Print Thread
Rate Thread
Big Box computer Scams
#155634 01/11/07 03:51 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
First of all, my apologies. You will find I already wrote this in a thread below. I know it's poor etiquette to post it again but because I'm still so bitter, I think it deserves its own post so more will read it and not fall for this either.
-----------
Here is another to watch for in the big box stores selling PCs.

Besides the annoying rant about why the extended warranty is soooo important, the new gimmick is to offer a special package where they will install the latest antivirus, firewall and probably some random piece of third software just to make it the magic number of 3. A cost of two to Three hundred dollars AND you have to leave it there for an extra two days for 'all that' work to be done.

Here is where it goes bad. While I definitely do recommend buying Anti-virus and Firewall SW, many of the mainstream computer companies already preload this software right onto the hard drives as part of the 'value add' package. Stuff like that used to be found in the product description in the store to make you want to buy it. Now, this advertising seems to be missing so they can upsell you the 'service'.

I recently helped my brother in law who needed a new PC in a bad way at 8:00pm to do payroll the next morning. At that time of night, Future Shop was his only option. After choosing a PC and being aware of this scam, I questioned the 'PC expert' as to if it might already be on the HP already? He told me definitely not, we definitely needed this great deal on the package and installation. We declined anyways because he was bugging me and because my brother in law couldn't wait the two days for it to be installed.

So we get it to his home, boot it up and guess what.... "Please enter some information to activate your copy of Norton's Internet Security," Norton's firewall and antivirus in a single box package!

We would have paid him 280 extra dollars to fill in a name or two and then sit back while it automatically downloaded the latest virus updates.

I want his job!!!

Last edited by Murph; 01/11/07 03:52 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Big Box computer Scams
Murph #155635 01/11/07 04:37 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
It just comes down to they are salesman working on commision and don't really know the products they are selling, not enough traning if any. That's just one problem with commision sales, make as much of a sale at any cost.

Back in the early 90's I was looking at purchasing a new car and when I looked underneath the fresh drops off the truck from the factory they already had undercoating on them, but when I went to purchase the car they tried to sell me the "Complete car care package" which included............undercoating! I called them on it and they said they just spray over what was there and in a few spots the factory misses.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #155636 01/11/07 09:09 PM
local
local
What gets me about buying computers at best buy is;
If you want to add more memory, and do it yourself, they try to tell you the warranty is void, if you are not certified to repair computers. then they tell you they will install the memory for about $50 or so. Give me a break. I've never exercised the warranty on the few store bought pc's I have deal with, so I have no idea if they actually void the warranty, but they do have that sticky tape that alerts them the box has been opened.

Another thing that annoys me is all the 'bloatware' or trial versions of software installed on new pc's. I feel it is nothing more than advertising. I wonder how much the manuf gets for selling that little bit of real estate on the system tray. I do realize it ultimately translates to a lower cost for the consumer though. On a pc I will be maintaining, the first thing I do is wipe the hard drive and install the OS from a regular installation disk, not the restore disk. Yea you have to locate the drivers and such, but it puts the pc at a known starting point for the inevitable troubleshooting that follows. Note this probably voids the warranty also.

Randy

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
jakewash #155637 01/11/07 09:39 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

I looked underneath the fresh drops off the truck from the factory they already had undercoating on them, but when I went to purchase the car they tried to sell me the "Complete car care package" which included............undercoating!

That's funny enough. When we were buying Lisa's new car (an off-lease Malibu) they suggested undercoating (it was originally factory undercoated, and the original sale was from the same dealer we bought it from, and they'd done a 1,254,562 point inspection)... I mentioned it was already undercoated. They tried to sell us on Sentinel car marking/tracing, whatever they call it... where they mark the car in hidden spots to keep it from ending up in a chop shop. It's a Malibu, not a Carrera... it's got a 3.1L engine... GM's new 350... you can buy 6-packs of the engines at Costco. To add to it, the car's already marked and registered through their dealership by Sentinel (the previous owner already accepted the upsell).

As for electronics retailers. Too many rants. The 3-tier service warranty spiel... bills with salesman commissions on them when bro and I end up carrying 10 VCRs to the front ourselves while 3 guys are drooling over a blonde looking at a 20" television CRT... and the one guy that suggested "Monster cable is awesome... if I want my stereo to sound like shit (his word) then I could disregard his advice, but I'd be sorry" when I was looking for a "subwoofer" cable.

I bristle every time I walk into one of those places.

Bren R.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters