Re: speaker wires to short.
Murph #155948 01/17/07 07:19 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Quote:

Quote:

Anybody ever tested the resistance of solder in a wire splice? I have, the wire went from .1 ohms to .11, not a big difference, so solder away if you want to.

In the 'data' world, braiding the wire together so that it retains as much symetrical contact as possible is the text book method. The sodder becomes more of an anchor and less required for the conductivity. Alternatively twisting the two wires together at a 90 degree angle to the wire run is considered a bad choice unless you are striclty just wanting electricity or you are hot wiring a car and don't have the time to do a nicer job.

I have no idea how much effect this really has on the travel of audio wavelengths or resistance. Could be just old school textbook rhetoric. I suppose I could test the resistance part......but I'm not gunna.

I can say though that I have seen circuits go down just because the tech didn't squeeze his crymper hard enough on a crymp style connector. The two wires were still definately touching but the difference in how well and how much they contacted was enough that the signal degraded beyond a useful level.

MOre useless facts....See sig.

But while the signal is still in the cable it is just voltage and isn't there a bunch of soldered joints with in your amps, receivers and crossovers? None of the solder in those items seems to cause a problem.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #155949 01/18/07 05:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
But while the signal is still in the cable it is just voltage and isn't there a bunch of soldered joints with in your amps, receivers and crossovers? None of the solder in those items seems to cause a problem.

Solder is an excelent conductor. A properly soldered connection is considered 'electrically continuous', meaning that the conductivity loss it creates is negligable to almost all applications.

However, defects and poor techniques like adding too much solder can actually decrease the conductivity of stranded wires. Also, excess heat can change the chemical properties of the metals involved to the point where the solder and/or copper can become less conductive or even brittle to the point of easier breakage.

Therefore the less soldering you need to make a solid connection, the better.

Those items are for sure. Now here's something for debate. Passing voltage is one thing and and twisting wires together and black taping or soldering should have little effect if done tightly and properly.

but

passing analogue audio also concerns using the wire not just to pass the voltage but also to pass on the proper sine wave/frequency within that voltage to recreate the sound on the other end.

Now I believe that if you use the right guage for the application and use a continuous strand of the same cable all the way for the speaker run that all this hocus pocus about expensive (ie Monster) cables' weave patterns and so on is once again negligable to the sound quality of speaker wire.
but....
When you twist two wires together, does the big temporary bump in guage size and the loss of continuously aligned copper strands have any effect on the accuracy of the wave pattern (frequency) passing through it???? It has to have some effect but is it negligable to our audible application or can one of those 'trained ears' out there notice a difference.

This, I don't know. I could experiment with a scope at work here but I'd probably get a greivance because Im management and somebody would think I'm doing thier job or something.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #155950 01/19/07 05:25 AM
Murph, joining different sizes of wire creates no audible problem; this isn't analogous to a multi-lane superhighway suddenly turning into an 8 foot wide dirt road. The signal that drives the speaker is actually carried in the electromagnetic wave that travels along the outside(not inside)of the wire at nearly the speed of light. The part of the wave energy that penetrates into the wire and latches on to the electrons to guide the wave along the wire is lost as heat(the amount depending on the resistance of the wire)and doesn't directly contribute toward the sound in the speaker. The electrons in the wire move very slowly and if this is what really carried the sound it would take an hour or so for it to reach the speaker.

A good explanation is found at pp.2-3 of a section of the materials which Dr. Lesurf originally prepared as an introduction for his students in electronics and physics at St. Andrews. Keeping the resistance of the length of wire low to minimize the amount of wave energy drawn into the wire and lost is desirable, but for example, joining a short length of 16ga wire to a 12ga wire might result in an overall net gauge of about 12.1, and isn't significant.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #155951 01/19/07 02:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Excellent answer, the theory itself is exactly why I tried to word my question in such a way as to separate the idea of current verses the wave of the frequency. I was indeed wondering about the effect on the signal verses the current itself. I think this still answers it.

I often have to explain to customers why we add "ceiling current" (more voltage than is required to send the data signals) to certain types of data runs. It is is not to improve their signal quality whatsoever nor is it to keep them from tinkering with the cable (shock value) but because having voltage run through copper wire helps to keep it from deteriorating over time.

This explanation would also be handy to explain inductance, i.e. why signals interfere with one another when poorly shielded cables are run close together.

As a useless side point, not that it matters, we could get the electron flow to come very close to keeping up with the electromagnetic wave if we made speakers with a material like Uranium. If I remember correctly, radioactive materials can have electron flow movement at very close to the speed of light. I can see Monster trying to market this as a benefit in their new cables but I'm thinking it won't be very healthy.

P.S.
I had t reread the linked page a few times to 'get it'.
So far in coming to this forum I have benefited from
- Learning tons more about audio theory
- Rediscovered now unpleasant memories of the fashion habits of my old headbanger heroes. (Damn you BrenR)
- actually had to use the algebra I thought would be useless when I grew up.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #155952 01/19/07 06:52 PM
J
J
Quote:

As a useless side point, not that it matters, we could get the electron flow to come very close to keeping up with the electromagnetic wave if we made speakers with a material like Uranium. If I remember correctly, radioactive materials can have electron flow movement at very close to the speed of light. I can see Monster trying to market this as a benefit in their new cables but I'm thinking it won't be very healthy

And the cables could have a nice glow to them, thus you wouldn't want to hide them.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Murph #155953 01/19/07 08:10 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

- Rediscovered now unpleasant memories of the fashion habits of my old headbanger heroes. (Damn you BrenR)

You're welcome.

Bren R.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082