simply because i like the clarity and black levels on high end CRTs, and SED is just that with a thin profile. If this new plasma technology is indeed going to trump SED, there will be no reason to buy an SED when it finally comes out, just like the article claims.

Thats really just too bad, SED is superior to plasma and LCD in every way.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #155417 01/09/07 07:42 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
This technology is becoming simular to PC's. As soon as you purchase it, it becomes "old". Patience is not one of my virtues. I finally convinced the wife to upgrade from our current analog Mitsubishi to HDTV and now you suggest to wait. Is summer time a realistic time frame? I can hold out a little longer if the technology is significantly better. This TV is going into the family room that has two windows on the west side of the room. I plan on getting room darkening blinds.

M22 VP100 QS8 Integra 8.3 Jamo
bigjim63 #155418 01/09/07 07:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

This technology is becoming simular to PC's. As soon as you purchase it, it becomes "old". Patience is not one of my virtues. I finally convinced the wife to upgrade from our current analog Mitsubishi to HDTV and now you suggest to wait. Is summer time a realistic time frame? I can hold out a little longer if the technology is significantly better. This TV is going into the family room that has two windows on the west side of the room. I plan on getting room darkening blinds.

I don't know anything about plasmas, I know alot of projectors though I suggest going with what you want, if you want to bite now, you midaswell. The thing with technology is it is usually always delayed, if Pioneer says summer 2007, it may arrive as late as November for the christmas season...who knows!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
bigjim63 #155419 01/09/07 07:51 PM
D
D
I just upgraded to the Pioneer PDP 5070 from a Mitsubishi analog. The picture quality is really incredible. My living room is somewhat neutral, not very dark nor light. I ordered online from Invision Displays.

M80 VP150 QS8
HSU VTF3 MK3
S/N R-771
Oppo DV 981HD
Hutzal #155420 01/09/07 08:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know anything about plasmas, I know alot of projectors though I suggest going with what you want, if you want to bite now, you midaswell. The thing with technology is it is usually always delayed, if Pioneer says summer 2007, it may arrive as late as November for the christmas season...who knows!

Anything new is going to be expensive. Almost all the new plasma displays coming out this year are going to be 1080P but they will of course come with a price tag. From what I've heard if you sit more than 8 or 9 feet away from the TV you won't be able to tell the difference between 1080I and 1080P. Add to this the fact that any 1080P broadcasts are years away so that the only 1080P source you may have are bluray or hd-dvd discs and the cheaper sets like my 720P LG(which looks just great IMHO) seem like a bargain right now. I think it all depends on what you want and are able to afford.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Hutzal #155421 01/09/07 09:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
This is what I'm getting! With all the new technologies coming out and the price of LCD's coming down, I might be able to afford it.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics