Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Non Axiom related question.
snakeyes #157256 02/01/07 07:38 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
On demand hot water heaters are quite popular in Alaskan bush communities and cabins. In the first few years of use, they’d burn down half the homes they were installed in, but they’ve improved the design considerably since then. You will have to speak to your local code governing entity to see what they will allow. Some are not to UPC, or NEC.

In my home I use a Buderus boiler/hot water heater combo. The water heater has got to be the best I’ve ever seen and the boiler just runs and runs and runs. They’ve both been maintenance free for five years now. The heater does not run out of hot water if the dish washer is running, the washing machine and three AM showers, and it’s very efficient. I filled up my 200 gallon Jacuzzi the other day with hot water to keep the electric Jacuzzi heater off. It kept up with the demand. http://www.buderus.net/Default.aspx?tabid=876&cid=13&ctitle=multi-purpose

littleb #157257 02/01/07 07:40 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Quote:

There you go, now you have a meaningless opinion from someone you don't know which won't help with your decision.

I think that applies to several replies in this thread... including mine!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
real80sman #157258 02/01/07 08:37 PM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Shawn, you're correct I accidently linked the wrong unit, ours would also need to be a LP model. Good info on the hard water, that fact alone might rule out these units, our water leaves residue on our glasses if not dried properly.
I also like Mike's suggestion of the heater/boiler but unless it has a energy saving value I'm sure my wife would veto it.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
JasonEuc #157259 02/01/07 10:07 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Makes plenty of hot water on demand, though for our upstairs bathroom it may take a minute or so for the hot water to flow that far.

This AutoCirc1 or the AutoCirc2 pump will take care of that problem!

real80sman #157260 02/01/07 11:15 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

There are small capillary tubes inside the heater that will VERY easily plug up in a short amount of time.
(...)
The other drawback, is reports of decreased water pressure.

I've been hearing the same issues since I started looking into them. Frequent backflowing is supposed to help with buildup of scale, and some houses are being run on them alone, but they're most useful as "boosters" in WCs far away from the main hot water tank and for jacuzzi tubs.

The idea is sound, I think they just need a bit more time to work out some kinks... the traditional way of leaving the "kettle boiling" all day just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Had a friend that used to turn off his 80 gallon (!?! - for a 700 sq. ft, 1 BR condo!?!) electric water heater whenever he didn't need it... he'd fire it up before showers and dishes, not sure it actually saved any money since it had to bring up a large volume of water up many more degrees than if it was being held at that temp, but he felt like he was stickin' it to the man... so who am I to say?

Bren R.

Wid #157261 02/01/07 11:26 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
It wasn't quite the price of the M60s. The old one, a 40+ year old American Standard, had to be pulled out of the there and it was a monster. It was half full of sediment and weighed a ton. Lugging something like that out of the basement is way beyond my physical capabilities at this point in time. We're happy the way it turned out. I agree that it's probably not too difficult, but I assure you, I could find a way to mess it up.

littleb #157262 02/01/07 11:57 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I hear ya on that, they can be a beast to remove when they get filled with sediment. Wow you got 40+ years out of one, it's 7 to 10 around here if your lucky.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

HomeDad #157263 02/02/07 02:21 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

unless it has a energy saving value I'm sure my wife would veto it.

Efeciency gains depend on what you have now. The Buderus is a “side arm” heat exchanger. You run a loop off the boiler hot water to the tank and a zone valve regulates flow through the tank’s heating coils. Amtrol introduced these things about twenty years ago. Buderus has taken the technology a few steps further with increased insulation, larger coils and a unique holding tank design.

Their boilers are very efficient. They are a European manufacture, and Europe has been years ahead of the US in the utility business for decades. Out of necessity, they have to be innovative.

michael_d #157264 02/02/07 07:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Don't forget that the effectiveness of these heat exchangers also depends upon the temperature of the water in the first place. My understanding is that the available BTU's and the flow rate will dictate how many degrees you can raise the temperature of the water. Consequently, tankless heaters might be a pretty decent option in a place like California, whereas you'd need the industrial-strength one in Alaska.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020